my cue is varnished or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my cue is varnished or not?

Hi I have Peradon King and I would like buy MW Cue Oil on ebay but i read "DO NOT use on lacquered or varnished cues". I don't want spend my monet if my cue is varnished. How do I know it is or not?

Post a picture is a way to start.

Comment

My dad uses a peradon cue which I'm quite sure has some kind of oiled finish, whatever it is it's definitely not varnished, your cue is much higher up in their range than his so i would say your cue isn't varnished either, i would either email peradon directly or give jp cue sports a shout, your more likely to get a reply from jp today, i sent them an email after i got home from work one night and got my reply at 10pm that night....
      :snooker:

Comment

can be a bit hit and miss with Peradon, seem to change there finish quite regularly, they certainly lacquer the butts. But would agree all the Kings I've seen (only 2 or 3) have been oiled finish.
        No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
          can be a bit hit and miss with Peradon, seem to change there finish quite regularly, they certainly lacquer the butts. But would agree all the Kings I've seen (only 2 or 3) have been oiled finish.
          Thought that would be the case with their finishes, like i say not sure what my dad's is whether oil or wax etc but its smooth as, it's a 3/4 cue and from memory your right about the lacquered butts although it's not a heavy coating, overall I was quite surprised that the finish was as nice as it is, he's had it for about 6 months and used a little wax just the once which he got from dave coutts.

Comment

i hope photos like this you expected

Comment

Can't really see the shaft from those pictures mate.

Comment

it's hard to make good picture with room light..
                if you want I can make some photos tomorrow with sunlight

Comment

I think most so called mid range cues like this have some kind of finish, Not oil but a water based lacquer of sorts. In skilled hands this would be very easy to remove with maybe, stripper and 00/000 wire wool if you wish to. My concern would be the butt because there is a good chance of it being ebonx and not sure if that stuff takes oil.

Comment

a couple of my pool team mates have Peradon cues (not sure on model, but not old) and they seem to be a mixture, all have a varnish/lacquer-type finish on the butt, one has a very light oily finish to the shaft (nearly non-existent really) and the other had a varnish but the owner rubbed it all off sometime ago (I have just finished retipping it and giving the bare wood an oiling which it soaked up).
                    So as others have said, with Peradon there seems to be an odds-n-sods of finishes you can get.
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Still hard to say but whatever it's coated with it's pretty thin so as mentioned above by j6uk it would be easy enough to remove so long as your careful, if your not sure though contact peradon directly to see if they can help.

Comment

Ok I will write to peradon (send him photos?). If my King is oiled, cue soak MW Cue Oil? And another questions. If I want to remove varnish or something (I have sandpaper 500, 800 and 2000) how to do it? Hold paper in one hand and rotate cue, move from ferrulle to butt? Remove only from shaft or all cue? If someone have video with something like that, would be great.

Comment

I would only send pictures if they ask for them as they make it so should know what your on about, go to johnparrottcuesports.com too and email them, they were quite helpful to me in the past. If you do need to take the finish off as mentioned in previous post a very fine grade wire wool might be best but do it carefully, I did it a long time ago with my old cue but that did leave the wood bare, wasn't an issue back then as it made it super smooth (didn't know about oil finished cues when i was 20) but ten years later when I started playing again and have as much hair on my face as i have on the top of my head it was literally ripping the hairs from my chin lol, this gets very irritating when playing.... so you may need to use a grain filler before applying the oil, that is where my advice ends I'm afraid as I've never used grain filler before, don't know about what to use as there is a lot to choose from, I'm sure someone else on here could help though, like one of the cue makers on here.

By the way, is the finish causing you bother?

Sorry, forgot to say wrapping it around the cue is probably not the best way, up and down the cue and keep it even as you do it, I did mine by doing a line at a time and turning it until it was even. I also only went about up to the splices on the shaft and left the butt. As i said before though you may need some kind of filler.
                          Last edited by haggishunter; 17 February 2013, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Yes as has been said contact Peradon and ask the finish on your model 'they may not know', also ask if the butt is ebonx. Anyway, even if it is ebonx you can still de-lac the shaft. I always like to use a varnish stripper, then 00 wire wool so as to remove the lac from the cue an grain and not from the wood of the cue, because removing wood means changing the resonance of the cue, you still might do that anyway. Iv just re-lac a cue so as to regain its stiffness.. You could blacken grain, fine sand, sanding sealer, oil/24/damp wipe repeat x3, burnish, mmm-smooth

Comment

Ok I send mail to peradon, now only wait to reply Finish my cue no bother me. Somethimes when I play I think the darkest wood in shaft is more feelling (if you know what i mean). I learn to play with that and do not mind. Only I want is when I buy MW Cue Oil will be not waste my money and cue soak oil. Will see what peradon reply. I will not lie that I'm afraid to do something with my King but if I must have I would like to do it perfect and not damage cue.

Comment

Working...
                              X