Andy Travis vs Jason Owen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Travis vs Jason Owen

Having been on here over a year, i see that these two cue makers are producing very well made cues, from feedback and pictures it looks hard to split them, if i was to choose one to make me a cue i think I'd find it hard hence this thread...

Who of Andy or Jason would you choose if ordering a custom and why?

Thanks
    Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

This could be a Harry Hill sketch..........no way to decide ................FIGHT

Must admit they do both produce stunning looking cues .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Never had either or seen either in the flesh but to go by pictures then I'd have to edge slightly in favour of Jason because I think he has shown himself to be very good in selecting good quality materials and I like the finish of his cues. Obviously though its a subjective thing and I'm in no way saying Andy isn't a good cue maker but I'm just going by pictures alone. One day I might just have a cue made from both but right now I'm trying to resist buying any more cues having bought 5 last year.

Comment

Yes cueman I'm in the same boat with only pictures and feedback to go on, do you know how long Andy has been making cues? I think i read Jason's been doing it since 2011.

Neil: You could be right it seems the only logical way

Comment

Very unfair question considering both are popular active members on here. I would be proud to own a cue made by either of these lads who both turn out some excellent examples judging by the photos ive seen. Need to get off this fence now as i'm getting splinters in my bloody arse
          "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

I don't think i could have worded it in a fair way but i agree with you and that's why i would find it hard if they were the only two to choose from...

Be interested to hear any members who custom ordered or have an order pending with either and why/how they chose their maker..?

Comment

would there not be a noticeable price difference?
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                would there not be a noticeable price difference?
                Yes! Andy is a fair bit cheaper.

Comment

Your budget would be the biggest difference. Andy is a fair bit cheaper than Jason, but the Jason is a fair bit cheaper than Parris lol. I've played with a pool spec Travis cue that my mate owned untill the tit lost his temper and snapped it, (bad tempered sod lol) it was a plain ebony butt, ash shaft 3/4 with a black joint, thin butt and 8.5mm tip, lovely playing cue, i believe it was one of his earlier cues, which explains why the splices weren't level at the bottom and the ebony was quite streaky, something I prefer as I like wood to look like wood! I haven't seen Jasons work in the flesh but it does look great in the pics I've seen, so does Andys work in his pics. Andy has made a lot more 3/4 cues so it would depend on if you wanted a 1 piece or 3/4 cue, don't think Jason is doing 3/4 cues much or even at all. End of the day I think the difference will be negligible between them both. Both are quality cue makers

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                    Yes! Andy is a fair bit cheaper.
                    I thought there was little in it, how much cheaper for talks sake plain ebony ash 3/4? £30 plus..?

Edit: Sorry Dave posted that before I noticed your reply, I guess it isn't going to be comparable, how long has Andy been making cues?
                    Last edited by SouthPaw; 28 June 2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I currently have an order placed with Jason. I did look at Andy's cues at the time however I preferred the more natural finish that Jason's cues seem to have. I also like the uniqueness of the cues with their individual numbers and his story on his blog. Not taking anything away from Andy's cues I've never seen one in the flesh but from pictures they seem well made just a personal preference between the two, costs aside.

Comment

I also currently have an order placed with Jason. I was swayed by the positive comments from members who have his cues. Communication with him(by email only) proved to be good. I like the fact that he numbers his cues. What really convinced me were his cue pics, the materials and craftsmanship oozed quality. I feel very confident that I will receive a great looking cue that plays even better.

There are so many competent cue makers nowadays, old ones(experience-wise) and new ones. It can be very hard to choose one over the other. In the end it comes down to waiting time, cost, other members recommendations, reputations, resale value, future collector value and of course your gut feeling.

Just want to add- I'm after a 1 pc. cue and that's exactly what Jason makes.
                        Last edited by Wayne G; 28 June 2013, 11:13 PM. Reason: More info
                        The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Cheers Rogi and Wayne, the insight I was looking for. Very tempted to order another cue to the collection hence the thread, though I won't rush into anything, well I hope my weak will power won't make me...lol

Comment

I have had a cue made by andy and i supplied the shaft off a donor cue,old english ash as i dont like the american ash.the result was superb as was the cue made for me by another member here jim evans,also english ash another superb cue.both andy and jim can source english ash for cues and the results playing wise are second to none,distance from the cue maker regards visits is very handy as face to face allows you to see the ash available, but having said that cost wise parris would be my last choice.parris owners please form an orderly cue,no pun intended.

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                              I have had a cue made by andy and i supplied the shaft off a donor cue,old english ash as i dont like the american ash.the result was superb as was the cue made for me by another member here jim evans,also english ash another superb cue.both andy and jim can source english ash for cues and the results playing wise are second to none,distance from the cue maker regards visits is very handy as face to face allows you to see the ash available, but having said that cost wise parris would be my last choice.parris owners please form an orderly cue,no pun intended.
                              Jim's work is certainly on the up, regarding how English ash compares to American, just how different do you feel it plays or is it the aesthetics you prefer?

Comment

Working...
                              X