No announcement yet.

New cue .... Need help !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personally I would not buy the fibre wrapped cue, a friend has one and it has started coming away at the tip end.
    As you say, you have a shop near that you go and feel a cue, that would be better than buying blind on website, especially at "beginner" stage
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      personally I would not buy the fibre wrapped cue, a friend has one and it has started coming away at the tip end.
      As you say, you have a shop near that you go and feel a cue, that would be better than buying blind on website, especially at "beginner" stage

Hi
      There are no Snooker shops nearby and this shop is a generic shop selling sports equipment at a discount.
      I am sure there are good shops but the cues they offer are around 2X the price in UK (same as with any other goods sold in Switzerland).

As such, I was soliciting some opinions on the cue assortment available at this website.
      www.discountsports.ch

Can you suggest which brand or which Cue I can ask for, when I visit the shop?
      I am an occasional player (maybe once a week, 2hours) and I want to have my own cue compared to the Snooker-centre supplied one.

Joe

Comment

Is this Ronnie O Sullivan cue ok? (I know he does not play with this one).
        http://www.discountsports.ch/ronnie-...er-p-1086.html

It is 140chf. (was 240chf).

Originally Posted by happy View Post
        Hi
        There are no Snooker shops nearby and this shop is a generic shop selling sports equipment at a discount.
        I am sure there are good shops but the cues they offer are around 2X the price in UK (same as with any other goods sold in Switzerland).

As such, I was soliciting some opinions on the cue assortment available at this website.
        www.discountsports.ch

Can you suggest which brand or which Cue I can ask for, when I visit the shop?
        I am an occasional player (maybe once a week, 2hours) and I want to have my own cue compared to the Snooker-centre supplied one.

Joe

Comment

up your budget 50% and u can get a good cue. handspliced second hand and probably one for keeps. I am sure that there are plenty of good second hand cues that would fit that budget from this forum and ebay as well.
          Last edited by sanman; 1 April 2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Yes Joe you don't need to travel, just buy online, here is what you should be looking at for a beginner, whole package £70 delivered...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LP-QUALITY...item231dba2ee5
            Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
              Yes Joe you don't need to travel, just buy online, here is what you should be looking at for a beginner, whole package £70 delivered...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LP-QUALITY...item231dba2ee5
              Wow!
              That looks like a great deal!
              LP cues. How's the reviews?

I will go to the local shop to take a look and if there is nothing there which catches my eye, I'd buy this one.

Comment

As a beginner myself I'm also looking for a starter cue and that link has caught my eye. However I am slightly weary of eBay. SouthPaw are you familiar with this cue maker?

I'm just paranoid I'd end up with a poorly finished I'll fitting cue. I only know a little about cues but 70 GBP for a hand made cue with multiple splices, mini butt, extension and a case seems a little too good to be true.

EDIT

Well upon checking the buyers rating it seems that most people receiving the cue set were happy with it.
                Last edited by iNko; 1 April 2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
                  up your budget 50% and u can get a good cue. handspliced second hand and probably one for keeps. I am sure that there are plenty of good second hand cues that would fit that budget from this forum and ebay as well.
                  Thanks, but again I must say I want to have a reasonable budget for a 1st cue.
                  If 120chf is not enough, then 200chf?
                  I have seen some sets which are 200-300chf and even 500-600chf but I am unsure I want to spend this on a new hobby.

I have found a shop which can let me try the cues before buying.
                  http://www.tablesports.ch/

Comment

Lp seem to get a good rep from friends and on here, these Chinese budget cues are of better quality than bce, riley and the likes, robin scott is another package I'd recommend which ADR on here has going from his thread. One thing you'll need to change is the tip but that goes for most budget cues...

Comment

Lp seem to get a good rep from friends and on here, these Chinese budget cues are of better quality than bce, riley and the likes, robin scott is another package I'd recommend which ADR on here has going from his thread. One thing you'll need to change is the tip but that goes for most budget cues...
                      Thanks SouthPaw.

Think I will go for it, just waiting to hear back from the seller regarding postage costs and I was interested to know how the cue was finished, if with Oil, lacquer etc. Probably a dumb question lol

Comment

Don't get me wrong inko it won't be of the same quality of uk or even thai makers, but for what it is compared to alternatives you can't go wrong...

Comment

Originally Posted by iNko View Post
                          Thanks SouthPaw.

Think I will go for it, just waiting to hear back from the seller regarding postage costs and I was interested to know how the cue was finished, if with Oil, lacquer etc. Probably a dumb question lol
                          You might be best asking the seller as I know Robin Scotts are lacquered, so chances are it may be to be honest, though easy enough to remove and apply oil.

Comment

Try http://andrewgibbscues.co.uk/shop Andrew is a nice guy, maybe you will find some thing you like.

Comment

Hi
                              I bought a cue today. The Ronnie O'Sul Signature Cue (3-pc) for 130GBP with a hard case included.

I think I may have a problem with this cue. It is about 10cm above my shoulders!
                              Is that disastrous?
                              It is 147.5cm while my shoulder top is about 140cm. I am only 168cm.
                              Hmm.
                              Last edited by happy; 1 May 2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

I have a dave coutts cue. I picked it up two weeks ago and it is far far better than the cue i previously used. I done allot of research and found good reviews about his cues. The only thing is its a years waiting time; if you want Dave to make one for you, but it is worth the wait.
                                I heard Trevor White is really good two. I think my brother is going to purchase one of his.
                                Like anything though, don't think the new cue is a magic wand. It will take time to adjust and get use to it.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                                X