No announcement yet.

Re-glue Joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes ferrules on and I'm feeling more confident now Iv managed to get shaft joint end flush and straight and ready for the joint cap..
    I get problems with dug-out. What do you think of oiling the cue before tapering to prevent plane digging?

Comment

no dry wood for planeing

Comment

So a thicker blade and sharp sharp

Comment

invest in a small 4 1/2 -5 ins plane worth its weight in gold to you

Comment

I have a draper no4 smoothing plane which I leveled and moved the frog forwards to close the mouth. Still get tearout even with a razor sharp standard blade. So iv now ordered a 3mm thick blade.

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post

Comment

Sorry to butt in, so would you recommend a low angle block plane or a small smoothing plane with high frog angle for this type of work?

Comment

low angle block plane,if you need any less wood taking off sanding or scraping will do

Comment

low angle block plane,if you need any less wood taking off sanding or scraping will do
                  Ended up passing Axminster today and bought myself a little present from LN. Damn they're good

Comment

All done and straight. Thinking now of what to use to blend the whiter shaft in with the yellowy ash on the butt.
                    Will also need to line up the grains on the joint, was thinking of turning the shaft on the drill and use a razor blade to take some of the brass off the joint, not sure though..
                    1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Comment

Looks pretty good that. I think it might be easier to just refinish it all, so it would be a uniform colour rather than matching.

Comment

Thanks,
                        The shaft is so much whiter and I think I may need a stain to get it to a close match.
                        I don't know how to refinish to get the uniform color.

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                        Looks pretty good that. I think it might be easier to just refinish it all, so it would be a uniform colour rather than matching.
                        Last edited by j6uk; 2 July 2013, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                          Thanks,
                          The shaft is so much whiter and I think I may need a stain to get it to a close match.
                          I don't know how to refinish to get the uniform color.
                          It's still a little trial and error. The way I would do it, is to strip the ash on the butt of its finish likewise anything still on the shaft. Make sure the grain has been filled. I would start with plain linseed oil first and see how the close the colour match is after. If it's the same then just carry on. If not then experiment with either darker oil mixtures or by applying more coats on the lighter part to build up the colour over time.

Comment

Have you done this many times before, matching lighter and darker ash?

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                            It's still a little trial and error. The way I would do it, is to strip the ash on the butt of its finish likewise anything still on the shaft. Make sure the grain has been filled. I would start with plain linseed oil first and see how the close the colour match is after. If it's the same then just carry on. If not then experiment with either darker oil mixtures or by applying more coats on the lighter part to build up the colour over time.

Comment

I've had a similar situation where a friend of mine had damaged the butt of his cue at the joint by tripping over it. He found a replacement butt and I refinished it. I used linseed on the butt and MW cue oil on the shaft as I find it darkens a little with this. Luckily it went quite smoothly. Others that have more experience than me may offer an alternative method

Comment

Thanks for that.
                                Because its so much lighter on the shaft I'm starting to think the only way to go is a dye of some sort.

Comment

Working...
                                X