100% Beeswax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% Beeswax

Anyone used 100% beeswax on a newly sanded cue butt and whats the finnish like? Just wodering if it goes sticky after a bit of use.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

I tried it a few months back when I was experimenting with finishes. I applied a small amount, enough to seal it, left it to cure and buffed for about a week on and off. Outcome - i wouldn't recommend it, went tacky after about 10 min of use.

Comment

Maverick:

Use French Polish which is the stuff they use on grand pianos and high-end furniture. To get a really smooth and shiny finish you'll need about 10 coats but it dries out fast and is easy to polish (A grand piano may have 100 coats or more).

If you don't want a high-gloss finish you can put on 2-3 coats and buff in between and it will be more natural but still smooth.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks Terry. I'll give it a go.
        "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

In my personal experience of french polish, it's quite difficult (imo) to get right, set procedure/steps etc. Also I find the finish not to be that hard wearing unless you use a lot of coats, which makes it look very glossy.

Comment

Anyone tried the craftsman wax they sell on ebay then, or any better suggestions?

Comment

Personally I seal the butt with sanding sealer then cut back with 0000 wire wool making sure I've got the butt as smooth as possible the finish with a beeswax polish, a blend of beeswax, linseed oil and turpentine. A few coats of that buffing. Between coats works well for me. Not recommended for the shaft though, butt only.

Comment

Working...
              X