Loose Ferrule..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Ferrule..

I'm playing a tournament today and I have a loose ferrule on my playing cue... is there any way I can fix it by my self? and Is it safe to go on playing the cue with the ferrule in such a condition.. I mean I can actually turn it around and around...

Some times when it's just starting to really go you can tighten it by hand a little but when it's turning all the way round you need a new one. I would think you're better off sending it to a cue maker to get it done as from what I hear it can be a bit fiddly trying to do it yourself. I would avoid using the cue, just through fear of giving further damage to it. :snooker:
    "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Take tip off file down a bit you might be able to take ferrul offand super glue back on,if ferrul dont come off use the runniest super glue you can find Andreu and run itdown the inside of ferrul Just touch up and replace tip

Comment

Some ferrules are threaded and some not !! The chances are that if your ferrule is threaded , you should be able to twist it off anti clock ?? If it just turns , it could be the wood is too well worn Either way and this is just personal !! I wouldnt pour super glue onto it before taking the ferrule off to see what damage there is !! Good Luck mate .

Comment

Any idea what glue most makers use on the ferrule .

Comment

Now thats a question , I have used araldite epoxy but not the rapid stuff in the past !!! I dont like it to cure too quickly in case I need to adjust the shoulder a little !! Plus it melts with heat so I can always easily take it off again if needed , But I am sure there are many many ways of doing the same job , Back in the old days we used epoxy resins to join shafts to golf clubs , the stresses involved in that instance were far greater . So I am very happy to use it for a ferrule plus I have never had a problem . Personally I dont believe there is a better way of securing them ??

Comment

so does super glue what i advised was a temp measure to get him through is match that he as coming up,i stick my ferruls on with vitalbond ca thick super glue they dont move

Comment

Hi, I have done this a couple of times as a make shift repair only,But this will only work if the ferrule is not threaded. Mask up the cue shaft to protect it and then make a small mark on the masked up area and ferrule ( i use a crayon ) so the ferrule can be put back on in the same place. Carefully remove the ferrule and then carefully scuff around the spigot and the inside of the ferrule ( only lightly ), this will give the supper glue something to bond to, add some supper glue ( i use loctite gel this gives a bit of time ) but not to much then refit the ferrule and align your small mark's, carefully tap the ferrule all the way on ( use a soft piece of wood to do this as not to damage ferrule or cue ) give it 15 mins or so to dry then a quick tidy up and re-tip, this should see you through the day then to a cue doctor tomorrow. This has worked for me and a couple of my friends. GET EVERYTHING READY BEFORE YOU START. Good luck...

Comment

Better with epoxy for ferrules, I have always used Devcon without any problems. If you cant remove the old ferrule gently heat it to help break the glue and then twist it off.

Comment

As your ferrule turns by hand it probably means it's not threaded or else the wood has deteriorated to a point where the ferrule is very loose.

As a temporary fix I would remove the tip and ferrule and then using epoxy for metal and wood lightly coat the tenon and place the ferrule back on (do the mark with crayon or light pencil and align). Allow 30 minutes for the epoxy to harden and then re-tip the cue.

When you have some time, remove the tip and heat the ferrule a bit to loosen the epoxy and remove the ferrule. Clean up the tenon and see if you can find a threaded ferrule which takes a smaller tenon than you have on the cue presently. Carefully file down the tenon using a fine file and turning the cue with every stroke until the threads in the ferrule will bit. Coat the tenon with epoxy and then carefully screw the ferrule back on with a wrench until it snugs up tightly, then re-tip.

Best bet though would be to take it to a cue repair guy with a good rep.

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

ok - this is a good tip and i do it myself! cut tip off and wiggle ferrule gently till you find exactly where it should sit lift ferrule apply a little superglue gel direct from the fridge so very runny then hold ferrule back in exactly correct position - total fix time 30 seconds.
                      Last edited by ADR147; 7 April 2013, 03:22 PM.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                        ok - this is a good tip and i do it myself! cut tip off and wiggle ferrule gently till you find exactly where it should sit lift ferrule apply a little superglue gel direct from the fright so very runny then hold ferrule back in exactly correct position - total fix time 30 seconds.
                        = fridge

Yep I have used this tip since reading about it
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          = fridge

Yep I have used this tip since reading about it
                          i really need to pay more attention, but then i waste too much time telling you people these things!
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                            ok - this is a good tip and i do it myself! cut tip off and wiggle ferrule gently till you find exactly where it should sit lift ferrule apply a little superglue gel direct from the fridge so very runny then hold ferrule back in exactly correct position - total fix time 30 seconds.
                            Certainly sounds a good tip, I'll give it a go if my ferrules come loose again :snooker:
                            "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

cheers ADR - pray continue wasting your time
                              I actually have used the fridge-tip on other problems that were nothing to do with cues of any kind
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X