Cue supplier/maker in East Anglia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by luke123 View Post
    Im currently using a 10mm tip but found i needed more ball control, After speaking with one of the top guys at the club he suggested we round/dome my tip more before going smaller, Which i have found has help with ball control but my accuracy as gone down on lon shots maybe 10% which i think is just somthing i need to practise cueing action. slowlly getting better with the more rounded tip,

I do use a 1 peice at the moment but without trying all the different cues i really dont know what suits me more.

Im starting to think instead of having a cue made im best od finding a stockest that have a wide range and a table to try them on before i buy.
    I personally thinks a round tip can give you more control but don't round the tip too much. It's very easy to add some side. You can have a try on some 9.5mm tip cues. Cue action could be the reason or it's just you are not get used to it. Give it some time.

A well made 3/4 cue feels like a 1pc cue so I think 3/4 or 1pc is not a problem. Just get what you prefer.

I highly not sugest you to order a cue. It will cost you a lot of money and time. I spent abut 1000+ to find my right cue because I think the craftsman's show room is too far away. Looking back I think I made a huge mistake. If you order one cue from a top cue markers it will take you about 10-50 weeks. When you finally get your cue and you think there is something that you want to change and send the cue back will once again cost you about 50 or so +Postage.

Pick up as many as possible cues are recommended by a lot of people if you are not sure what you want. Save you a lot of time and money as you can try the cue in you hand and if you dont like it just change one and go on trying.

Comment

this is what i will do i think, But there are not many stockist with a large range of cues to try near me.

Comment

I am kind of local in northamptonshire.

I have a stunning one piece maple cue which has been customised by Robin Cook. He has tapered, refinished, ferruled, tipped and put a leather butt pad on the cue. The finish is phenomenal.

The spec is 18oz, 18 inch balance point, 58 inches, 8.5 tip, 30mm butt.

It currently has MW laminated supertip fitted.

if you interested in giving it a go then send me a PM once you have made 10 posts.

As for my overall advice, I would recommend you try as many cues as you possibly can until you find the one which feels right for you. I reckon you know whether it feels right with 30 seconds of holding it. This maybe be 1 cue or 10 cues.

If you are in a position to hit some balls with it then this plays a major part but this is not possible in every situation.

After time, if you play with a cue for decent period of time, it will feel natural and part of your arm anyway.

Then you get people like me and other forum members who like something new or change just for fun or fancy a new design etc.

Any cue maker can make you a good cue but there is a difference in class between a few cue makers to the rest.

Good luck

Comment

My advice would be jump in your car, on the bus, train and go to Greenbaize (think its in Stockton on tees)
          Stu is one of the nicest most knowledgable blokes you could ever wish to meet. He always has over 200 cues in stock from budget cues all the way up to the top of your budget and beyond. There are both snooker and pool tables on the premises so you can try out a selection of cues and Stu is a proffesional snooker and pool player and will be happy to give you advise without a pressure sale. In particular I recommend his own range of cues GBL, you can pick up a plain ebony butt one up for around £200. Honestly mate you wont go wrong with Greenbaize, I have bought two cues from Stu and they are the best cues I have ever owned!

Comment

Thank you al for your advise its been greatly appreciated!

I found out today that there is a guy 5minutes from me that restores cues and has a large range of cues, So going down to have a look at his range tonight and give a load of different specs a try to see what feels right

Comment

So after trying out about 10-15 different cues last night, Iv got more of an understading of what spec i would like,

Maple shaft rather than Ash as i found the grain feel in the ash cues to be very discratcing and make the cue feel rough.

ebony but and weight fairly forward

Are there any cue makers that i could get a new maple and ebony 1 peice cue from for around £150

Comment

Originally Posted by luke123 View Post
                Thank you al for your advise its been greatly appreciated!

I found out today that there is a guy 5minutes from me that restores cues and has a large range of cues, So going down to have a look at his range tonight and give a load of different specs a try to see what feels right
                Can you say who and where he is? Is it a shop or a club or his workshop?
                What sort of stock/makes, etc., did he have?
                cheers
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

yes of course his name is John Bradford works from his workshop in the garden

Comment

Working...
                  X