DIY Cue Doctoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Cue Doctoring

So I bought myself a cheap Chinese cue back last year, along with a few others, trying to suss out what spec I wanted for when I spend some real money. So I am happy with the length, weight, tip size, which are 57.5" long, 18.2Oz and a 9.7mm tip.

What I did not like was the crappy look of the butt, I like the classic look, Ebony butt, no fancy splices or veneers, so I thought why not change it until I can order my own custom cue. If this had gone wrong I would have been out of pocket by £45.00 max, so no great shakes.

So I set about the cue with varying grades of sandpaper to get rid of all the paint on the butt, and to get the shaft back to bare wood. Started at 600 working my way down to 1800 and 0000 wire wool. The only bit i did not rub right down was the painted on splices on t5he main shaft, just enough to get rid of the original coating, but not enough to get rid of the completely.

The butt was then stained with Indian Ink, and the whole cue oiled with raw linseed oil, probably had about 6-8 coats, really light rub with the wire wool in between, took a couple of days for drying and stuff, and tonight I have buffed till my arms felt like they were going to drop off. Cue is silky smooth, the shaft has darkened considerably, and the butt feels great.

Full set of before and after can be seen in my Cheap LP cues album, heres a few to be going on with.

Before.

1.JPG

After.

IMG_0147.JPGIMG_0152.JPG

Looks a lot classier! I did this for a mate but used black french polish, took a while to get he hang of it and was really messy, how did you find the indian ink?
    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

The Indian Ink was a piece of cake, 30ml bottle from The Range £3.99, 2 or 3 coats that dry in about 20mins, job done, it is blacker than black and I really like the results, i put it on with the 0000 wire wool, then gave it a light rub in between coats, and a final rub before starting the oiling process.

Comment

Did the ink completely cover the splices then? I did a very similar thing but used a spray satin paint. Got a great result but never thought of using ink. Did the butt match the shaft splices for colour when finished
        Last edited by Maverick54; 18 March 2013, 10:24 PM.
        "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Yep all matches, the original splices on the shaft are of course paint and not real splices, the Ink covered everything on the butt.

Comment

Originally Posted by Maxsys View Post
            Yep all matches, the original splices on the shaft are of course paint and not real splices, the Ink covered everything on the butt.
            Youve done a cracking job of that very impressive finish. I didnt touch my shaft. I thought there would be splices underneath the paint but they would proberbly be uneven so I left it untouched. The butt doesnt quite match up for colour now but is much much better. May try again with ink when I get bored one day lol.
            "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
            X