Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks cally

Comment

As cally says I'd leave specifics up to the cuemaker.
      Just telling them you want it forward balanced should be enough.
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        snap........
        +1 haha
        "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
          As cally says I'd leave specifics up to the cuemaker.
          Just telling them you want it forward balanced should be enough.
          +1
          let the cuemaker do what he knows best
          by the way, who is the cuemaker?
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            Mine was the Riley all ash two piece in a soft case 20 quid, ah happy days..
            no case, 2pc bce reardon cue, dark wood bottom half, maple top half and it played as good as any cue, it just didn't look the nuts - same as Primark Tshirt vs Armani Tshirt - both do the same thing but one looks more cool

Comment

My thoughts were that your here to do a bit of brain storming but, yes the simple answer is to say to your maker that you want a more forward bp on your 55. If your cue maker goes "err what do you mean" say you've had second thoughts ask for your money back

Comment

They made some good basic cues back then ah?! and prob better Ts..

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
                no case, 2pc bce reardon cue, dark wood bottom half, maple top half and it played as good as any cue, it just didn't look the nuts - same as Primark Tshirt vs Armani Tshirt - both do the same thing but one looks more cool

Comment

Originally Posted by alanvdh View Post
                  Can you guys talk some sense? I've been called mental but I don't seem to be the only one
                  Here's some sense for you Alan and don't take it personally.
                  As a beginner you have no idea what specs you want because you haven't learned to play yet. Very nearly all players learn the game with a cue that they don't know, they get used to it, their game grows with that cue and then that cue's specs become the specs that suits their game.
                  Some move on to a cue made by a top maker tailored to the specs they are used to, some stay with the same cue they learned with, some chop and change cues all the time looking for something that will work when the reality is that they just aren't good enough or are inconsistant through no fault of their cue at all.

Don't try to run before you can walk mate.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                    , some chop and change cues all the time looking for something that will work when the reality is that they just aren't good enough or are inconsistant through no fault of their cue at all.
                    Like J Higgins and O'Sullivan to name just a few..

Comment

If I was having a 55" made, I would ask for the splicing to be in keeping with the size of the cue, say around the 17" in length.
                      Last edited by j6uk; 4 March 2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Wasn't trying to have a go at you just feel for you that you've spent more on a cue that some seasoned century break players would not.

I have just ordered a set of custom cues. But I know my spec down to the letter from near 20 years of practicing the game. I certainly couldn't use a cue to the spec of my first because back then in snooker terms, I didn't know my arse from my elbow.

55.5 inches is way too short for a snooker cue. If you say you have trouble with anything longer then it's your technique that's wrong and needs adjusting. Not the cue.

Comment

Although there are a lot of 55's wanted in the east.. Still would like to know who's making this cue?!
                          Last edited by j6uk; 5 March 2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                            Wasn't trying to have a go at you just feel for you that you've spent more on a cue that some seasoned century break players would not.

I have just ordered a set of custom cues. But I know my spec down to the letter from near 20 years of practicing the game. I certainly couldn't use a cue to the spec of my first because back then in snooker terms, I didn't know my arse from my elbow.

55.5 inches is way too short for a snooker cue. If you say you have trouble with anything longer then it's your technique that's wrong and needs adjusting. Not the cue.
                            That is a sweeping generalisation to say 55.5 inches is too short for a snooker cue, you don't even know how tall this guy is!!! Also John Higgins used a 55.5 inch cue for snooker and did pretty well with it. This is not a dig directly at you but sometimes the attitude on this forum stinks especially from the experienced players, basically if you can't knock in a 80-100 break you shouldn't buy an expensive cue which is a load of bollocks!! People buy expensive cars (usually for the badge) that can go 160mph in a country where the speed limit is 70mph are they all wrong too? Should they buy a smart car as its cheaper and they are a new driver who can't drive that quick? Stop telling people what to do with their hard earned money, if people wanna spend £300 on a cue its their choice. Nobody is bashing you for your cue competition idea as its your money so its your choice mate
                            Last edited by rob s; 5 March 2013, 09:48 AM.
                            77 in a match, 97 in a line up

Comment

Couldn't agree more.

But, he has come onto the forum asking for advice on what a beginner should be looking for in a cue.

I may be in the minority, but my advice would be against spending £300 on a cue that is so far removed from a standard spec when you consider he may play the game for a month and pack it in.

Look at the trouble Alabadi is having selling his 55" cue from a reputable maker.

The car argument is not even close to being a parable.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                                I have just ordered a set of custom cues. But I know my spec down to the letter from near 20 years of practicing the game.
                                A set?! Sounds like a lot of cues there pottr, how many exactly and who's making them?

Comment

Working...
                                X