Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stamford series 1

Hi

Has anybody who has or owned a series 1 cue provide some feedback on how they are like to play and craftsmanship and if they are the right value.

Thanks for your help.

I dont think you will come across two cues from the same maker that will play identical muck adleast i have,nt anyway , so its hard to say that a certan make cue plays in a certain way , as for the craftsmanship i rate them very highly .

Comment

you never seem to get many stamford cues come up for sale which in my opinion is a good sign of the quality as opposed to other cue makes which seem to be forever on sale, especially on here. Never played with one but seen a couple in the flesh and both times they looked very nice and also used by very good players.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
        you never seem to get many stamford cues come up for sale which in my opinion is a good sign of the quality as opposed to other cue makes which seem to be forever on sale, especially on here. Never played with one but seen a couple in the flesh and both times they looked very nice and also used by very good players.

Personally, I see little or no correlation between amount cues for sale by any given maker and the quality of them.

There are always numerous Parris cues for sale and yet a large number of the games leading players use them.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
          Personally, I see little or no correlation between amount cues for sale by any given maker and the quality of them.

There are always numerous Parris cues for sale and yet a large number of the games leading players use them.
          Well obviously you are going to see a lot of Parris cues because they make more than most cue makers so the percentage stats are going to suggest there is a higher chance of people selling them compared to other cue makers. However I do think that Stamford are the least seen for sale compared to similar cue makers in the same bracket, including yourself, MW, Glover etc and I think that is because they are very good at making playing cues for any player regardless of ability, which is why so many keep them.

Not knocking anyone or any cue maker, just saying what my experience of seeing many cues in the flesh and for sale on here and Ebay down the years, Stamford are certainly cues most tend to want to keep hold of. 3 members of the top 32 using them including Selby and Ding is 2nd only to JP in terms of players using his cues, that is good in anyone's book, especially given the relatively short time they have been making cues or been heard of compared to most other cue makers.

Comment

Well obviously you are going to see a lot of Parris cues because they make more than most cue makers so the percentage stats are going to suggest there is a higher chance of people selling them compared to other cue makers. However I do think that Stamford are the least seen for sale compared to similar cue makers in the same bracket, including yourself, MW, Glover etc and I think that is because they are very good at making playing cues for any player regardless of ability, which is why so many keep them.

Not knocking anyone or any cue maker, just saying what my experience of seeing many cues in the flesh and for sale on here and Ebay down the years, Stamford are certainly cues most tend to want to keep hold of. 3 members of the top 32 using them including Selby and Ding is 2nd only to JP in terms of players using his cues, that is good in anyone's book, especially given the relatively short time they have been making cues or been heard of compared to most other cue makers.

Or it could be because they sell less, so will have less up for resale.

Comment

never actually played with one of their series 1 cues, but sent my cue (JPU) to them to make some changes (adding a splice, replacing joint and making a refinish), and the work was absolutely perfect. and the customer service is also great => quick and nice response to all my questions.
              if their cues are as great as there cases (i have one of their patchwork cases), you cannot make anything wrong!
              there are some threads about their series 1 cues around here, just search and you will find that they make great cues!

Comment

Originally Posted by shohin View Post
                never actually played with one of their series 1 cues, but sent my cue (JPU) to them to make some changes (adding a splice, replacing joint and making a refinish), and the work was absolutely perfect. and the customer service is also great => quick and nice response to all my questions.
                if their cues are as great as there cases (i have one of their patchwork cases), you cannot make anything wrong!
                there are some threads about their series 1 cues around here, just search and you will find that they make great cues!
                I was considering a case from them, I take it you would recommend them ?

Comment

well, i really love their patchwork design, so i am maybe not totally objective in my opinion, but a club mate ordered a "normal" one and he is (as i am) still very happy with the case. of course, they are not cheap, but i would say definitely worth their money!

Comment

Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
                    Or it could be because they sell less, so will have less up for resale.

Think youre on the money , totally agree , not taking anything away from them as i think their cues are up there with the best , be surprised how many people before visiting this forum did,nt have a clue that T W , R C , M W D C , etc existed let alone try one of their cues .

Comment

The criteria used to establish this argument is perhaps a little bit narrow though don't you think? It would be something like.......

Observation....... Maker "A" produces better 'playing' cues than Maker "B".

This conclusion was arrived at due to there apparently being fewer cues from Maker "A" than Maker "B" on the used market.

Not exactly the benchmark for statistical analysis of the used cue market. It needs to take in many other factors.

A question also... "what constitutes a good playing cue for players of ANY ability?"

Comment

I think how a certain cue plays has more to do with the characteristics of the individual wood rather than how good a maker can turn it into a cue that plays well . They can only make it to the customers specs at the best of their ability and probably aint got a clue as to what its going to play like when finished .

Comment

My Stamford isn't perfect, but its taken my game to another level or is that the hours of practise i do each week?

Comment

Stamfords are talked about to a lesser extent on the forum which is why I wanted to know. People who own a series 1, how the cue feels like to them. Cost wise it's nearly on par with ultimates. So in that sense are they priced about right?

Comment

Stamford series 1 are a fair bit cheaper than ultimates. I think they're good value for money.
                              I wouldn't want to play with anything else now, probably because ive spent six months getting used to it, but other cues just don't feel right and that inclues some top makers cues like TW and MW that i've tried. Play with a cue long enough and you'll get used to it though .I havn't had the chance to try a whole lot of cues.
                              The trevor whites that i tried were so smooth and silky i actually didn't like them, kind of wierd maybe but i like the way my stamford feels now. I don't clean it much either because i don't like it too smooth.

Comment

Working...
                              X