looking for a decent cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by crankie View Post
    As I am wanting a cue for life I'm a little fussy, I have been booking around for a good few months now, but standard cues are a little to short for me, seems like 58" is as far as cue length goes as standard ?
    Anyone else found these problems ?
    Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    I think you are asking for the impossible here. You will not get a cue that length and keep it forward balanced and stiff. Its just not possible unless the cue is very light, possibly around 16.5oz max. Then the problem is finding a shaft which is stiff enough to play with at that length. There is a reason cues are made at average length of 57-58", not only is it a size which suits most players but its also the optimum size for the shaft to produce the right feel and stiffness for the shot.

Sure a cuemaker can find whippier or stiffer shafts at that length but the simple fact is that once you go over 58" that extra length means the cue will feel more elastic. Conversely a shorter cue say 56" or less will be stiffer on average. Not to say you can't find the right piece of ash or maple for a cue at 60" or 56" but its a lengthy process going through a ton of ash to find the right piece.
    Just been on the John parris website and all his cues have a length option of up to 63" !

Now I've quickly gathered mixed feelings about this guy but I'm sure he is no idiot, so I'm guessing I'm not the only guy
    With monkey arms ?

Comment

Just been on the John parris website and all his cues have a length option of up to 63" !

Now I've quickly gathered mixed feelings about this guy but I'm sure he is no idiot, so I'm guessing I'm not the only guy
      With monkey arms ?
      Post a picture of your arms by your side, then out by your sides, so we can gague whether you have abnormal arms for your height...=p

There are 6ft 5 plus players that probably need 63 inch cue for comfort, below 6ft I wouldn't have thought so unless your arms dangle to your knees...
      Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Hi Crankie,

I was looking around the forums awhile ago for a non standard length cue and got nowhere. I did my own research elsewhere and contacted a few guys I know in various connected trades and came up with a list of people that make their own cues and can do custom work. As far as I'm concerned anyone else wouldn't be able to do the work for a non-standard piece, most of them buying in cues from Thailand and just add lower splices, etc.

You should try:

John Parris
        Trevor White
        Dave Coutts
        Stamford Cues
        Robin Cook
        Craftsman Cues
        Tony Glove
        Crispian Jones
        Jim Evans

They are the only cue makers that I have been confirmed fully make their cues and are capable of fully making a non-standard length. I'm sure other people will complain about some names that I have excluded but that's up to them. If anyone not listed above can make what you want then fair play, stick them on the list, but as I was given the runaround before I decided not to risk wasting my time and money, after that it just escalated into a bit of curiousity into who was making their cues and who wasn't.

There are other thread regarding handmade, who makes what vs who buys in, etc but to be honest they just go around in circles, people arguing semantics, scratching each other's backs, etc
        Last edited by SteveDay; 10 July 2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

QUOTE=SouthPaw;720124]Post a picture of your arms by your side, then out by your sides, so we can gague whether you have abnormal arms for your height...=p

There are 6ft 5 plus players that probably need 63 inch cue for comfort, below 6ft I wouldn't have thought so unless your arms dangle to your knees...[/QUOTE]

I've decided to just extend my cue a little and have more weight added now....

I'm guessing by reactions from the more experienced players (yes you lot) that a few extra inches is a big difference'
          So I am having my cue extended to 60" I would rather add this and have the option of taking a little off if needed.
          It is costing me a fair price and with the additional splices that will be added I wouldn't want to mess things up again at a later
          Date adding extra again !

Easier to cut down than lengthen I'm sure.....

Comment

Hi there, i have got 60" TW, if you interested PM me, for pic's & price.
            If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it – then I can achieve it.

Comment

QUOTE=Powerbus786;720134]Hi there, i have got 60" TW, if you interested PM me, for pic's & price.[/QUOTE]

I've wrapped up my cue ready to post off Monday morning to Crispian Jones and payed for the work involved.

My suggestion to you mate would be put it up for sale in a 60" cue thread, should be worth a fortune ha ha !

Comment

Originally Posted by SteveDay View Post
                Hi Crankie,

I was looking around the forums awhile ago for a non standard length cue and got nowhere. I did my own research elsewhere and contacted a few guys I know in various connected trades and came up with a list of people that make their own cues and can do custom work. As far as I'm concerned anyone else wouldn't be able to do the work for a non-standard piece, most of them buying in cues from Thailand and just add lower splices, etc.

You should try:

John Parris
                Trevor White
                Dave Coutts
                Stamford Cues
                Robin Cook
                Craftsman Cues
                Tony Glove
                Crispian Jones
                Jim Evans

They are the only cue makers that I have been confirmed fully make their cues and are capable of fully making a non-standard length. I'm sure other people will complain about some names that I have excluded but that's up to them. If anyone not listed above can make what you want then fair play, stick them on the list, but as I was given the runaround before I decided not to risk wasting my time and money, after that it just escalated into a bit of curiousity into who was making their cues and who wasn't.

There are other thread regarding handmade, who makes what vs who buys in, etc but to be honest they just go around in circles, people arguing semantics, scratching each other's backs, etc

Interesting points mate, but can't the idiots order 60" cues ?

Comment

What about b&w billiards cues and green baize ? Are these handmade cues or Thai imported cues ?

Comment

GBL are ordered Thai cues to Stu Green's specs. You can call him about an extra long cue. They have very good reviews.
                    B&W not sure if they are UK-made or from elsewhere. Also note that they are nothing to do with Burroughes & Watt company as in the old cues and tables. Not heard much reviews.
                    Last edited by DeanH; 11 July 2013, 02:14 PM.
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Guess my point is that Stuart can order a longer Thai cue if needed ? But it seems that others can't ?
                      I can't get my head round this.....
                      OK so a guy just short of 6 ft should get used to a 58" cue? Right ? Anyone over 6 ft should be banned from playing ?

Funny game this snooker is !

Comment

Guess my point is that Stuart can order a longer Thai cue if needed ?
                        you will have to ask Stu

But it seems that others can't ?
                        I am sure many can, just that they don't want to.

Anyone over 6 ft should be banned from playing ?
                        silly statement
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Crankie. It's not difficult to get your head round this if you think about it. Cue-makers in theory can make cues any length they want its just that there's an "optimum" length which is regarded as ideal. If you think about trying to play with a cue 8 foot long! Would be difficult as you'd have too much cue past your bridge. Similarly if you had a cue 3 foot long you wouldn't be able to cue properly. So the length is dictated by where you hold the butt and how much cue you have past the bridge. Length of arms as mentioned already comes into it. 57/58 inch cues suit most folk although there will be exceptions of course.

Comment

Silly statement for sure, almost as silly as suggesting a cue can not be made 60" long

Comment

I provided you with a pretty comprehensive list of hand made cue makers / manufacturing companys adding to the names already mentioned.

How about you forget about whether people recommend you purchase and use a 60 inch cue or not for a moment

How many cue makers have you directly asked to make you a 60 inch cue?

How many of them have directly said no?

Comment

You should try ringing Stu at Greenbaize, he sometimes orders in extra length cues, and if he hasn't he will get one in when next batch comes, i doubt you really need a 60" cue tho, that's massive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X