9.5 or 9.8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.5 or 9.8?

Playing with a cue which has a 9.5 tip I want to try the 9.8. But have no idear if I can tell the difference between them. Bought 5 cues one after another and find out the the weight, length and butt dia that I want but here comes a new question that is the tip size. Wondering if 9.8 is better than 9.5. But there are very few cues on the market with 9.8 tip size. Dont want to spend more on ordering a new cue as I spent £1000+ on cues. May have to sell some of my collection if I want to order a new one. Anyone can give me some advice?

Best regards

That's a bizzare question.. only you can answer it, it's different for everyone!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old cue collector --
    Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
    (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

nothing stopping you having a bigger tip on to try

Comment

9.8 ferrule will/may have a slightly thicker taper to the cue which you may not like.
        Do as Jim suggests and maybe try a mushroom tip ???

Comment

I would always advise a player to get a bigger ferrule if their having one made. A lad I was helping with his game ordered a Parris and he ordered a standard 9.5 but when I saw him with the cue I saw it was a 9mm. He told me he phone JP (unknown to me) and changed it to a 9, he thought it would help him with impressive looking screw shots, like Trump style, his game took a dive.. Month later sent it back for 9.5 lol expensive mistake.
          Last edited by j6uk; 24 February 2013, 09:45 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

I've got a phoenix cue here: http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...upreme-ash-cue
            that has a 9.8mm tip going cheap so you could try out a cue with a bigger tip and thicker taper
            77 in a match, 97 in a line up

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
              That's a bizzare question.. only you can answer it, it's different for everyone!

Is a bit odd

Comment

Iv got a couple of machine spliced hand finished cues 9.8 ferrule, with a thinner, straighter taper, cheep too
                http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=64af264fbe
                Last edited by j6uk; 24 February 2013, 10:02 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post

True Jim, nothing wrong with a bit of over-hang, my ferrule is 9.2 with 9.5 tip, does get a bit fiddly shaping it when its time to change the tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by rob s View Post
                    I've got a phoenix cue here: http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...upreme-ash-cue
                    that has a 9.8mm tip going cheap so you could try out a cue with a bigger tip and thicker taper
                    Im going to tell you that my new craftsman pro also has two marks one on the shaft one on the splice. It's brand new but has two marks. I just ignore them although for one second I thought about get it fixed. But I believe I will make more in a few years.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                      will give it a go.

Comment

All these threads you reply to and start about cue specs and brands would it not be better to just walk into a shop like craftsman cues and pick 1 cue?
                        On another point 9.8mm ferrule might be rare but 10mm are 10 a penny....
                        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          9.8 ferrule will/may have a slightly thicker taper to the cue which you may not like.
                          Do as Jim suggests and maybe try a mushroom tip ???
                          Well thicker taper makes me fell safe. (Potting the right place of the cue ball.) Don't know why. personally I think a mushroom tip will not change too much. The mushroom wont give a solid contact but thats what I imagined so will try.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                            I would always advise a player to get a bigger ferrule if their having one made. A lad I was helping with his game ordered a Parris and he ordered a standard 9.5 but when I saw him with the cue I saw it was a 9mm. He told me he phone JP (unknown to me) and changed it to a 9, he thought it would help him with impressive looking screw shots, like Trump style, his game took a dive.. Month later sent it back for 9.5 lol expensive mistake.
                            Must cost him about 50+ if he wants the cue back as the old length.
                            I think the screw shots depends on your cue action, tip, hitting the right place of the cue ball. Trump was bron to play like that.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                              Iv got a couple of machine spliced hand finished cues 9.8 ferrule, with a thinner, straighter taper, cheep too
                              http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=64af264fbe
                              Made by you? Pm the price may give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                              X