Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am in no way interested in exposing anyone for this practice, as yes it is a business and everyone should realisticly be able to maximize there profits in whatever way they choose, but my main point is that with matirials becoming harder and harder to sorce on a monthly basis surely it is in ever cuemakers interest here in the uk to try and stop any more wanaby thai splicers ?
    i truly believe we are at a point that is balanced enough were waiting times are bearable and cheeper quick alternatives are also available !

Comment

Originally Posted by paddybhoy30 View Post
      I'm guessing that to admit it some would feel there reputations may be tarnished and there cues less sought after or valuable.
      I think "reputations shot to pieces" is perhaps more like it.

Comment

Originally Posted by crispian jones View Post
        i am in no way interested in exposing anyone for this practice, as yes it is a business and everyone should realisticly be able to maximize there profits in whatever way they choose, but my main point is that with matirials becoming harder and harder to sorce on a monthly basis surely it is in ever cuemakers interest here in the uk to try and stop any more wanaby thai splicers ?
        i truly believe we are at a point that is balanced enough were waiting times are bearable and cheeper quick alternatives are also available !

I think all of this is wishful thinking. If there is an avenue to be exploited, then some will always be prepared to exploit it.

Speaking personally, I'd like nothing more than to see everything opened up and exposed for how it is. As I have already stated elsewhere, the practise of importing cues from overseas and then passing the product off as being made right here in the UK stinks.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
          I'd wager a fair old chunk of cash that the majority of splicing is done OUTSIDE the UK.

After all, you take a raw cue shaft, and then splice some other timber onto it, and hey presto, there's your cue (more or less)

There really isn't that much more that goes into it in truth, and so with th at in mind, these cues CANNOT be judged as being UK made at all.... which means......

Predominantly made abroad, UK finished and sold with that info provided = Fair practise.

Predominantly made abroad, UK finished and sold as UK made and finished = Fraud

That's how I see it anyway.
          I think this is How Most people veiw It if they hold there Hand up

Comment

If people have evidence that there are people defrauding customers, by either stating or implying their cues were made in the uk, then they should be outed. If I found out, I had spent my hard earned on a cue that was not what is was marketed to be, I would take action.

The cue's quality may perfectly good, however to sell by deception is an offence and should be pursued as such.

Comment

Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post

The cue's quality may perfectly good, however to sell by deception is an offence and should be pursued as such.
              I agree with this.

Comment

Is it all really much different to most products bought these days? Many are bought from top brand manufacturers but are made in China and just re-branded. Until they start rectifying these major manufacturers then there is little hope of changing practices of a handful of cue makers. At least Crispian is being honest about his products and where things originate from, pity some of the others can't.

Comment

Originally Posted by biggus stickus View Post
                  Is it all really much different to most products bought these days? Many are bought from top brand manufacturers but are made in China and just re-branded. Until they start rectifying these major manufacturers then there is little hope of changing practices of a handful of cue makers. At least Crispian is being honest about his products and where things originate from, pity some of the others can't.
                  Goods being manufactured by a company and then being branded is not the issue. Apple for example do this, they have Chinese third party manufacturers who make their products. However the intellectual property belongs to Apple and the product is clearly depicted as being made in China.

If any cue maker sells their product as handmade in the UK, then that is what it should be.
                  Last edited by mrbluejay; 21 July 2013, 11:05 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
                    Goods being manufactured by a company and then being branded is not the issue. Apple for example do this, they have Chinese third party manufacturers who make their products. However the intellectual property belongs to Apple and the product is clearly depicted as being made in China.

If any cue maker sells their product as handmade in the UK, then that is what it should be.
                    Is it?????????

There are huge amounts of furniture ie beds tables, chairs etc, shoes, clothes thats are not clearly marked.

The cues are not marked "Hand made in the UK" the badge usually says "hand made", so this could refer to Thailand or UK. I think Crispian is doing the right thing in being open about what his product is.
                    Last edited by biggus stickus; 21 July 2013, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Is it?????????

There are huge amounts of furniture ie beds tables, chairs etc, shoes, clothes thats are not clearly marked.

The cues are not marked "Hand made in the UK" the badge usually says "hand made", so this could refer to Thailand or UK. I think Crispian is doing the right thing in being open about what his product is.
                      Forget Crispian, we are talking more broadly here and in any case he is being extremely open, which is what we all want. Furniture retailers, which is my area, normally state where products are manufactured or this information will be given if requested - including kitchen appliances.

Fashion items always state country of origin on their labels.

If there are cuemakers who imply they make their products from raw form product, then by implication it is reasonable their products should be made in the country where that cuemaker resides. If they are finishing Thai cues and implying they are uk (we are mostly talking uk I presume) made, this is selling by deception.

By the way, here is Apples freely available manufacturer list http://www.apple.com/supplierrespons...suppliers.html

Comment

Who the hell is talking about Apple????????? Everyone should know by now they are Chinese made....

This thread was started by Crispian about his products so why would I forget that?!!!!!!

Comment

Who the hell is talking about Apple????????? Everyone should know by now they are Chinese made....

This thread was started by Crispian about his products so why would I forget that?!!!!!!
                          I suggest you read the OP again, yes he refers to his business, but he is talking about the industry in general.

Comment

Yes, the cue industry not the "Apple" industry. I spend most of my time in Asia and China and If you think every thing is marked and labelled you are in for a very rude shock.

Comment

Yes, the cue industry not the "Apple" industry. I spend most of my time in Asia and China and If you think every thing is marked and labelled you are in for a very rude shock.

I'm not sure whether you are looking for an argument or whether you misunderstand the whole point of this thread.

Yes the cue industry, but we are obviously talking about the UK, not Asia. The whole crux of this and other related posts is whether or not it is right for cuemakers to pass off foreign made cues as British handmade. As I have said, I don't believe it is.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post

Speaking personally, I'd like nothing more than to see everything opened up and exposed for how it is.
                                Couldn't agree more.
                                "It's just a shot away" -Rolling Stones-

Comment

Working...
                                X