Ferrule Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrule Help

hey good people after 13 years my ferrule has split on my cue got myself a replacement today
    but looked everywhere for a tutorial on how to replace it. put this in mind I don't have a lathe
    can any of you have a step by step or best way to do it. its a 9mm ferrule if it helps.

Cheers

If you've stuck with the same cue for 13 years you obviously care for it, get it done proffesionally, will cost you less than £20.
    Without the proper tools theres a lot of trial and error involved, even removing the old one can be tricky.
    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
      ...... will cost you less than £20....
      £10 at Greenbaize, and that includes a tip

Comment

It can be tricky, the replacement ferrule may have a different internal diameter which will cause you problems. If its a like for like change then the way I do it is, use a lighter carefully to heat the existing ferrule(heating softens/melts the glue and expands the brass) then using plyers gently turn the ferrule, don't pull it. Once you have the old ferrule off wipe off the old glue before it sets, then providing the new ferrule is threaded the same and same diameter internally use epoxy or I use loctite ultra gel super glue and haven't had any problems even with plain band ferrules. Apply the glue to the tenon and screw the new ferrule on Tight .immediately wiping the excess glue off that will squeeze out of the ferrule. Another problem comes from if the new ferrule is longer then the tenon won't be flush with the ferrule. Also you may need to modify the tenon slimming it down for the new ferrule to fit. Id recommend getting it done professionally and practise changing ferrules on a cheap cue untill you're confident to do it on your playing cue. There's loads of other problems you could encounter from having to shorten the cue slightly so the new ferrule sits flush with the cue which I do by hand with a file, not an easy thing to do trust me lol then the possibility of tapering the cue so the ferrule is flush which would mean grainfilling and finishing the cue. This has been a very answer but if you want to try it yourself its better to know the complications you could face beforehand. Id strongly recommend getting it done professionally though mate, buy a cheap cue at a car boot sale and practise on that if you really want to learn to do it yourself. Good luck.
        Last edited by Dave Walton; 18 January 2013, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          £10 at Greenbaize, and that includes a tip
          You can't argue with that! It's the posting the cue off that bumps the price up, and the added risk that comes with entrusting your playing cue to the uk's number 1 fire wood provider (royal mail)
          We could do with a directory of local cue doctors, if there isn't such a thing already, they usually have a contact in every snooker league match book?
          No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

I have used Bob Ackers twice , very cheal and a first class job .

Comment

if you let people know the area you live you will prob find someone nearbye

Comment

his intro post said Wigan
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

if he's in wigan - then id recommend looking at northwest cues

Comment

flame also lives preston way which isnt far he might do it

Comment

North West Cues is shut. Graeme Lambert is based in Bury and he does a great job for about a tenner. PM me if you want his number.
                      #jeSuisByrom

Comment

yep my bad it was the the north west table services i was browsing other day

Comment

Working...
                        X