No announcement yet.

The negatives to jointing a cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could also go to stamford who do a joint designed for what you are thinking of doing, its mainly wood to wood with a brass pin and brass ring but the contact is mainly wood to wood

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
      Personally speaking if the idea of jointing a cue gives you concern ,

It doesn't really give me a concern, Its just I've noticed a lot of people mentioning its not a good thing to have done. I've played with both 3/4 and 1 piece cues and personally don't feel much of a difference between the 2. Just I've not went from a cue that was 1 piece to being jointed so I've had experience of it playing as a 1 piece, could feel different to me jointed, but then again it might not. Didn't seem to affect Steve Davis in any case

More of a convenience thing than anything else, even with a car the case has a tendency to be an annoyance flopping around when going around a corner and just getting it in and out, whereas a 3/4 sits nicely in the back seat.

Comment

Originally Posted by marriott View Post
        Does anyone know why? Why is a one piece that is then converted to a center jointed 2pc not as popular as the 3/4 joint? Would love to know why! Thanks
        I prefer 3/4 so the joint doesn't make contact with my chin, I'd say majority of players would be of the same opinion especially if they have stubble , another reason could be the feel of the joint so near the shaft, as many believe it's all in the shaft I'm sure having the joint in the butt helps with the feel on shots...
        Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
          I prefer 3/4 so the joint doesn't make contact with my chin, I'd say majority of players would be of the same opinion especially if they have stubble , another reason could be the feel of the joint so near the shaft, as many believe it's all in the shaft I'm sure having the joint in the butt helps with the feel on shots...
          The 3/4 cue I had the joint was slightly in front of my chin as it had a MAHOOSIVE butt, around 27" overall with the joint at 21. Never had any issues with the joint catching on stubble though. Was a bit too long overall though, I prefer the ebony to be on my chin as its a bit smoother feeling than the ash.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
            The 3/4 cue I had the joint was slightly in front of my chin as it had a MAHOOSIVE butt, around 27" overall with the joint at 21. Never had any issues with the joint catching on stubble though. Was a bit too long overall though, I prefer the ebony to be on my chin as its a bit smoother feeling than the ash.
            I have teenage memories of my center jointed powerglide midas touch pulling out my stubble :sorrow: lol, the straight grain also used to nip them from memory, maybe as it was a cheap cue/joint those issues affected me more..? Though it's put me off center piece cues...
            Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
              I can remember the days when I used to get my chin on the cue, belly stops me getting that low these days. Cocked a leg up on the table last week whilst on a good break forgetting I'm getting on a bit now and nearly did myself a bloody injury. Definately 2 extra red balls on the table that night. Had to ask the lads help get me off the bloody table.
              "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                they say that 1/2 joint became unpopular because the player could see the joint when down on the shot - not that I ever did with my old 1/2 cue, I was concentrating on the object ball
                Before you make your decision, have a chat with Stu Green at GBL, he has some "compact" 3/4 leather/leatherette cases, they are slightly shorter than a "standard" 3/4 case, ask him what length of shaft they fit and see if this 3/4 position would work on your cue.
                I have a custom leather case from snooker warrior to fit my JP Special 3/4 and it is not that much longer than a off-the-shelf 1/2 case and much shorter than a off-the-shelf 3/4.
                I dont know who does a compact ali case but there is a maker in New Zealand (I believe) that makes custom ali cases - never found any details though
                There is a mention of this maker on the "pictures of case" thread sometime back.
                cheers
                Thanks a lot for the info, much appreciated. those cases at GBL look good, definitely something to consider.

Comment

Working...
                X