Gluing Tips On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluing Tips On

For years I'd glue my tips on with normal cheap superglue and as long as to much wasn't used, a bit of finger pressure for a minute would be enough for the tip to stick.

I also found that with using elks which are pretty thick to start with the advice of the tip soaking up the glue and going hard wasnt really a problem providing you didnt go mad with the glue.

Since changing to laminated tips tho I bought some superglue gel however it appears to take a lot longer to go off meaning the tip needs to be clamped ideally.

Do you have the same probs and if you use a clamp which are the best sort. Dont want it marking the shaft.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Sort of..even though you are using a tip clamp and the superglue gel...let it set for at least an hour, if not overnight. the longer left then the more chance of a complete bind of cue and glue and tip.

Comment

You don't need a clamp.

Just firm pressure for two to five minutes then set the cue aside. Leave it as long as you can afford to and then shape. I've had tips play fine when I've shaped them after being stuck on for five minutes before.

By the same token, I've had tips play bad that have been left to cure overnight.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
        You don't need a clamp.

Just firm pressure for two to five minutes then set the cue aside. Leave it as long as you can afford to and then shape. I've had tips play fine when I've shaped them after being stuck on for five minutes before.

By the same token, I've had tips play bad that have been left to cure overnight.

If you can keep firm pressure on a tip for 5mts with your finger without sliding the tip then your a better man than me. Leaving it overnight isnt the problem. Its that first 10minutes or so. The point I was making is that gel takes longer to set than cheap superglue and a clamp does appear to be needed if only for 15 - 30mts.
        Last edited by Maverick54; 25 February 2013, 04:58 PM.
        "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

I find that more time is needed for the superglue gel to bond effectively, maybe up to an hour or so... and the bond can weaken if you shift the tip around too much when putting it on... I made both mistakes when re-tipping a few cues recently and the tips popped out after a few shots... sickening that.

Also find that some of the laminated tips don't take too well to the gel type.

It's back to the normal, quick drying type for me. It has served me well enough all these years, just need to be more careful when positioning the tip.
          When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

I've used loctite ultra gel for a few years now and finds it sticks within a few seconds with a bit of pressure, leave a couple of hours then trim, never had one come of yet!

Comment

Spot on stejohn, never seen one come off as long as you leave it a while before trimming it. Don't suppose what tip it is makes a difference at all though.
              "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
                If you can keep firm pressure on a tip for 5mts with your finger without sliding the tip then your a better man than me. Leaving it overnight isnt the problem. Its that first 10minutes or so. The point I was making is that gel takes longer to set than cheap superglue and a clamp does appear to be needed if only for 15 - 30mts.
                Tip won't slide or move after around 5-10 seconds, the pressure is more to ensure the entire surface bonds. I personally glue it, hold it a minute, leave it 20 minutes then shape, never had one come off yet.
                No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Some pressed tips are trickier to glue as the surface is so hard and smooth . I like to put a few cross slits on the tip with the blade .

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
                    Tip won't slide or move after around 5-10 seconds, the pressure is more to ensure the entire surface bonds. I personally glue it, hold it a minute, leave it 20 minutes then shape, never had one come off yet.
                    This ish^

I sand the underside of the tip first and then smear a very thin film of superglue all over. Once this has dried, I sand it again and fit, don't put more than a smear on though.

I glue and hold the tip down for about 2 mins tops and I'm trimming it within 20 minutes, never had one come off yet.

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
                      I bought an industrial strength super glue gel off ebay. Got a feeling it could be the glue. I'll try the locktite ultra gel. Thanks for the tips (pardon the pun)

Comment

Here in OZ I use Superglue gel "Shockproof", an orange tube. After cleaning the cue/ferrule area of old glue and sanding the tip base so it sits flush on the cue I can glue the tip on using a small drop on each surface, the gel type glue allows enough time to align the tip and then I just apply finger pressure for approximately 5 minutes. I then shape the tip and start playing, never had one come off yet.
                        One hint though in the cold of winter which would be nowhere near what you fellas experience I place the tube of superglue in warm water for a few minutes. I don't like those tip clamps because they do mark the shaft.

Comment

Originally Posted by stejohn View Post
                          I've used loctite ultra gel for a few years now and finds it sticks within a few seconds with a bit of pressure, leave a couple of hours then trim, never had one come of yet!
                          I had good experience with Loctite gel but they seem to have been taken off the shelf around my area, can't find any. Switched to Scotch gel and the tips start popping out... Could also be me being too hasty of course but I don't think I'll be using the gel type anymore.
                          When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

I have used different gel type superglues (no clue of the names anymore though).

Glued it on, applied pressure for 60 seconds, then shaped straight away. Have never had any problems at all.

Only once I lost a tip after a few minutes of play, but that was glued with tweeten tip cement.

Comment

Originally Posted by stejohn View Post
                              same here - i have done thousands it sticks under pressure in about 5-6 seconds then i leave it to cure.
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                              X