Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Baize Cue Shop

A shout out to Stu at Green Baize:

I finally decided to buy a new cue since i broke my last one by over tightening it and cracking the butt. I went to Green Baize on Saturday and saw Stu Green there. All I can say is that Stu is a great bloke and his cues are cracking.
    I was there a while as i couldn't decide between 2 cues, a maximus and a GBL. I finally chose the GBL as I preferred it anyway and also the maximus had a lacquer on that i didn't like - tho Stu said he could get it off for me quite easily. He's not ordering any more with the lacquer on i don't think.

Stu has loads of cues and the maximus and GBL ones look really nice. there was an ultimate there but i didn't have a go with it cos i knew i couldn't quite afford it.

Stu gave me a great deal on the GBL and didn't try to oversell me stuff, which he could easily have done as i was there to spend some money, instead he gave me some great advice.

All in all, if you need a cue and can get to GBL (was a 2 hr drive each way for me !) then make the trip - i can't recommend it enough.

Really really happy with my new cue, which i thought might be difficult as i had my last one about 23 years !
    i'm at work at the moment so no pics just yet, but will post up some pictures when i get a chance.

hope this info is helpful to some of you guys,

Andy.

"broke my last one by over tightening it".. are you He-Man or something? joking aside GBL cues are lovely cues and are great value for money, wont find better for the price! All the best with your new cue mate :snooker:

Comment

shame he's so far up the country as I'd love to visit and see his set up and the cues he has on offer. Just can't justify travelling that far to buy a cue living in the south of england. Thought the journey to Craftsman and Parris in the past was bad enough but this is probably a over 300 mile round journey for me!
      If only he had a website listing all his cues with spec similar to craftsman do with some of their cue range. I heard he was working on a new site but that was a few months back, just hope its a bit more user friendly.
      Last edited by cueman; 8 April 2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
        shame he's so far up the country as I'd love to visit and see his set up and the cues he has on offer. Just can't justify travelling that far to buy a cue living in the south of england. Thought the journey to Craftsman and Parris in the past was bad enough but this is probably a near 300 mile journey just one way for me!
        If only he had a website listing all his cues with spec similar to craftsman do with some of their cue range. I heard he was working on a new site but that was a few months back, just hope its a bit more user friendly.
        he lists cues and has pics on his website under shop forum, he has just had a delivery in from master cue and they make his gbl range i think, i ordered a cue from him and was really pleased with his service and attitude, top bloke more interested in helping you than making a quick buck
        Craftsman custom made cue
        57 inches
        17 ounces
        9 mil Wooldridge original supertip
        ash shaft plain ebony butt

Comment

shame he's so far up the country as I'd love to visit and see his set up and the cues he has on offer. Just can't justify travelling that far to buy a cue living in the south of england. Thought the journey to Craftsman and Parris in the past was bad enough but this is probably a over 300 mile round journey for me!
          Same problem for me the distance is too far. His current website is appalling but I hear he is working on a new one so hopefully it will be easier to view a cue and place an order.
          "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Actually as far as viewing the cue close up and the grain on the shaft the site is pretty good , you can get a nice close up view of the cues .

Comment

I play pool at stu's place every week, you wont meet a nicer or more helpful person, always happy to help no matter how big or small an order he will always give you his full attention, saw the maximus cues when they arrived the ultimate was brilliant, loved the pale moon ebony on one of the cues, cold stop in his shop for hours lol
              Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by jack_dougles View Post
                he lists cues and has pics on his website under shop forum, he has just had a delivery in from master cue and they make his gbl range i think, i ordered a cue from him and was really pleased with his service and attitude, top bloke more interested in helping you than making a quick buck
                It's definitely not Mastercue that make his range...

