This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
    I have made cues from 50 ins ash ,drilled it weighted it then put another piece on and then spliced it ,jason did this as well mainly to get a forward weighted cue so no prob with 50 ins ash
    Ok fair enough Jim, is there any reason you can think of to explain the way it is spliced compared to most UK cues handspliced the traditional way?
    77 in a match, 97 in a line up

Comment

But you are being short-changed. Nobodys to say you can't make a profit. But don't start charging the same prices as guys who are making a full cue from start to finish.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
        Mike Wooldridge and Robert Osbourne were mentioned (and never got any flack lol) BUT that is still not the BIG story
        Well Robert Osbourne doesn't have any involvement on TSF although there is the connection to Raymo. And while MW has been no secret to anyone paying attention - he's all but admitted it indirectly himself with his own comments - I suspect that a lot of people let it lie because he contributes in a lot of other ways and offers innovations that other cue makers haven't.

But an earlier question I asked still hasn't been answered, and I thought Crispian was warming up to it - how have these threads affected his ability to continue ordering imported cues? I suspected that he might have already been cut off and that was why he'd started it in the first place.
        Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by archalf1471 View Post
          tell me something guys. you buy a cue purely to play snooker with, some of you will do it well some of u won't, I have no idea what level you play to and am not bothered. Let's say u pay £300 for said piece of timber regardless of design. Its a wonderful cue its spot on to what you requested. You knock in several large breaks over the course of the next few weeks and have contacted the maker/builder/supplier to say how chuffed you are, best cue ever, feels lovely, great balance, superb finish, best grain you've ever seen, bargain of the cemtury , would even recommend u to the mother in law............

But wait someone you don't know never met haven't really heard of as a cuemaker, someone you didn't consider when u did your research when u decided who was going to make your cue comes on and casts doubts about the origins or work behind your new wonderbat and all of a sudden its no better than the type of bat u would find in Argos or a sports store????

pleeeeeeease get a grip, its still the same cue you've been playing well with in the last few weeks and chances are unless you let your mental state be effected and u look after it, it always will be.
          Spot on, I said a very similar thing in a conversation with a cue maker just the other day!
          "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Originally Posted by archalf1471 View Post
            Sorry hotpot if I'm being too nieve for u guys but ultimately if the cue plays well and u don't feel shortchanged by the deal you have done with whoever your chosen cuemaker is, then that's good enough for me. and trust me I've had more cues than most of u have spent years on gods green earth combined.
            I hope the thread/threads meet their ultimate goal without any bloodshed but I think they will ultimately end up at a dead end.

Good luck to all involved.
            Its nothing at all to do with how well the cue plays at all muck , If youre paying top money for a cue from a top craftsman to make from start to finish then all is well , however if the maker has only put finishing touches etc then you are being ripped off simple as that , its nothing to do with how the cue plays , its pure 100 % honesty .

Comment

[QUOTE=hotpot;722604]Its nothing at all to do with how well the cue plays at all muck , If youre paying top money for a cue from a top craftsman to make from start to finish then all is well , however if the maker has only put finishing touches etc then you are being ripped off simple as that , its nothing to do with how the cue plays , its pure 100 % honesty . Ive had my fair share of cues also . ..

Comment

Originally Posted by rob s View Post
                Ok fair enough Jim, is there any reason you can think of to explain the way it is spliced compared to most UK cues handspliced the traditional way?
                thats his choice! its a big leap to go from traditional to dubious.

Comment

Originally Posted by laverda View Post
                  Will, Jason acknowledged that he does in fact send his shafts out to be machined and I know this is all part of the 'what does constitute handmade' debate BUT I was under the impression that Jason hand planed his cues which is what I was expecting when I placed my order. Maybe its my fault for not asking the question in the first place instead of assuming and maybe it doesn't matter in the long run but one thing is certain in all this, for those that it DOES matter to, they will be asking the questions when next looking to order a cue...
                  Mick
                  Do you like the cue Jason sent you?
                  "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                    I have made cues from 50 ins ash ,drilled it weighted it then put another piece on and then spliced it ,jason did this as well mainly to get a forward weighted cue so no prob with 50 ins ash
                    Fair enough but it's back to the same old point. If Andy has made this cue differently to his other ones then why the hell does he not just say so? Having had an AT cue in the past I'm trying hard to believe that Andy is "one of the good guys" but he ain't half making it difficult for himself.

Comment

I sincerely hope that you guys don't think that every cue that is spliced in different order is a Thai cue?
                      I have always thought that it is purely aesthetic and only really matter on the lower splices.
                      "It's just a shot away" -Rolling Stones-

Comment

Originally Posted by willtyson View Post
                        At least, unlike many makers who have clearly seen posts but have been shying away from the matter, Jason has admitted that he has done it with 8 cues. Jason hand makes all the other cues and perhaps it was wrong to badge up the 8, but, he's not making a great deal on every cue he does handmake compared to what others are making on cues they are still badging as customised. Jason's work is top notch IMO and he still HANDMAKES a great cue. Please feel free to shoot me down in flames.
                        I notice Jason's website now says "Custom made cues by Jason Owen" on the home page,

and the Questions section of the site does cover the shaft origins.

Has this been changed recently, or has it been like this for a while ?

Haven't been on his site a lot recently, and when I did, I tended to just be drooling at the cue pictures.

It's all quite clear on there now anyway. .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

R.i.p

ultimately any of these threads that continue in this vain where cuemaker/suppliers integrity is being called into question will be closed down by the site admin, the same as last night's thread was, so I think all the hard work and contributions correct or speculative by all concerned and will leave a lot of potential customers very confused to say the least
                          Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                            I notice Jason's website now says "Custom made cues by Jason Owen" on the home page,

Haven't been on his site a lot recently, and when I did, I tended to just be drooling at the cue pictures.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            He is changing what it says on his badge to custom cues to try and end the bombardment of problems that are being caused by the scapegoating of him that has been caused through the original handmade cue thread.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                              Originally Posted by willtyson View Post
                              At least, unlike many makers who have clearly seen posts but have been shying away from the matter, Jason has admitted that he has done it with 8 cues. Jason hand makes all the other cues and perhaps it was wrong to badge up the 8, but, he's not making a great deal on every cue he does handmake compared to what others are making on cues they are still badging as customised. Jason's work is top notch IMO and he still HANDMAKES a great cue. Please feel free to shoot me down in flames.

It was changed this last week
                              Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

Don't think I'll be placing an order with ANY of the 'handmade cue' makers, after these couple of threads...

All this has left a nasty taste in the gob tbh.

Comment

Working...
                                X