Difference in cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    A friend of mine recently had a professional model cue and it was very good indeed. I think a lot depends on materials you can get at the time. Its easy to criticise JP but he has hundreds of orders and they simply have to get them out, obviously not everyone is going to be perfect, hence the question about the standard compared to the Ultimate.

You can't go comparing Robin, Mike or Trevor either as they are just one person making cues so they can have a better quality control over the cue, JP simply doesn't have the time to ensure each one is perfect, but then I wouldn't say his cues are shoddy either. If you had the option its much better to go to the shop and try the cues out first to see what you are getting, however they do seem to make better cues if they are made to order to what is put in the shop. Judd Trump bought his cue off the shelf in the Parris shop, if its good enough for him I'm sure its good enough for any standard of player.
    I agree fully with your logic relating to trying before buying, but unfortunately that's not an option for most people of the mainland or buying made to order, so i personally would still prefer a hands on top cue maker who hasn't sold out imo so to speak, as you just don't know what your getting from Parris now. I believe you can compare the different brands I've mentioned, at the end of the day it was John's choice to expand his business to what it is now, I'm sure now Trevor etc could do the same but choose not to as they know the standard may not be consistent the more they have on their books! Don't get me wrong, i know Parris still make great cues with or without John's input, but it's not a risk i would take made to order, but visiting the Parris shop and trying a few out, even buying, absolutely!
    Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

I've had a couple of cues whith stained butts. As the spliceing on one was a bit on the poor side I decided i would have a play with it and sand and spray paint the butt satin black.

What I found was a cheap ebony had been used that contained a lot of filler to correct any faults of which there were plenty. This had then been overstained with a water based black stain which was easily washed away with some fine wet & dry paper.

One thing parris cues have that other cues don't is a simple wax applied to the butt which would show anything other than perfection in the ebony.

Had a bad experience myself with mastercraft and to be honest wouldn't reccomend them to anyone.
      Last edited by Maverick54; 31 January 2013, 05:04 AM.
      "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Agreed some of Parris cues work isn't the best if the internet is to be believed but I do think some people are a bit hard on him.
        Basically if you order from Trevor every cue is an "ultimate" because all he does is his best work.
        Mikes "lower range" cues, while still material wise pretty high are butterfly spliced so you won't get anyone complaining about splices etc.
        Parris effectively has ranges of cues so you can expect workmanship materials etc to be of poorer quality and at this point you are paying a premium for the badge.

I'm not saying he doesn't ever ship out substandard work but people are quick to jump on the bandwagon.
        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

If you order one you could be waiting, all anxious in anticipation, up to a year and then not like what you get.. I'd say get down to the cue makers shop. Give your self a couple of hours and have the proper experience of buying a cue, off the rack! I was in the Parris shop 6 years ago and got a stunning 3/4 traditional paragon. I was in there for 3 or 4hrs, the smell of wire wool and linseed, arr the memories
          Try n buy, can't go wrong.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            If you order one you could be waiting, all anxious in anticipation, up to a year and then not like what you get.. I'd say get down to the cue makers shop. Give your self a couple of hours and have the proper experience of buying a cue, off the rack! I was in the Parris shop 6 years ago and got a stunning 3/4 traditional paragon. I was in there for 3 or 4hrs, the smell of wire wool and linseed, arr the memories
            so right try and buy, if you have the chance go to craftsman cues, play for hours and try every cue in the shop! but one tip dont use the white, play with the yellow ! light whites my pet hate

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              Ya I think I might do that. Would it be ok to take a cue on the airplane? because I am from Ireland and it would be a long drive from the boat to London.

Comment

Yes the cue maker should be able to give you a hard tube so you can put it in the hold. You could try the old emerald charm and blag it on by saying its a wooden flute, apparently you can take musical instruments on the plan. I took half a cue to be spliced by JP by saying that at Krakow airport be, just a little, harder at a London airport.
                Last edited by j6uk; 3 February 2013, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X