Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Professional's preferred cue and cue-tip database.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional's preferred cue and cue-tip database.

I thought it might be interesting to have a database (well basically a list) of the different cues and cue-tips used by all the professional snooker players.

Unfortunately I don't know any professional snooker players, or which cues and cue-tips any of them use.

So, if anyone wants to weigh in with any information, all contributions will be gratefully accepted.

If you use the search function most player's cues can be found, as for tips, they chop and change i expect just like us, so it wouldn't be up to date

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      If you use the search function most player's cues can be found, as for tips, they chop and change i expect just like us, so it wouldn't be up to date
      Fair comment, jrc750. I see what you mean.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not so interested in the cues. What I'm really after is a general consensus of what the most popular cue-tip is amongst professional snooker players.

For example, are most professionals still using Blue Diamond or Elk Master? Or are most professionals now using the newer 'laminated' type of cue-tip?

It's not a big deal. I'm a snooker nerd, so I find this kind of thing very interesting. :snooker:

Comment

Most that I have details for are Elks.
        But I have a lot of gaps
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          Most that I have details for are Elks.
          That's the kind of information I am interested in.

Wouldn't it be funny, with all these fancy new 'laminated' tips available, if most of the professionals still prefer the old faithful Elk Master tips. LOL. :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Achamian View Post
            That's the kind of information I am interested in.

Wouldn't it be funny, with all these fancy new 'laminated' tips available, if most of the professionals still prefer the old faithful Elk Master tips. LOL. :snooker:
            I think that's because the professionals grew up, practiced many years using old elks. Maybe in 10 years you will see most professionals using the new laminated tips because that's what they are used to. But not because they are better.

Comment

I thought a lot of the top players used the laminated hard tips?
              But they play on super fast tables so that doesn't mean that's what they'd use at the average club.
              sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                I thought a lot of the top players used the laminated hard tips?
                But they play on super fast tables so that doesn't mean that's what they'd use at the average club.
                That's not necessarily true, majority of say top 32 still use pressed tips to date with exception of a few, Judd Trump for example generates unbelievable amount of power/spin with his trusted elk, so where's the advantage for him with a laminated tip on a fast cloth? I don't see many and either does many of top cuemakers, granted they don't play to the highest level, but they know what makes a great all round cue on whatever cloth...

Ps not having a go at laminated tips, just questioning their place in snooker..?
                Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

it's all about personal choice and that with a market big enough you'll find a buyer for whatever you sell

most pros use 30p elkmaster tips and use 15p green triangle chalk, it's what practically all snooker you have ever seen on TV has been played with and what most people use

you don't need to buy cue oil, cue wax, super cloths, tip clamps, shapers, etc, but they're made because people will buy them

it's logical that others will 'invent' and market super new fibre ferrules, wonderful new laminated tips, amazing £20 tiny lumps of kamui chalk with amazing properties, etc, as some people will buy them as they will believe the blurb that it will make them play better - we now have laminated wood cues!

those that know stick with what has always worked

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                    That's not necessarily true, majority of say top 32 still use pressed tips to date with exception of a few, Judd Trump for example generates unbelievable amount of power/spin with his trusted elk, so where's the advantage for him with a laminated tip on a fast cloth? I don't see many and either does many of top cuemakers, granted they don't play to the highest level, but they know what makes a great all round cue on whatever cloth...

Ps not having a go at laminated tips, just questioning their place in snooker..?
                    Just a few notable examples like John Higgins right at the top of the game using really hard laminated tips. I just wonder if they still would be if they had to play in my local.

Don't profess to know what tips any pros use in general though.
                    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                      Just a few notable examples like John Higgins right at the top of the game using really hard laminated tips. I just wonder if they still would be if they had to play in my local.

Don't profess to know what tips any pros use in general though.
                      Sorry that maybe came across as i was directing that at you personally, was indirectly just citing my views on laminated tips on a snooker table.

Good point, i'd like to know how'd he get on a club table myself, surely it'd make positional play more harder, though saying that he probably doesn't make much appearances on club level tables/cloths.
                      Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Marco Fu - Elk

Jimmy White - Titan

John Higgins - Kamui

Can't remember any others at the moment
                        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                          Marco Fu - Elk

Jimmy White - Titan

John Higgins - Kamui

Can't remember any others at the moment
                          mark williams has a talisman just now. stu bingham uses wooldridge, martin gould an elk master, but in general this is just about impossible to keep updated - for example ronnie can changes tips more than once a week including with different brands and types and dominic dale on his own would make the person doing the list cry with cues!
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                          X