Wonky weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonky weight

Iv just got hold of a cue to renovate, its a so called classic cue from a very well known mid range maker. This cue is a two piece and all ash with front splice, not sure if still made but, when playing with it it was was responsive but something wasn't right.. So I gave it the weeble test and true enough as I rolled it on a level surface it was all over the place, meaning it was not linear.. So the weight wasn't inset straight right, how common is this?

Weeble test? Roll out on a table? :S
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Weeble wobble was a gravity egg toy thing.
      No, rolled the butt half on my slab of granite and its resting to a stop at the same place.. Iv seen it on other cheaper cue makers..
      But has anyone experienced this, or does someone even play with a cue that has a thrown in weight?
      Last edited by j6uk; 22 March 2013, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Quite a lot of my old cues are like this, I'd guess at least 1 in 4 but can't say it would put me off playing with them though.. more a pain in the arse when trying to photograph the badges, I have to prop them up.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Old cue collector --
        Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
        (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Ah I get you now! Don't know if I would notice woke playing though unless it's loose...
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I found that if you don't have the heaviest point downwards you can miss anything..
            I'm sure someone else has encountered this.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              I found that if you don't have the heaviest point downwards you can miss anything..
              I'm sure someone else has encountered this.
              It's a feature to help you cue straight

Comment

It probably a slight bend or high spot on the butt near the balance point
                Andy Travis cues (Photobucket)
                Contact. <span style="color:#FF0000">trav2241...ail.com</span>
                https://www.facebook.com/andy.travis...photosLocation
                S36 1LB

Comment

It is the weight because I recognize it from other cues, which I opened up, to find the weight off set in some cases 5mm.

Originally Posted by Andy Travis View Post
                  It probably a slight bend or high spot on the butt near the balance point

Comment

So I cracked open the cue and this is what I found:
                    http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/j6uk/story/66983

It was probably only a 50 quid cue but way could they not put the weight in straight, is this done deliberately?
                    Last edited by j6uk; 25 March 2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

The question has to be asked "why did you bother" lol
                      It was obviously a cheap cue made cheaply without any care, if you don't like it, either bin it or sell it on

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                        Weeble wobble was a gravity egg toy thing.
                        No, rolled the butt half on my slab of granite and its resting to a stop at the same place.. Iv seen it on other cheaper cue makers..
                        But has anyone experienced this, or does someone even play with a cue that has a thrown in weight?
                        there was a cue made that had the weight put in the lower splice side of cue to keep the weight at the bottom.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                          there was a cue made that had the weight put in the lower splice side of cue to keep the weight at the bottom.
                          Is that the "Gravity" cue Jim, or are you thinking of something older ???

Comment

Hit 89 first shot
                            Doesn't mean great cue but its got all the moves, only when I opened up on the last long red it didn't feel right, like my elbow felt like the cue was drifting, anyway.
                            20 is cheep and I think it cost more than that new and besides The badge says they've been making cues for a hell of a long time, and they can't put the weight in right wtf..
                            Its okay though I'll tidy there mess and turn it into a sassy minx

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            The question has to be asked "why did you bother" lol
                            It was obviously a cheap cue made cheaply without any care, if you don't like it, either bin it or sell it on

Comment

If I really didn't like someone I might consider trying to sell them such a cue that didn't have the weight centered, then watch their game undevelop. See them struggle in frustration. Like the guy in the west end who offers you 10/1 on a pound if you can ride his impossible bike 10 meters, you know were the handle bars don't control the front wheel.
                              For me a cheep cue is made with low quality and less desirable materials, unseasoned lacquered wood that may move, maybe the ferrule comes off, the joint moves or even the weight to come loose over time but not to put the weight in the center of the cue! Well that's just cruel.

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X