Mathew Stevens cue specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mathew Stevens cue specs

Anyone know Mathews cue specs? I just read on WS that he used two different cues to win his first couple of matches in Haikou.. Who's cues did he use?
    I haven't checked but I guess this is being talked about somewhere on here
    Cheers

Not sure what his cue specs are but I believe they were posted on the forum some time ago, so if you search for them you might be lucky...

His cue didn't arrive in Haikou, so he borrowed Mark Williams' cue (and actually played better with it than Mark is at the moment).

Comment

His cue is a Hunt and O'Bryne . But it was damaged and David Gray took it to Robert Osborne many years' ago for Matthew. He carried out the repair by adding the splice . Looks like Tulipwood to me .

As for specs , not sure .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I wonder if he's tried a trevor White cue, i know Ryan Day uses one.

Comment

I believe from the commentators he borrowed Selby's cue for his first match and then Mark J's for his second match. Then his turned up.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I'm sure, but haven't checked, that he plays with a fairly small tip, so using the other guys cues must have been a struggle.

Comment

Matts cue is not very long, perhaps no more than 57".

The ferrule is fairly small and only maybe just over 9mm, he's a bugger for shining it with abrasive paper. Butt diameter is fairly small at around 29mm. I'm not sure of the weight, but it has quite a forward balance at over 18".

It was originally a Hunt & O'Byrne cue, but as has been mentioned, he dropped it onto a tiled floor and cracked a bit off the butt, which back then was plain ebony. Since then, it's been lengthened more times than the UK motorway system, mainly because he can't stop shining that bloody ferrule, which means he needs to get it redone frequently, which in turn shortens the cue. It's pretty much always been lengthened with tulipwood.

Last time it was done I did it, though that was maybe 2 years ago now.

He'll probably be due to get it done again soon, because I know he isn't going to stop shining that ferrule.

I'm really hoping he does the biz tomorrow. It would be great to see him do so well after wafting about for several years. He is a really class player is Matthew.
              Last edited by trevs1; 2 March 2013, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
                I'm sure, but haven't checked, that he plays with a fairly small tip, so using the other guys cues must have been a struggle.
                Yeah, Mark.J looked to be using a 10 when he played fantastic and won The China a few years ago then he went back down to a 9 maybe 9.5 wtf. Selby looks like he's on a 9.25 or so, for me weight and balance would be more crucial to performing well with a strange cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post

The ferrule is fairly small and only maybe just over 9mm, he's a bugger for shining it with abrasive paper. Butt diameter is fairly small at around 29mm. I'm not sure of the weight, but it has quite a forward balance at over 18".

It was originally a Hunt & O'Byrne cue, but as has been mentioned, he dropped it onto a tiled floor and cracked a bit off the butt, which back then was plain ebony. Since then, it's been lengthened more times than the UK motorway system, mainly because he can't stop shining that bloody ferrule, which means he needs to get it redone frequently, which in turn shortens the cue. It's pretty much always been lengthened with tulipwood.

He'll probably be due to get it done again soon, because I know he isn't going to stop shining that ferrule.

I'm really hoping he does the biz tomorrow. It would be great to see him do so well after wafting about for several years. He is a really class player is Matthew.
                  Nice one Trev i was just thinking earlier that his cue butt has seemed to be getting longer while the shaft getting shorter each season. I remember his cue seemed fairly thick taper up until the last few inches then down to quite a small diameter tip for years. Then when i saw it yesterday fhe taper looked slimmer and more and the shaft shorter.

Comment

... because I know he isn't going to stop shining that ferrule.
                    saw Matthew with a small bit of what looked like emery cloth, polishing the ferrule twice during the final
                    Clive mentioned it "...someplayers like seeing the ferrule..."
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

The balance ends up all over the place if it continues.
                      I was bad for doing this as a youngster and ruined the feel and play of a hunt I loved.
                      I learned the hard way.
                      If he doesn't touch the wood under the ferrule most cue makers may be able to just change the
                      ferrule without losing any length.

Comment

Trevor what is the best way of keeping the ferrule shiny without using sandpaper?

Comment

So what would be the best way to shine the ferule without wasting it? I only learnt about this not so long ago and checked my ferules on my spare cues which had all gone down by around 2mm's from using fine sandpaper.. i do like a shiny ferule..

Comment

Use Wire Wool...

Comment

Surely when you shine a ferrule it makes the walls thinner after a while, don't understand how it could have went down 2mm? What way were you shining it?

Comment

Working...
                              X