A cue returns home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cue returns home

After returning to the game in early 2009 after many years away, this was the first decent cue i bought in early Nov 09, i bought it off ebay from someone who has become a very good cue mate, we must of bought/sold over 75 cues between us over the last few years, cheers mate
    I played really well with it then hit a brick wall around the early 40's break mark. Some decent players in my club suggested the tip was too small for me and was holding me back, so i decided to sell it on and look for something else.
    The cue was sold to a forum member in South Africa who luckily for me still had it when i decided i wanted it back lol, anyhow after a cue swop was settled on it eventually got back to me. I say eventually because with mail strikes and likely opening of the packaging it arrived back some 6 months !!!! after being posted. It arrived in a bit of a state with ebony cracked below the joint and no longer lining up etc. It was sent to Jim Evans for fixing and is now back how i want it, thanks Jim

Cue is around 18 1/2 years old now, and is what i call "pre chevrons" lol, before people went mad asking for cosmetically perfect cues, this has proper seasoned ash and is a lovely golden colour. I really like the neat joint on it, so much slimmer than the modern chunky one's. I will be getting a nice mushroom tip on it next time i visit Stu at Greenbaize.
    Specs: 58", 9 mm ferrule, 19.2 oz, 30 mm butt, 17" balance point, 3/4 split at 16"

Is the joint original to the cue? Looks like a Parris joint that's been shimmed down. And you've not see a chunk joint till you've owned a Hunt & O'Byrne cue
    Last edited by narl; 16 March 2013, 05:42 PM.

Comment

I was told Parris did a few different joints in the old days, this being a better one, in my opinion of course. But possible it has been modified ???
      Yeah the cue i had from Raymo had a very chunky H & O style joint, not my cup of tea at all !!

Comment

It's froggys upper class cousin!
        You planning on playing with this one or keeping it for sentimental reasons?
        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Just to add to all of this. The cue was in my possesion. When JCR sent me pics of that cue I was horrified. It was cracked on the splice and I can only attribute this to someone using the cue whilst in transit. After me raising hell at the postal services department the cue was tracked down. Someone had taped the extensions so that when the tape was removed it also removed the extensions finish as well. The cue was craked on the shaft above the joint on one of the ebony splices. The tip was horribly stuck on with a nasty looking ferrule with many scratches. Whoever the b@st@rd that did this I don't know and the post office neither confirmed that it was tampered with. All I have to say on my part is I could never treat a cue this way and when the cue was in my possesion I had it in same condition as I received it. I did compensate JCR with regards to fixing costs and I see Jim has done a splendid job. The cue just didn't suit me and I traded it for a burwat replica which is suiting me better. For all this I must say sorry to JCR as it was not his fault and he was patient and understanding. The b@st@rd who cracked that cue and I am pretty sure it was here in south Africa, may he rot in hell. Need to find some more cost effective way other than postoffice to send cue abroad. Lastly JCR I am sure u must be happy that the cue-is back to original and happy potting mate. I don't want to take blame just that I live in a beautiful country with f#cked up people.
          Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          After returning to the game in early 2009 after many years away, this was the first decent cue i bought in early Nov 09, i bought it off ebay from someone who has become a very good cue mate, we must of bought/sold over 75 cues between us over the last few years, cheers mate
          I played really well with it then hit a brick wall around the early 40's break mark. Some decent players in my club suggested the tip was too small for me and was holding me back, so i decided to sell it on and look for something else.
          The cue was sold to a forum member in South Africa who luckily for me still had it when i decided i wanted it back lol, anyhow after a cue swop was settled on it eventually got back to me. I say eventually because with mail strikes and likely opening of the packaging it arrived back some 6 months !!!! after being posted. It arrived in a bit of a state with ebony cracked below the joint and no longer lining up etc. It was sent to Jim Evans for fixing and is now back how i want it, thanks Jim

Cue is around 18 1/2 years old now, and is what i call "pre chevrons" lol, before people went mad asking for cosmetically perfect cues, this has proper seasoned ash and is a lovely golden colour. I really like the neat joint on it, so much slimmer than the modern chunky one's. I will be getting a nice mushroom tip on it next time i visit Stu at Greenbaize.
          Specs: 58", 9 mm ferrule, 19.2 oz, 30 mm butt, 17" balance point, 3/4 split at 16"

Comment

Yeah my initial anger was directed towards sanman, but then we came to realise that packaging had been opened and cue played with/abused. Probably re-posted after inquiries by sanman at the post office.
            This is how i received lol, was nearly in tears ha ha ha
            And yes Rob it will be for sentimental reasons, but used it last night and only just got beat 6-5, so well happy with the way it plays
            Edit: pics playing up
            Last edited by jrc750; 16 March 2013, 06:38 PM.

Comment

well if i were looking for a parris cue for myself it would be one of those.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

i played a few games with it smashing cue

Comment

Here are pics as it came back, photobucket playing up****ed up JP 002.JPG****ed up JP 006.JPG****ed up JP 007.JPG****ed up JP 008.JPG

Comment

looks really nice that, love the colour of the shaft.

Comment

That's got a lovely shaft. Nicest Parris I've seen in a while...
                      "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Great cue this well seasoned ash, great taper and the older style Parris joint, cues like this are the reason Parris cues became so sort after.

Nice story as well just goes to show we'll stop at nothing to get our first loves back....well when it comes to cues anyway......lol

Really pleased you got it back mate ......;-)
                        Last edited by CueAntW147; 17 March 2013, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
                          Great cue this well seasoned ash, great taper and the older style Parris joint, cues like this are the reason Parris cues became so sort after.

Nice story as well just goes to show we'll stop at nothing to get our first loves back....well when it comes to cues anyway......lol

Really pleased you got it back mate ......;-)
                          Thanks Ant, should never have sold it really, but now it's back it's a keeper ,
                          I was happy too that i took to it straight away again, all along thinking the small tip and heavier weight still wouldn't be right for me, but i think my vast improvement (lol) has enabled me to adjust no problem, now just a bigger tip should sort it out !!

Comment

I was happy too that i took to it straight away again, all along thinking the small tip and heavier weight still wouldn't be right for me, but i think my vast improvement (lol) has enabled me to adjust no problem, now just a bigger tip should sort it out !!
                            You know what mate actually if we all just picked a cue up and played with it didn't worry or check any measurements, weights etc it would solve alot of problems it would mean the cue just suited us or it didn't.

Sometimes we have an idea on what spec we think we want or suits us and decide a cues not suited before we even give it a proper try,which is why most professional players don't know much about specs etc and most couldn't tell you there own cue spec, they just find a cue that suits and let there cue makers/doctors do the rest.

Sure when Stu's done one of his tapered magic mushrooms on it you'll be well way

Comment

Its depressing when you can't get on with a cue you really love. Still take magner out to the club fairly regularly. Never ends well but it makes him feel happier ;p
                              Froggy seems to be working out ok at the minute though he shares a case with magner so magner gets a walk out every week
                              Glad your getting on with yours enough to give it a whirl at least occasionally.
                              sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X