Yeah anything I've got of him has been top quality including my current playing cue, his service is excellent as well, it's no wonder he's doing well i hear nothing but good things on here.
                Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

I know he lists some of the cues but that is just the point, they tend to be all on the heavy side and full length, its a shame he doesn't vary the sizes as most cues are all 58" length and weigh about 18.5 ozs. Its not a great selection to be fair and I'm sure he probably does have other sizes but doesn't list them all on his site. I guess for people that can travel its the perfect set up but for those looking from what he lists on his site there isn't a great deal of choice for me unfortunately.

Comment

I'm a bit mystified by Cueman and Maverick's comments about the website. I don't think any other retailers go to the same trouble to provide images like Stu does. Just go to the shop forum, wait for images to load and you get very good pics of cues and in most cases detailed specs.
                    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Its just the site isn't user friendly, he doesn't update all that often, in fact sometimes its months before he updates and most of the cues listed have been sold etc. Also whilst the pics are great I'd much prefer it to list the design of the cue with a good range of different specs. Its no good having a look at nice shafts if the spec isn't to your needs. The look of the shaft I always say is a bonus, its the spec that is the most important part. I like a 57.25" cue, ideally 9.5 tip around 17.5-18ozs. Most of the cues are all 58", many around the 18.5-19ozs mark and for me that is too heavy and I don't like to have cues altered before I've even bought it. All I'd suggest is a greater range of specs, 58" cues for many is too long and the balance doesn't feel right if you are cueing 3-4 inches up the butt in and around the black end of the table.

Comment

Its just the site isn't user friendly, he doesn't update all that often, in fact sometimes its months before he updates and most of the cues listed have been sold etc. Also whilst the pics are great I'd much prefer it to list the design of the cue with a good range of different specs. Its no good having a look at nice shafts if the spec isn't to your needs. The look of the shaft I always say is a bonus, its the spec that is the most important part. I like a 57.25" cue, ideally 9.5 tip around 17.5-18ozs. Most of the cues are all 58", many around the 18.5-19ozs mark and for me that is too heavy and I don't like to have cues altered before I've even bought it. All I'd suggest is a greater range of specs, 58" cues for many is too long and the balance doesn't feel right if you are cueing 3-4 inches up the butt in and around the black end of the table.

To be fair the online forum isn't the best, I'd say he does most his selling in shop as that's what his place is all about, i needed an out of average spec cue and he wasted a lot of time on me sending pictures and specs on what he had, you only have to e-mail him if you want to know what is in stock, but i do agree he could update the shop forum more regularly with a few unusual specs for short asses and monkey arm bandits...
                        Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Well I have only heard good things about Stu at green baize on this website which is the main reason I'm going to visit his shop when back in the UK. Although not looking forward to the 6 hours round trip but reckon it will be worth it to come away with a cue I've been able to try out.

I don't have a massive budget therefore emailed Stu about my requirements and he very promptly emailed back explaining that he had cues in my range. Although knowing myself I'd bet I'll be walking out of his shop with a GBL in hand.
                          Last edited by iNko; 8 April 2013, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                            It's definitely not Mastercue that make his range...

Yeah anything I've got of him has been top quality including my current playing cue, his service is excellent as well, it's no wonder he's doing well i hear nothing but good things on here.
                            i stand corrected as i said i think they do, but wasnt sure
                            57 inches
                            17 ounces

Comment

I know he lists some of the cues but that is just the point, they tend to be all on the heavy side and full length, its a shame he doesn't vary the sizes as most cues are all 58" length and weigh about 18.5 ozs. Its not a great selection to be fair and I'm sure he probably does have other sizes but doesn't list them all on his site. I guess for people that can travel its the perfect set up but for those looking from what he lists on his site there isn't a great deal of choice for me unfortunately.
                              seems to be the same with all cue makers that they have trouble with lighter cues, have tried to custom order and apart from craftsman all seem to say they cant get a but jointed cue at 17 ounces, when i had a robert osborne he had a trick of hollowing out but to keep weight down, must be a modern thing the blunderbus cue lol
                              57 inches
                              17 ounces

Comment

Working...
                              X