Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re darken ash grain

hello,

i have 2 ash chevrons that have faded on my trevor white cue and wonder how or if i can get these back to being dark??

(through sanding and refinishing by myself, this was done purely as when ferrule was refitted by craftsmen they used their wax on the wood below ferrule and rest of the cue i have finished with the MW oil, so felt horrid)

it doesnt affet play ofr anything so no big problem really just a visual thing, that if it can be sorted then i might like it to be

thanks all

Not a difficult job to do yourself - if you know what your doing, else it can end up in a big mess. Just a case of stripping the wood removing any wax/oil, filling/sealing the grains (add a dye to grain filler to make nearly black) then oil finish.

Edit: This stuff would have been ok:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aurora-Ful...p2047675.l2557

However not available at the moment and expensive. Can mix similar yourself for a fraction of the price but gives an idea whats involved.
    Last edited by stejohn; 19 March 2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

ah thanks, i knew i had seen that somewhere, i spoke to craftsman 5 mins from me and they can grain fill the shaft rather have this done properly on a TW cue than trying myself... if it does involve covering whole cue and re sanding back down

Comment

Be very careful with any dyes as they go different colors on different woods and can be a bugger to reverse !!! Also the last thing I would use is a load of colored grain filler !!! Sure you will be doing the right thing by taking it to a pro to do !!!

Comment

How else would you fill/darken the grain then?

Comment

Hi , Ash is an open grained wood and it needs to breath !!! Darkening the grain is just a cosmetic thing !!! Its best re-doing the whole shaft with a black dye rubbing it well into all the grain and then cutting the white ash back revealing the black grain !!! Re color the shaft with lots of coffee and a tiny bit of water mixed, apply using a soft cloth and leave overnight cut back using 0000 wire wool this will give a gentle aged glow to the shaft !!! I cant tell you what to finish the shaft with as its a recipe that isnt available to the market , suffice to say I restore Antique Violins and let me assure you , the customers are far more critical and do require perfection Please dont fill the grain , Its just not a good idea lol

Comment

Grain filler is used buy luthiers making and repairing Guitars, can't see the problem using this on a cue

http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.c...s/fillers.html

Comment

OK be my guest and try it !!! Its ok when you are making a cue !!! Well before you start the sanding process dip it in a big pot of black paint wait until its dry and sand it until you have the correct taper and finish !!!! You sent me a link viewing pots of glug in different colors but I can assure you No Luthier I know wastes their money on pots of rubbish PS I restore fine Valuable Violins not home made Guitars ,, Treat your cue like an extension of your arm !!!! Dip it in paint and leave overnight

PS The most valuable Violin I have worked on was worth over £ 250,000 So a big pot of filler really wasnt the answer !!!!

Comment

where u based tomee

Comment

Originally Posted by stejohn View Post
                    Not a difficult job to do yourself - if you know what your doing, else it can end up in a big mess. Just a case of stripping the wood removing any wax/oil, filling/sealing the grains (add a dye to grain filler to make nearly black) then oil finish.

Edit: This stuff would have been ok:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aurora-Ful...p2047675.l2557

However not available at the moment and expensive. Can mix similar yourself for a fraction of the price but gives an idea whats involved.
                    I have just used this stuff on my jp (http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...regraining-cue), it's different to normal grain filler as when it dries it becomes rubber like (sort of) so change of conditions shouldn't affect it.

Comment

Hi Jim , I live Nr Knutsford Cheshire ??

Comment

only been nosey mate anybody who does cues like to contact lol,

Comment

Originally Posted by tomeestrings View Post
                          OK be my guest and try it !!! Its ok when you are making a cue !!! Well before you start the sanding process dip it in a big pot of black paint wait until its dry and sand it until you have the correct taper and finish !!!! You sent me a link viewing pots of glug in different colors but I can assure you No Luthier I know wastes their money on pots of rubbish PS I restore fine Valuable Violins not home made Guitars ,, Treat your cue like an extension of your arm !!!! Dip it in paint and leave overnight

PS The most valuable Violin I have worked on was worth over £ 250,000 So a big pot of filler really wasnt the answer !!!!
                          I was not talking home made, but obviously ou have your mind made up so we can leave it at that

Comment

@ tomeestrings....

Appreciate your points so thanks, im looking at the aurora stuff (gonna try it on a spare cue before my TW) im just wondering why a difference of opinions between yourself and aurora's??? especially if its sanded filled an refinished properly which im accomplished at... surely a cue with stripped back to bare wood, grain filled and sanded and refinished would put it pretty much back as new

thannks

Comment

Is that Aurora stuff just wood stain?
                              mind control > body control > cue control > ball control

Comment

Working...
                              X