Who was "McDunnough"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was "McDunnough"

In the Joe Davis 40 min interview John Pulman mentions that one time Joe Davis damaged his cue and it had to be repaired by the (as he put it) "stradivarius of cue makers McDunnough" (spelling?).

Anyone know who he was or seen any examples of his cues?

its mentioned around the 12 minute mark in this video.

E. McDonough was a London based cue maker who, prior to setting up on his own account, was with Cox & Yeman for 14 years. In 1908 he was operating from Gartmoor Gardens, Wimbledon Park, supplying to the trade only. He must have been a good age when he was known to John Pulman, but as a manufacturer for the trade it is possible that no cues exist which carry his name.

Comment

I have only seen one example of his work - the cue was plated to him - this was around 25 years ago. It was a beauty!!!. Unfortunatly it is not in my collection. I had a feeling that he worked at Thurstons for a time Peter ?.

Comment

I know virtually nothing about this maker other than the advert below which appears in the World of Billiards (1908). I would suspect that it marked the start of his career as an independent cue maker. Counting back the years he would have been at least in his early 70's in 1951, which I calculate was the date that he fixed Joe Davis' cue. Did you put a date on the named cue which you saw?

Comment

Wow nice to read

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
            I know virtually nothing about this maker other than the advert below which appears in the World of Billiards (1908). I would suspect that it marked the start of his career as an independent cue maker. Counting back the years he would have been at least in his early 70's in 1951, which I calculate was the date that he fixed Joe Davis' cue. Did you put a date on the named cue which you saw?

It was a long time back. However age wise I'd go along with your estimate Peter. I thought the cue was 1930's style ie. Just a little smaller around the butt C'30mm. than the older style billiard cues. F.

Comment

Working...
            X