Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only thing that struck me unusual was splicing top and bottom and then sides after but that could be Andy's usual method.

Comment

• Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
      All these posts to prove what we already know:
      Anyone valuing an item more based based purely on where its made, are:

inherantly racist,
      stupid,
      deserving of being fleeced

congrats.
      I'm not racist or stupid, if I'm paying for a UK made cue, which involves UK labour costs I expect that labour to have been done not outsourced at a fraction of the cost. You're showing your ignorance!

Comment

• Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
        The only thing that struck me unusual was splicing top and bottom and then sides after but that could be Andy's usual method.

i just looked at the picture again and for the life of me i dont understand....care to enlighten me? please

Comment

• Well, 1 thing I do know from this thread, Trevor is certainly going to be even busier by the sounds of it!!!

Sorry Trev, glad I got my order in when I did!!!............

Comment

• Originally Posted by itx View Post
            Well, 1 thing I do know from this thread, Trevor is certainly going to be even busier by the sounds of it!!!

Was just thinking the exact same mate maybe Crispian is on a percentage

Comment

• Originally Posted by crispian jones View Post
              the reason i ask andy is because as you know a cue is spliced traditionally using a hand plane, without drawing a diagram for the less expirienced here, that would mean plaining in a straight line from point A to point B where as the thai cues will have there splices put on using machinery that involves the splices being added in a convext way, so i geuss that i would need get out my plane and ruin this perticular cue to show whether it is or is not a thai cue ?
              this would mean ruining the whole cue, a waiste of my time and efforts to prove realy, but if needed then that is what i will do !
              the cue is in the workshop now see, but trutrhfuly it is the last thing i want to do to it

Cris, it's not 'that' tricky to get splices done like this, with a slight concave appearance, even with a plane.

To do this using a plane, it depends on how the cue is fixed in order to make the cuts for the splices. If a cue is held in a good solid grip for almost the entire length of the butt, (like a large vice, or a pair of vices running next to each other), then pressure can be applied to cue in order to flex it at the butt slightly. Planing it once the cue is flexed in this way creates this sort of concave effect to the faces being planed once any pressure is released from the vice or holding mechanism.
              Last edited by trevs1; 26 July 2013, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
                i just looked at the picture again and for the life of me i dont understand....care to enlighten me? please
                If you look closely under the badge you can just about see two vertical lines. These are joins between the top splice and the adjoining side splices. From my point of view I would only use this method if I were adding additional splices to the top and not for a plain butt.

Comment

• you can see the 2 lines between the ebony going up from the square at the back through the flat so the side splices are wider,therefore put on after the top and bottom.

Edit. too slow as usual lol!

Comment

• there is basicaly a way of proving without doubt if a cue is a thai cue or not, but sorry to tell you this guys it involves planing out a whole splice of the origional ebony, something that is difficult to replace perfectly because of the way they are put together !

i am willing, at a cost to myself to chop up this cue, and show the results with a diagram to explain what im saying, but realy that would put me to an even lower low that i am already

Comment

If you look closely under the badge you can just about see two vertical lines. These are joins between the top splice and the adjoining side splices. From my point of view I would only use this method if I were adding additional splices to the top and not for a plain butt.
                      As I posted earlier though, that in itself is no indication of anything, as anyone can do it that way.

It has to be said though, that nearly all the cues I've seen done this way are from abroad. It seems to be their way of going about it

Comment

• Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                        As I posted earlier though, that in itself is no indication of anything, as anyone can do it that way.

It has to be said though, that nearly all the cues I've seen done this way are from abroad. It seems to be their way of going about it
                        Not saying that it shows its a Thai cue but it seems to be a trait of them

Comment

• Originally Posted by itx View Post
                          Well, 1 thing I do know from this thread, Trevor is certainly going to be even busier by the sounds of it!!!

Nope, I'm not,

The last thing I am looking for is more work.

Comment

Not saying that it shows its a Thai cue but it seems to be a trait of them
                            Yes it does, very much so.

Comment

• I will take the Travis for £100 if you decide not to smash it Crispian

Comment

• Jeeps, this thread gone and got a bit messy has it not..
                                JP Majestic
                                3/4
                                57"
                                17oz
                                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Working...
                                X