Mathew Stevens cue specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are ferrules even 1mm thick?
    Don't see how you could drop 2mm and still have a ferrule. Personally I leave mine alone doesn't seem worth the hassle just to have a super shiny ferrule.
    No one shines the green off the statue of liberty do they :P
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Fine wire wools the best!!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
        Are ferrules even 1mm thick?
        Don't see how you could drop 2mm and still have a ferrule. Personally I leave mine alone doesn't seem worth the hassle just to have a super shiny ferrule.
        No one shines the green off the statue of liberty do they :P
        Sorry sorry i meant to say .2 mm. Also i think using a pencil sharpener can be a bad idea if not carefull..

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
          Matts cue is not very long, perhaps no more than 57".

The ferrule is fairly small and only maybe just over 9mm, he's a bugger for shining it with abrasive paper. Butt diameter is fairly small at around 29mm. I'm not sure of the weight, but it has quite a forward balance at over 18".

It was originally a Hunt & O'Byrne cue, but as has been mentioned, he dropped it onto a tiled floor and cracked a bit off the butt, which back then was plain ebony. Since then, it's been lengthened more times than the UK motorway system, mainly because he can't stop shining that bloody ferrule, which means he needs to get it redone frequently, which in turn shortens the cue. It's pretty much always been lengthened with tulipwood.

Last time it was done I did it, though that was maybe 2 years ago now.

He'll probably be due to get it done again soon, because I know he isn't going to stop shining that ferrule.

I'm really hoping he does the biz tomorrow. It would be great to see him do so well after wafting about for several years. He is a really class player is Matthew.
          Make him a brass shaft cue so he can shine it and change it without lengthened it. Problem solved!

Comment

Anyone ever try maguirres car wax on the ferrules. Doesn't damage the ferrule or the wood. In fact if u use it on the butt woods really brings out the shine on the woods. I know. I tried it. And cue feels silky too

Comment

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
              Anyone ever try maguirres car wax on the ferrules. Doesn't damage the ferrule or the wood. In fact if u use it on the butt woods really brings out the shine on the woods. I know. I tried it. And cue feels silky too
              Out of interest do you not find chalk sticks to the car type wax? If it didn't I may give it a trail regarding the ferrule...
              Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

If it's anything like the car restorer we use at work (white gloop) I've taken the anodising off parts before so they are not always as kind as you think....
                Autoglim I think it's called
                Really gets marks off metalwork though

Comment

that's polish bud, with minor cutting agent not the same as wax bud...

I guess you don't detail your motors much then...

Comment

Note just abuse car Polish to correct minor mistakes, I mean natural imperfections that had nothing to do with me :P

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                      Out of interest do you not find chalk sticks to the car type wax? If it didn't I may give it a trail regarding the ferrule...
                      never had marks left after application mate. Its a wax and all it does is forms a powdery substance that wipes away easy after it has dried. When using on the ferrule u can tape of the area just below the ferrule using a liTtle in your hand. A matchstick head amount will do for a ferrule. Run it on the ferrule with your finger for about 20 seconds and you will see. I will do a demo and post pics here of before and after pics. I guess that is best.
                      Last edited by sanman; 6 March 2013, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X