Always Behind the Americans - Cue Lathes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always Behind the Americans - Cue Lathes

American Pool Players seem nuts about owning their own cue repair lathes and its big business over there with many manufacturers selling there lathes on the net.

How come its not so popular over here and why are no English Manufacturers making them. Are we just to stupid to know how to use one?
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

most american cues are 2pc and manufactured in two halves, so can be handled by a relatively small lathe.

snooker cues are mainly 1pc/butt jointed and need to be made in a completely different way.

americans use repair guys to do tips, clean shafts etc., so every town has one. also, the finish on american cues is completely different and requires a different skill set to maintain and repair. a lathe is essential for these type of jobs, or should i say the way they are done.

the mentality is different here, we mostly do our own tips and keep our cues buffed up and tidy as the oil finish commonly used here is easily maintained, so there is very little need for a dedicated 'cue guy'. although i do think there is a gap in this market in most areas. a decent part time income could easily be maintained provided the right level of workmanship is applied.

another very important point to consider, the market here is tiny compared to usa, and could simply not maintain the order books for a dedicated manufacturer. the number of cue makers/repairers in the usa dwarfs the tiny number here in uk.

i have a couple of american lathes for various jobs. they're not suitable for everything, although can be modified to make a better job. the accuracy i need for some things is not there so i use mine as little work stations, each set up to do a do a specific job. they're great for that

which leads me to the fact that i am developing a cue lathe that specifically handles jobs we need to do on this side of the pond. simply cos i want to, not as a business venture.

one last thing, yes, we are a bit stupid. although all of the above are valid reasons, i greatly admire the americans and their ability to make things that solve problems. we tend to just carry on regardless, and make excuses for things not happening.
    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

one last thing, yes, we are a bit stupid. although all of the above are valid reasons, i greatly admire the americans and their ability to make things that solve problems. we tend to just carry on regardless, and make excuses for things not happening.
      Quite poignant. I like that.

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
        most american cues are 2pc and manufactured in two halves, so can be handled by a relatively small lathe.

snooker cues are mainly 1pc/butt jointed and need to be made in a completely different way.

americans use repair guys to do tips, clean shafts etc., so every town has one. also, the finish on american cues is completely different and requires a different skill set to maintain and repair. a lathe is essential for these type of jobs, or should i say the way they are done.

the mentality is different here, we mostly do our own tips and keep our cues buffed up and tidy as the oil finish commonly used here is easily maintained, so there is very little need for a dedicated 'cue guy'. although i do think there is a gap in this market in most areas. a decent part time income could easily be maintained provided the right level of workmanship is applied.

another very important point to consider, the market here is tiny compared to usa, and could simply not maintain the order books for a dedicated manufacturer. the number of cue makers/repairers in the usa dwarfs the tiny number here in uk.

i have a couple of american lathes for various jobs. they're not suitable for everything, although can be modified to make a better job. the accuracy i need for some things is not there so i use mine as little work stations, each set up to do a do a specific job. they're great for that

which leads me to the fact that i am developing a cue lathe that specifically handles jobs we need to do on this side of the pond. simply cos i want to, not as a business venture.

Great reply Mike thanks. Cant help but feel us brits are missing out on a bit of fun. We are a nation of shed lovers after all. Cant you just imagine being huddled up in your shed with a nice mug of tea and a cue lathe to play with???
        "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

A good cue should last a lifetime, it's like buying a knitting machine with your scarf. It's probably something to do with guns in disguise.

Comment

American pool cues finish always seemed weird to me, they seem to lacquer the butt and shaft up to a point then the rest of the shaft seems to be bare wood. Lacquer seems to go maybe 2 or so inches past the joint then stop, very noticable when you;re watching them play. Dunno what they have against an oil finish on their cues, ends up looking like something bought out of argos with how they are currently, as if they weren't gaudy enough.

Comment

Yeah the business and financial capital of the world!! The subject mentality seem to struggle with innovation nowa days. The privilege of having a shed, remember to move the sleeping bags before you start. Sheds, elopement plots, pubs.. Flats now! But look on the bright side ay oh no sounding like mr garnett lol

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
              Great reply Mike thanks. Cant help but feel us brits are missing out on a bit of fun. We are a nation of shed lovers after all. Cant you just imagine being huddled up in your shed with a nice mug of tea and a cue lathe to play with???

Comment

Iv just seen the cue smith lathe that says it has full cue building capabilities with taper bars, router, long bed and sliding chuck.. Would that build a snooker cue? Anyone got one?

Comment

me. it is mostly used for rough shaping/sanding/general work after i found it wanting in many areas.

fantastic for 'pottering' around on but there are issues which are simply not acceptable. for the hobbyist it is a great bit of kit.

when i finally get my design done, it will be the ultimate cue lathe designed primarily with full size 1pc cues but, of course, with capabilities for all jointed cues.
                  The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                    American pool cues finish always seemed weird to me, they seem to lacquer the butt and shaft up to a point then the rest of the shaft seems to be bare wood. Lacquer seems to go maybe 2 or so inches past the joint then stop, very noticable when you;re watching them play. Dunno what they have against an oil finish on their cues, ends up looking like something bought out of argos with how they are currently, as if they weren't gaudy enough.
                    americans are also stupid
                    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

It's not all quite as simple as buying a lathe and then bang your away doing all the jobs.
                      There's so much more to it ie adaptions required to help you do the work.
                      I spent a lot of money adapting my lathe which I doubt I would be able to use if I never got it done.
                      It's a very complex thing and precision is vital.
                      Mike will tell you this also I'm sure.
                      The American lathes look not bad at all tho for anyone who wants to give it a go.
                      I can't really comment on them tho as I've never owned one.
                      I have a Colchester Chipmaster which I bought converted to single phase.
                      Not something you want to try ever moving around much. Lol

Comment

A bit strong Michael..

americans are also stupid

Comment

When you say its a great bit of kit for hobby use, is that to say, it can do everything on the tin? -Like a good controlled butt taper, ferrule and 7" drill up the back? Or is there too much movement with those components its made of?

me. it is mostly used for rough shaping/sanding/general work after i found it wanting in many areas.

fantastic for 'pottering' around on but there are issues which are simply not accepaable. for the hobbyist it is a great bit of kit.

when i finally get my design done, it will be the ultimate cue lathe designed primarily with full size 1pc cues but, of course, with capabilities for all jointed cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                            A bit strong Michael..
                            it's a joke. i also said we are stupid.
                            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                              When you say its a great bit of kit for hobby use, is that to say, it can do everything on the tin? -Like a good controlled butt taper, ferrule and 7" drill up the back? Or is there too much movement with those components its made of?
                              yes, they will do all the jobs they claim to do.

they're good for what they are, but they are not what i would call a professional machine for serious business. hobbyists and part time makers, great.

however, like any machine, you can get it to do what you want if you have the knowledge, skill, or ability to solve problems.
                              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X