Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chalk in the Grain

Hi snooker friends,
    Dose someone know the best solution for removing chalk thats got embeded in the grain just below the ferrule?

Tanks

a wipe down with a damp soapy cloth, and if that doesnt shift it some 0000 wire wool.

you may need to re oil depending on how much you remove from the surface.

i give mine a wipe down every few weeks to stop it building up, also hold your cue at an angle when chalking then the dust will not fall down onto the shaft.
    http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Hey hijack abit if i clean my ash cue with some sanding, and the ash starts to lighten what can i do to it?

Comment

You have to be very careful with chalk getting into your cue. It will definitely dry the cue out and make it more brittle and more likely to break. Damp cloth your cue regularly and dry straight away. If your cue is very dirty, use a magic eraser(block of white foamy stuff) that will clean it very well. I would however, oil the cue again after and if the grain has opened it may need a little grain sealer.
        "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Yeah, this is what I'm trying to budg. I like the idea; magic eraser(block of white foamy stuff) not to sure what the is but I'll goog it in a min.. As you can see in the pic the grain is quite open and the chalk is really in there so, a bite concerned about using water.

Comment

bit of a mess that chief!

looks like its been sanded to death already, there is a concave under the ferrule.

Comment

The grain has been left open through sanding, that's how the chalk is so deep imbedded. The magic eraser might work or your going to have to use soapy water, the cloth should be rung out well and only slightly damp not wet, then wipe with a slightly damp cloth with plain water then buff dry with a dry cloth. You may and probably should fill the grain and refinish with linseed oil

Comment

Nice one lads I'll get to work and post some pictures when Iv restored this baby

Comment

Looks already brittle and dry to me!
                  Ferrule seems to have moved slightly also!
                  Best try to clean the chalk out ASAP and oil!
                  This tends to happen with players who use deep pieces of chalk and tend to chalk the actual wood
                  When chalking the tip!
                  Change your chalk when it start going deep.

Comment

I used a blob of fairy on a dish spong and got most of it off.. Changed the ferrule, tapered the last 2/3" so as to blended in the dip but I lost .2mm. It was 9.7 and now its a 9.5.
                    Feels and looks ok but with changing the ferrul from a loose unthreaded ferrule to a treaded one the test will be on the table. Knowing my luck, were as when it looked bad and was loose it played fine, now its gonna sound tinny and dull

Comment

Looks a whole lot better, good job, but looks as tho it needs oiling asap

Comment

I got given this cue on the weekend. Its was an abused club racker wich I rescued. Will put some more pics up of the whole cue and do a before and after..
                        Yes I would recomend like you said to change the chalk if it gets to deep or file the chalk cube down half way, I note that some times pool cue chalk finds its way onto a snooker table and cus the hole is so big in the chalk the a snooker cue can easly be eaten by it..

o
                        Originally Posted by raymo147 View Post
                        Looks already brittle and dry to me!
                        Ferrule seems to have moved slightly also!
                        Best try to clean the chalk out ASAP and oil!
                        This tends to happen with players who use deep pieces of chalk and tend to chalk the actual wood
                        When chalking the tip!
                        Change your chalk when it start going deep.

Comment

Yeah your not wrong 750! Do you think it would make any difs if I left for 2-3 days? I wanted to delaqure it, iron out all the dents, blacken/fill the grain and fine sand before oiling.

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          Looks a whole lot better, good job, but looks as tho it needs oiling asap

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                            Yeah your not wrong 750! Do you think it would make any difs if I left for 2-3 days? I wanted to delaqure it, iron out all the dents, blacken/fill the grain and fine sand before oiling.
                            sounds like a good plan! before and after pics will be great too. hope it plays well!

Comment

Would anyone know if it makes much differance oiling the cue before filling/blackening the grain? I want to avoid water stains on the ash.

Comment

Working...
                              X