Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    do you believe in coincidences?
    The guy could have been in the woodwork of the forum somewhere, saw the other thread, saw how much it's worth and wanted to see what he's got and what it's worth. :snooker:
    "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Listen guys, the cue is the same one. It's my father who has it and we are both fishing for info from experts hopefully. It's absolutely not for sale but we need to insure it. So thanks for interst but no silly offers. It's a true price for insurance. The cue has come back to its home after all these years. It's a family thing. Hopefully dad will post pictures (he's a keen photographer and will want to do it right) when I saw it on Skype it really is a unique and beautiful thing

Comment

you said in this post badge was brass but in pics of other post prob ivory or bakerlite or whatever they used

Comment

Hi everyone. I am probably mistaken about the badge plate as I only saw it on Skype as I live out of the UK. I assumed it was brass as that's what I would have used if I made it but not necessarily the case here.
          My father (darth something) has the cue and is the best one to talk to. Many thanks for all your interest. It is in a good home of carefully researched antiques. And it is bringing cathartic changes to the memories of a difficult childhood to a great billiards and snooker player. My grandad was friends with Joe Davis and far from wealthy so it must have been hugely important to him.

Comment

well if it is genuine it is worth £800-£1200 at auction and around £2000 for insurance.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              Well you seem to already know the history of the wood, the 1st edition Ye cues were indeed used from salvaged wood from a ship, and are distinctive by the reddish colour, caused by the saltwater reacting with the ash. These cues are very very rare, and are worth a lot of money. The brass plate is intriguing tho !!!!
              from the shipyard not the ship!

Comment

from the shipyard not the ship!
                Ahh thought it was from a ship, so never been to sea then

Comment

Ok, thanks.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    Ahh thought it was from a ship, so never been to sea then
                    no - was a supply of ash they bought when 50 years old already from the dockyard in newcastle - they continued to use the name long after the ash had run out hence the stories of first editions etc.

Comment

Originally Posted by Markkiran View Post
                      Hi everyone. I am probably mistaken about the badge plate as I only saw it on Skype as I live out of the UK. I assumed it was brass as that's what I would have used if I made it but not necessarily the case here.
                      My father (darth something) has the cue and is the best one to talk to. Many thanks for all your interest. It is in a good home of carefully researched antiques. And it is bringing cathartic changes to the memories of a difficult childhood to a great billiards and snooker player. My grandad was friends with Joe Davis and far from wealthy so it must have been hugely important to him.
                      What was the name of your grandfather?

Comment

no - was a supply of ash they bought when 50 years old already from the dockyard in newcastle - they continued to use the name long after the ash had run out hence the stories of first editions etc.
                        Burroughes & Watts were advertising it as coming from "old seasoned ash from HM Ships" which was 50 years old. Perhaps it came as salvage from a breakers yard. I can't find the full story behind the first bach of wood, so if you have any more info I would be grateful.

Comment

Alf Davidson, lived in West Cornforth County Durham. He would cycle over 20 miles to watch joe Davis play (then same back)
                          Not sure of Alf's highest break but often got over 50.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
                            Burroughes & Watts were advertising it as coming from "old seasoned ash from HM Ships" which was 50 years old. Perhaps it came as salvage from a breakers yard. I can't find the full story behind the first bach of wood, so if you have any more info I would be grateful.
                            I was told it was from the dock yards in newcastle (HM royal naval dockyard) and it was originally to be used to build part of the ships but after the introduction of steel it became redundant and nobody bothered to get rid of it for 50 years.

Comment

Originally Posted by Markkiran View Post
                              Alf Davidson, lived in West Cornforth County Durham. He would cycle over 20 miles to watch joe Davis play (then same back)
                              Not sure of Alf's highest break but often got over 50.
                              West Cornforth isn't very far from me. It's one of the many small villages which existed around the Durham pit-heads for the accommodation of coal miners. There was a very strong billiard playing tradition in the area, and lots of good players who didn't appear on the national scene, probably due mainly to the nature of their work.

I am assuming that Alf was a miner, as there wasn't much of a career choice in West Cornforth, but unfortunately he doesn't appear on my radar. There was a David Davidson (Newcastle) who was a contemporary of Alf Nolan and a well respected player in the 1950's and 60's, although this was a generation after Alf. I don't suppose he was a relation?

Comment

Working...
                              X