John Higgins cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Higgins cue

Heard Neal Foulds yesterday saying that john wasnt completely happy with his new cue and that he had some alterations done possibly after wales. Can anyone shed any more light on this?

I didn't hear that part of the commentary but I've felt all season he's struggled with it. He had one good tournament with it and that was the final against Judd where he hit the maximum but since that he's hardly won many matches at all. Wouldn't surprise me if he changes cue again at the end of the season. You can only alter a cue so many times before you need to get rid and try another one.

Comment

If he had left it alone after beating Judd in the final. he may have had more success this season. I think Foulds / Everton said that he'd had it altered soon after that win ! After the maximum and manner of victory if I were him I'd have left well alone, but I suppose he plays with it on a daily basis and knows what suits best....

Comment

John has always mucked about with his cues - he's a tinkerer and is always getting bits chopped off, added back on, specs changed etc. etc.

Doesn't sound any different with this cue.

Comment

You're right there Gerry he has done this in the past. Interestingly though I don't think he had many changes to his North West cue where I think he played his best and most consistent stuff with. Still find it strange why he dumped that cue considering how well he has played with that, yet the same cannot be said with this current cue.

Comment

Yes I re ferruled Johns cue before leaving to take it upto 9.7mm
            Before he left.
            It was 9.6mm wanted it a tad shorter and a tad Thicker.

Comment

Originally Posted by raymo147 View Post
              Before he left.
              begs the question, would that really make much difference! I doubt it and I don't see what he gains from messing around with a cue he has already played well enough with to knock in a max and beat an in form Trump in the final in China earlier in the season. Have you ever spoken to him about this or do you just not question him?

Comment

That's really all down to John himself and if he feels it may slightly change something in his game for the better then he will try it.
                I've spoke to him about many things about his cue.
                He even brought his North West to my workshop to compare.
                And like most players his spec now is totally different.
                I know Trevor has done a fair bit of work on his current cue which I must say is lovely.
                I have to upmost respect for Trev and his work.

Comment

I've no doubt Fedia will have it soon then!!!.........

Just like all the cues he's had that Ronnie used..........

Comment

Doubt that very much.

Comment

Don't thnk it has anything to do with the cue, he's at the age where players games start to decline. I think it's more likely to be the cause.

Comment

Originally Posted by raymo147 View Post
                        Before he left.
                        If that's the case he's had work done to in the interim, when he had the cue made it was a smaller tip size than that, he brought it back to Trevor and got it taken upto 9.8mm. That was a good while back though. Just seems like he's back to his habits of fishing for some kind of formula that works, despite the cue already being a very specific build. Going up .1mm imo isn't going to be noticeable at all.

Comment

Placebo effect or not, it seems to have worked for him today!!

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                            Don't thnk it has anything to do with the cue, he's at the age where players games start to decline. I think it's more likely to be the cause.
                            Yes i agree with that, you see it with Davis though not to the same extent, i think Mark Williams is a different case, he's the same as Higgins in regard he's not what he used to be throughout a whole season, but i don't think Mark would tinker too much at all compared to others in decline...
                            Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

I agree its all in the head but can you really question him when most of us who have played to a reasonable level are probably the same.
                              When you finally find peace with a cue and the longer you don't think about it and get on with your game the better.
                              He's the type of guy I've spoke to when you think his heads really gone who then goes to the next tourney and wins it.

Comment

Working...
                              X