Your views on Coloured Veneers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your views on Coloured Veneers

To quote a famous line from Henry Ford - People can have the Model T in any colour--so long as it's black.

I feel the same about coloured veneers. They have to be white, preferably maple and not died/bleached. Just dont like died coloured veneers. Do you????
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

They are okay against certain woods. I have a cue with 4 snakewood splicings tipped with emerald and white veneers, I think it sets it off beautifully.

Comment

Good thread this one as I have been playing with dyed veneers lately. Just half way through a cue with a tulip front splice with red veneers set in every 3 inches, think it will add an extra dimension to the cue and look really nice. Have tried some green and turquoise matched together and didnt like them.
      http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

It's all about getting the combinations right I think.
        I agree with Jason some just don't go with certain woods.
        I'm trying some bocotte with thin white venner and one without to see how it looks.
        I wouldn't say I don't like venner tho they can bring a nice wood right out when finished.

Comment

Yes with heavy varnish on top as well they can look 80's, cheep even, though I got a soft spot for that look but, I think in the right hands colored veneers can be arranged to look stunning.

Comment

Depends on the combination of woods like Raymond said bocotte goes very well with maple veneer I had this on my cook cue. Snakewood goes well with green as does purple heart olivewood looks superb with purple.

Comment

Its were an artistic flare meets the craft, as well as knowledge of the sport and whats gone before. A cue make here has that recipe down..

Comment

What as knowledge of the sport got to do with what colour veneers go best with certain woods its mostly common sense and trial and error. I have always found if your using 2 dark woods say ebony and cocobolo or ebony and rosewood a light veneer works best the seperate the 2 woods. If your using a dark wood and a light one say ebony and
                Olive wood / curly maple then you can gat away with using coloured veneers .

Comment

I think I would add to the list of acceptable veneers with black White and red. All other colours can look really naff.

I know the customer is always right but sometimes you should just say no... Sorry if this is your cue but those Blue veneers...
                  http://www.mastercraft-cues.co.uk/cd...36_2053484.jpg
                  sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

For me, it's more than just colour of splices. Colour, quantity & neighbouring woods, together can make or break the aesthetics of a cue for me.

Perfect example is Jasons cue #062 ( pale moon with turquoise veneer ) . Works for me, but 4 x all round would be too much IMHO.

Comment

Is there an easy way to change the colour of a maple / white veneer to make it a different colour ?

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                        What as knowledge of the sport got to do with what colour veneers go best with certain woods its mostly common sense and trial and error. I have always found if your using 2 dark woods say ebony and cocobolo or ebony and rosewood a light veneer works best the seperate the 2 woods. If your using a dark wood and a light one say ebony and
                        Olive wood / curly maple then you can gat away with using coloured veneers .

I think there are some cue makers who have more 'knowledge' of what has gone before in the sport/game of snooker in terms of cues and the woods that have been used for cues trough the games history and for me that would show in there work and make there cues more interesting, they would be the trend setters of there times.
                        With wood being so expensive these days there is not much room for trial and error so, having knowledge of shades, color, textures, wood density so on and the knack for putting that all together will go a long way..
                        I like black and yellow together. Love purple heart too, very popular in the mid 80s though don't see it used so much now..
                        excuse me for opening up the thread ste
                        Last edited by j6uk; 22 February 2013, 11:26 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                          For me, it's more than just colour of splices. Colour, quantity & neighbouring woods, together can make or break the aesthetics of a cue for me.

Perfect example is Jasons cue #062 ( pale moon with turquoise veneer ) . Works for me, but 4 x all round would be too much IMHO.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13151[/ATTACH]

Works for me too. That wood would boost your confidence for your long game

Comment

Working...
                          X