No announcement yet.

Always Behind the Americans - Cue Lathes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I konw anyway what lathe/lathes you got Mike?

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
    it's a joke. i also said we are stupid.

Comment

With your Chipmaster, did you need to change the spindle, to say a 32" bore? Then adapt the bed?

Originally Posted by raymo147 View Post
      It's not all quite as simple as buying a lathe and then bang your away doing all the jobs.
      There's so much more to it ie adaptions required to help you do the work.
      I spent a lot of money adapting my lathe which I doubt I would be able to use if I never got it done.
      It's a very complex thing and precision is vital.
      Mike will tell you this also I'm sure.
      The American lathes look not bad at all tho for anyone who wants to give it a go.
      I can't really comment on them tho as I've never owned one.
      I have a Colchester Chipmaster which I bought converted to single phase.
      Not something you want to try ever moving around much. Lol

Comment

No it has just under a 35mm bore so that was a good start as it helps if a full 1pc cue
        can fit the whole way through.
        But from the day I bought it and eventually got it in place which wasn't fun,
        I've had lots of adaptions done to it to make it spot on for cue work.
        Ferrules,re-weighting,joint fitting etc etc!
        One of the factors with bigger more industrial lathes is the have more power and built to last.
        My lathe is from the 60s and runs like a tank.

Comment

I can just imagine the hernias waiting happen.. So you didn't do anything to the bed but can you say some of the other changes you made?
          I thinking about getting one.

No it has just under a 35mm bore so that was a good start as it helps if a full 1pc cue
          can fit the whole way through.
          But from the day I bought it and eventually got it in place which wasn't fun,
          I've had lots of adaptions done to it to make it spot on for cue work.
          Ferrules,re-weighting,joint fitting etc etc!
          One of the factors with bigger more industrial lathes is the have more power and built to last.
          My lathe is from the 60s and runs like a tank.

Comment

The bed? No the ways were in good condition so just a wee clean up.

Comment

Looks like too many to mention

The bed? No the ways were in good condition so just a wee clean up.

Comment

I thought English cue makers did not use lathes for snooker cues. Just hand planes or now maybe electric hand planes. Much less expensive. Requires some practice on cheap wood before you get good at it, i've heard. What type of hand planes are best to use ?

Comment

No6 and no7 planes or some use no5s but I feel there a little small.
                  I've two Stanley bailey no7s and two no6s
                  Which are slightly smaller.
                  Lathe wise I have a colchester chipmaster which had been adapted for cues.

Comment

Apologies !!! I have been reading this thread with interest ??? A lathe to make one piece cues ?? I understand that various simple machinery is very useful but , would the end result be a hand made snooker cue ?? Or machine turned Cue ?? Perhaps I am old fashioned !!! I still cut my shoulders for ferrules by eye and a very sharp blade !!! Why not try a big router table with a tapered fence and various sized bits to be used in between resting the shaft ?? Regards and good luck .

Comment

Working...
                    X