Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going from a pool spec cue to a snooker cue

Hey all.
    I've been using a peradon storm pool cue to play UK pool for the past year.
    It's a pool spec cue.
    Very skinny and an 8mm tip.
    I'm now trying out snooker and I'm not as bad at it as I thought I would be. !

While I love playing with it I was told the peradon storm had a bit small a tip size for snooker balls.
    I do find it a bit myself.
    I now need to find a cue for snooker I think.
    2 questions.
    1- should I continue to use my original cue for pool and a different one for snooker.
    I do like the 8mm tip on a pool table.

2 - recommend me a nice cue that would be an easy transition from what im using now..
    I'm 5'10 btw and wondering also what size cue I should use.

Thanks for any help offered.
    Grif

what length and weight is the storm, do you have the same cue action for both pool and snooke, if comfortable with present cue try and get something similer but with a bigger tip say 9.5, should make transition easier, i use a 9 mil for snooker and have no problems so you may go that size which would still be a great size for english pool aswell
    Craftsman custom made cue
    57 inches
    17 ounces
    9 mil Wooldridge original supertip
    ash shaft plain ebony butt

Comment

It's 18 oz and 57 inches. The cue action I have now seems to be working. Cue does feel a bit short quite a lot but I suppose every cue does from time to time.

Comment

try a 58in cue 9mm tip is ok for snooker but idealy try to get a 9.5mm tip. we have had a few new players come in our team over the last few years andi have sorted them a cue go for standard specs 58in long 9.5mm tip 29.5/30mm butt around 18oz and you wont go far wrong.

Comment

Thanks Ste bed

Comment

for many years I was playing with a 8.2mm 2pc cue for both snooker and UK pool and did not think much of it really.
            Then I got a snooker spec cue 9.5mm 1pc and my snooker improved overnight, literally
            Now I still use a 8.2mm for pool and have the 9.5mm for snooker.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Good to know dean h. That's realy what was concerning me. I see a lot of snooker players using their snooker cues on the pool tables from time to time but the tip would feel way too big for me I think.
              I did some maths and The equivalent tip for pool : snooker goes something like this. playing with an 8mm : 1 7/8 inch white
              = approx 9 mm : 2 1/15 inch white. There is also a weight difference of approx 97g to 160g in whites. Not sure how to compensate for this. Perhaps a heavier cue to the 18oz I use in pool. An extra .5 of an inch tip size also perhaps.
              Last edited by Grifter; 5 January 2013, 02:28 AM.

Comment

you dont need any heavier than 18, i know some players including a lot of pros use heavier but you will get all the action and response you need with 18 ounces, the most important part of the cue is the tip and a 9 will be fine then only one cue for both pool and snooker req'd, at 5' 10'' 57.5 should be fine length of cue
                Craftsman custom made cue
                57 inches
                17 ounces
                9 mil Wooldridge original supertip
                ash shaft plain ebony butt

Comment

Heavier than 18 I think will not help you and I do think you are over-thinking the situation
                  Stay with your 8mm cue for your pool; get, borrow or use a rack cue for the snooker with a 9-9.5mm ferrule and just have a go.
                  Yes, the snooker balls are larger and heavier but you should very quickly get used to playing a little firmer than with pool and getting the balls moving around as you want without thinking about it
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

i have a massive issue switching from both games, i play pool to a high standard and over the years have adopted my stance,cue action,bridge,grip hand everything really to suit the game. i rejoined local snooker team and really struggle if i go from pool to snooker and visa versa, so much so i think im packing snooker in when the season finishes as its messing my game up.

play pool with a customised cue its 16.6oz narrow butt 7.6mm tip standard length

snooker with a craftsmans cue its around 18/19oz slightly bigger but 10mmtip and its about an inch longer aswell

the amount of variables i have to put up with is a joke and i dont think the snooker cue suits me, when im in the balls i can put a decent break away quickly without even thinking with my pool cue but ive got no long game as i have to blast everything, its like using a matchstick lol. but playing with the snooker cue ive gotta think about everything and playing with flicks of side reacts so differently its unreal,
                    i wish i could find something that would narrow alot of my variables down tried a few different cues and tip size has to be smaller anything above 9 seems to put me off.
                    tha what!

Comment

Judging by what your saying Ian maybe the same cue for both would be the way to go.
                      What your dealing with is what I'm trying to avoid. I can see it all ahead of me.

Comment

same for both? if i use my pool cue with 7.6mm tip 16.5 oz it will die after a few months lol i wil have to replace the tip weekly lol and thats if it doesnt snap
                        tha what!

Comment

Working...
                        X