Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

But, he has come onto the forum asking for advice on what a beginner should be looking for in a cue.

I may be in the minority, but my advice would be against spending £300 on a cue that is so far removed from a standard spec when you consider he may play the game for a month and pack it in.

Look at the trouble Alabadi is having selling his 55" cue from a reputable maker.

The car argument is not even close to being a parable.
    Great reply! I like you pottr, you seem to be an intelligent guy who comes up with good arguments and don't turn in to a slanging match. Your point above is right he did ask for advice on a snooker forum so that's what he is getting. I feel for Alabadi but his cue was also 9mm so had 2 things out of normal spec range which makes it harder to sell. I totally agree its best to stay in standard specs just in case he does stop playing after a month or 2.
    I just wish some TSF members would stop having a go at new members for wanting a nice cue even if they can't knock in a 16, everybody can spend their money how they choose!
    77 in a match, 97 in a line up

Comment

A set?! Sounds like a lot of cues there pottr, how many exactly and who's making them?
      Check out my 'cue contest' thread. Ordered from:
      Richy Macdonald
      Trevor White
      John Parris
      Dave Coutts
      Robin Cook
      Tony Glover
      Mike Wooldridge

All cues to exactly the same spec... Designed to inform others on the custom cue saga.

Great reply! I like you pottr, you seem to be an intelligent guy who comes up with good arguments and don't turn in to a slanging match
      Thanks. I try to just keep honest and offer advice where it's sought. There's nothing to say my advice carries any merit but my intention is always to help.
      I love snooker, everything about it. The history, the game itself, the equipment, the people... Just everything.

Your point above is right he did ask for advice on a snooker forum so that's what he is getting.
      Hopefully, it's a lesson learnt. I have been lucky enough to benefit from advice over my own snooker problems. Geoff Large and Bill (Maryfield) helped me out a treat when I was setting up my own snooker room. Geoff actually came around to give the table the once over just out of kindness.
      Mike Wooldridge and Richy Macdonald (The Doctor), Mr Ramsey (ADR) are always a massive help when posed questions about cues, business practice and market trends.
      Vmax on here is also a legend, he sent me a cue he'd made for my pup without even asking if I'd like one. It's what my lad takes to the pub on a Saturday when he mashes my dad up on the pool table

It's a nice community this forum, it really is. You get some idiots, some strongly opinionated and some deluded, but that's true of everywhere I guess?

I feel for Alabadi but his cue was also 9mm so had 2 things out of normal spec range which makes it harder to sell. I totally agree its best to stay in standard specs just in case he does stop playing after a month or 2.
      I like Alabadi. He's very keen to learn and that's all you want from anyone... Entusiasm in the things they do.
      I play with a 9mm ferrule myself, but I didn't start out that way, just takes effort to learn.

I just wish some TSF members would stop having a go at new members for wanting a nice cue even if they can't knock in a 16, everybody can spend their money how they choose!
      My motto exactly. If you want something, you can afford it. What's stopping you?

Comment

Can't believe I forgot to mention Terry! The coaching Don!

Comment

Check out my 'cue contest' thread. Ordered from:
          Richy Macdonald
          Trevor White
          John Parris
          Dave Coutts
          Robin Cook
          Tony Glover
          Mike Wooldridge

All cues to exactly the same spec... Designed to inform others on the custom cue saga.

Don't see my name there Jack :crushed:

Comment

Vmax on here is also a legend, he sent me a cue he'd made for my pup without even asking if I'd like one. It's what my lad takes to the pub on a Saturday when he mashes my dad up on the pool table
            Not like you to miss one of the facts out matey.

You had a special mention x

Comment

Can't believe I forgot to mention Terry! The coaching Don!
              Is that T Griffiths?

That is an impressive list of cues coming your way.. You say they will all be the same spec, please may we know the spec?

Comment

Terry Davidson

58" one piece maple
                9mm ferrule
                29mm butt
                19oz
                BP as close to 18.5" as poss without compromising on weight

Full set of extensions.

Decoration unimportant, but I like the burr on maple look, so I've chosen that.

Comment

What's the dims on the shaft taper pottr?

Comment

Not like you to miss one of the facts out matey.

You had a special mention x
                    I meant amongst the cuemakers :neglected:

Comment

Hi Guys, just a quick update. I' m surprised by some reactions. I've decided on 56 inch instead of 55.5 and a slightly forward bias on the bp as somebody advised here on the forum. 300 pounds doesn't seem exessive for a cue, extentions and case after checking out Parris, Wooldridge etc. etc. The cue I have now is a GBL and the service from Green Baize has been to be honest beyond excellent. Since a new batch is being ordered soon I have the opportunity to get one exactly to what I like.
                      My original post was purely to find out what the balancing point should be because my first cue was long and therefore I would hold the cue far down the butt, thus making the business end light.

Comment

The man behind GBL, Stu has an excellent reputation amongst this forum.

He will not steer you wrong.

Comment

You can't go wrong with a GBL cue, amongst the very best quality wise and Stu is a fantastic bloke to deal with.

Hope you love your new cue when it arrives.

Comment

I was kind off reluctant to mention him in case I encourage other people to be a pain in the backside like I am. He gone beyond anyones expectations.

Comment

He sells snooker cues, he will be well used to it by now!!

We are a VERY fussy bunch.

Comment

Hey Gerry, thanks, I feel less guilty now

Comment

Working...
                                X