Copy of Blackspin by Stamford ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy of Blackspin by Stamford ???

Just saw this on Stamford's website. Any thoughts?

"THE NEW ZENITH FERRULE
    Stamford Cuemakers are proud to introduce the new Zenith ferrule. Developed and tested with Peter Ebdon, the Zenith system significantly increases spin, grip and feel with reduced cue ball deflection.

The increased capabilities of the Zenith ferrule allows shots to be created that otherwise cannot be played giving you more options in positional play than ever before.

The Zenith ferrule : Re-inventing snooker "

Link : http://www.stamfordcuemakers.com/index.html
    Peter with Zenith ferrules small.jpg

You can't say better than being tested and developed by Peter Ebdon.

Comment

This has already been noted and discussed in another thread and this is a fibre ferrule unlike MW's Black Spin. Also MW himself has chatted with Peter at Stamford and it is not a copy of the Black Spin which is not just a ring around the end of the shaft.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Why are you saying a copy of Blackspin???
        This has been out years
        http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1593/logoseb.jpg

(quote)trevs1

I'd doubt it, there are other makers (though granted, in The USA) who've been using a cored type ferrule for some time.

It's just new to those reading here it seems.
        Last edited by choice; 17 November 2012, 09:43 PM. Reason: (quote trevs1)

Comment

Originally Posted by choice View Post
          This has been out years
          Just the second England cue maker do the black. So i thought they somehow borrowed the black spin idea.

Comment

Originally Posted by choice View Post
            This has been out years

(quote)trevs1

I'd doubt it, there are other makers (though granted, in The USA) who've been using a cored type ferrule for some time.

It's just new to those reading here it seems.

I am from Canada. US and Canadian cue makers use fiber ferrule for ages but they are just a fiber ring. Different from blackspin. I had Deroo cues with black fiber ferrule but it is very soft i didn't like it.
            But blackspin is different thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              This has already been noted and discussed in another thread and this is a fibre ferrule unlike MW's Black Spin. Also MW himself has chatted with Peter at Stamford and it is not a copy of the Black Spin which is not just a ring around the end of the shaft.
              superman32
              This is what was said on the other thread, because mw said it is copyright theft.

everyone knows i've doing this for months.
              The Cuefather.

So Stamford cues replied, this is what was said
              Stamford Cuemakers Junior Member

Hi guys,

So we've felt compelled to join the forum after reading some posts in this thread and we would like to address a few things.

First of all this is not idea theft on our part. From reading Mike's website our ferrules are fitted completely different to his and, although we don't know the materials he uses, we are confident they are different too. In fact the only similarity is the colour, black. If this is enough to be classed as stealing an idea then I would level the same charge at Mike as black ferrules have been used in 9 ball for years. Is that idea theft?

We don't use any type of "core" when fitting our ferrules neither do we use a combination of materials. Ours is a single material ferrule that was researched and tested by ourselves with Peter to get the most out of a cue that is possible. Our efforts were also concentrated as much on contact surface area when striking the cue ball as much as material to dissect how spin is applied to the cue ball etc. I have to say it was very interesting and exciting for both us and Peter.

We're confident, having tested as many suitable materials possible with a variety of specs, that the Zenith ferrule does all things we say and everyone who has played with it agrees. Simple. If Mike is upset with things, we can't do anything about that. I would have thought offering player’s worldwide choice across the different cue makers would be better for snooker in general but that is just my opinion.

On the subject of other cue makers, one has recently fitted Davis with a white ferrule that isn't a million miles away from what we have done albeit a different colour, material etc. So if Mike thinks we have committed copyright theft the he must think the same of the cue maker who fitted Davis’ ferrule. It will be interesting to see the result of any action taken based on "their ferrule is the same colour as mine."

If anyone has any queries on the Zenith ferrule or if you just want more information please feel free to email us info@stamfordcuemakers.co.uk

I hope this brings an end to this ridiculous carry-on and we can all get back to enjoying playing and watching snooker.

Apologies for our first post being so long and in this manner but this did need to be addressed.

Thanks
              Last edited by choice; 17 November 2012, 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                black ferrules are still something that didn't exist in our market until i worked hard to make them 'acceptable'.

black ferrules have become associated with my cues so it's a bit of a grey area at the moment...

jp did white, maybe stamford should choose another colour which would make it instantly noticeable as a stamford and not mistaken for mine.

also, it is not a fibre ferrule according to paul, so i would guess some thermoset plastic. there are many materials to choose from so it's irrelevant really.
                The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

ive got a black carbon fibre to try on one of my cues does that mean ime copying stamford lol

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                    ive got a black carbon fibre to try on one of my cues does that mean ime copying stamford lol
                    NO jim ,P.M.S.L.

Comment

Hi Mike
                      Oops I was wrong to say "black" or "fibre"
                      My point was that Stamford's fitting is a ring ferrule of whatever material and colour where your Black Spin is not just a ring around the end of the wood.
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

think everybodies got to mind there p and qs now lol

Comment

lol. i was only relaying what paul told me. it's irrelevant whether it's fibre or plastic, i was just pointing out it isn't a fibre ferrule.
                          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

My honest opinion is that its just a concept that gets into the minds of players who may in right wish to try it out!
                            I can't see it working for everyone but for anyone who does then its a good thing for the likes of Mike/Stamford.
                            It offers the customer something different but I'm a traditional brass ferrule type of guy although thin walled and small in height!
                            If all the top players start using blackspin/zenith then it may be time to look at it!
                            Just can't see it happening tho!
                            No offence to Mike by the way here it just my opinion and at least he's thought of a new product/concept!
                            And it's wrong for Stamford to copy!
                            We all have our views on this just thought I'd share mine!

Comment

Copy of Blackspin by Stamford ???

I think it should be based on what the product does not what colour it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X