Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be interesting to see if the other thread gets re-opened at some point. Just need to ensure I have some more popcorn at the ready.

Comment

• Think Most of this is going nowhere people should realize this as been going on for 20-30 Yrs,before the new cue makers arrived.i dont know what state or condition Jason or crispian recieved there thai cues but the ones i bought the 3 of them could be Made ready to sell as plain ebony butted cues with No butt joint,ferruled and tipped with flat and badge in about 1-1 1/2 hours.Will Post pics of mine when I can

Comment

• Originally Posted by narl View Post
        Be interesting to see if the other thread gets re-opened at some point. Just need to ensure I have some more popcorn at the ready.
        Why should,nt it muck .

Comment

• Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
          Why should,nt it muck .
          Depends on how long it takes ferret to go through it all, could be a few days or more by that time it'll be a few pages back. The discussion will probably continue in this thread If that's the case.

Comment

• Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
            Why should,nt it muck .

It should never of been closed, some of the fraudsters probably threatened legal action for libel...

Comment

• Originally Posted by archalf1471 View Post
              Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
              Originally Posted by archalf1471 View Post
              Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
              ultimately any of these threads that continue in this vain where cuemaker/suppliers integrity is being called into question will be closed down by the site admin, the same as last night's thread was, so I think all the hard work and contributions correct or speculative by all concerned and will leave a lot of potential customers very confused to say the least
              archalf1471 - I noticed you are selling your 2 months old Andy Travis cue on ebay UK . . .

Yes mythman I am. Have had it up on a couple of occasions. Firstly before the two threads were started.........hopeful rather than optimistic is a term I think I will use now lol
              On the subject of misleading, that cue isn't spliced anything like a connoisseur, but you've advertised it as a copy of a connoisseur lol
              Dave I am aware that the veneers should go right down to the base of the cue. I asked for a copy and that is what I received. Please exercise your right not to bid on said cue lol.
              Sorry mate I was just messing, wasn't being serious

Comment

• It was closed because of so many complaints. Wonder who was complaining about it..?
                "It's just a shot away" -Rolling Stones-

Comment

• Originally Posted by EnterTheDragon View Post
                  It was closed because of so many complaints. Wonder who was complaining about it..?

have a look what cuemakers this is about then check their last know activity on here and you will see

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                    Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                    Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                    ultimately any of these threads that continue in this vain where cuemaker/suppliers integrity is being called into question will be closed down by the site admin, the same as last night's thread was, so I think all the hard work and contributions correct or speculative by all concerned and will leave a lot of potential customers very confused to say the least
                    archalf1471 - I noticed you are selling your 2 months old Andy Travis cue on ebay UK . . .

Yes mythman I am. Have had it up on a couple of occasions. Firstly before the two threads were started.........hopeful rather than optimistic is a term I think I will use now lol
                    On the subject of misleading, that cue isn't spliced anything like a connoisseur, but you've advertised it as a copy of a connoisseur lol
                    Dave I am aware that the veneers should go right down to the base of the cue. I asked for a copy and that is what I received. Please exercise your right not to bid on said cue lol.
                    Sorry mate I was just messing, wasn't being serious
                    . No offence was taken
                    Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

• Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
                      A few points -

The Thai cues which I have handled, I still had to taper the top down slightly as I felt they were too thick around the bridge hand, ferrule and tip, drill and weight, add a joint, completely finish the bottom of the butt, sand the whole cue down to a finish that I considered worthy, then oil and rub over a week to get my finish.
                      It wasn't, for me, a rebadge and bang out. Actually involved alot of work.

So tell me, if I hand taper the ash squares that I have here, get a decent looking shaft and then make a cue from that, then that is a truely handmade cue, correct. Now how many of you will pay me £600 for the finished cue?
                      I bet I'd sell none.

Now if I buy 10 Thai cues and work as stated above, badge them as 'Jason Owen Ti cues' then put them up for £250 each.
                      I can tell you, once word got out I would sell 10 a month.

Regarding Andy Travis cue, I cut a 58inch shaft before splicing at around 12 inches, then drill 6 inches into the top part of the shaft, add weight and then dowell the 2 back together. The best cue maker in the country taught me that very early on after I kept splitting butts with an 18 inch long drill bit. So explains why possibly there is a difference under the splices.
                      who is this please?....Tony Ions??

Comment

• Originally Posted by Andy Travis View Post
                        My shafts come to me at approx 47 1/2'' i was told the price would be double if 58'', if my supplier sent them at 58'' i would still saw them to around 47-48, reason being if you make a 1 piece cue out of a full length 58'' shaft it will weigh around 13-14oz.
                        To add another 4-5oz and keep the balance at 17'' you would have to drill into the butt around 20'', if anyone tried this they would find the deeper they got the more out of centre the hole would be sometimes maybe coming out of one of the splices.
                        So i weight my cues in 2 diferent places, drilling from 47 1/2'' up 10'' adding weight then bonding a dowell to make the shaft 58'', when the cue is spliced with ebony to get the customers weight i have to drill up the butt again removing nearly all the dowell i added and add the required weight. so when the cue is finished the first 10'' of the ash butt has been drilled away.

This way was not copied from any other maker it just made sense. it is the only way to do it.
                        If that cue was split further up he would find a lead weight weighing around 60-80 grams 9-10'' from the join.

There is nothing else to tell you.
                        well andy, if nothing else every tom dick and harry knows a little more of what goes into cue making,if you could have switched your computor on and instantly got to this stage it would have saved you a lot!.it used to be a very secretive craft, i visited many makers
                        and gleamed very little not having access to their workshops,no tinternet in them days.

Comment

• Originally Posted by rob s View Post
                          Yeh spot on Wayne
                          the fact that the splices look curved is an optical illussion caused by the deepening splice cut on on increasing shaft taper on a round butt.

Comment

• Originally Posted by willtyson View Post
                            At least, unlike many makers who have clearly seen posts but have been shying away from the matter, Jason has admitted that he has done it with 8 cues. Jason hand makes all the other cues and perhaps it was wrong to badge up the 8, but, he's not making a great deal on every cue he does handmake compared to what others are making on cues they are still badging as customised. Jason's work is top notch IMO and he still HANDMAKES a great cue. Please feel free to shoot me down in flames.
                            Does anyone which cue's the 8 are? as I have one and would at least like to know if mine is one

Comment

• So let's get this right....

Is all the fuss about Someone on the forum buying 170 thai cues and someone else badging them up as a makers 'handmade' cue and selling them for top dollar as uk handmade cues?

Is this close to the big picture yuh?

Comment

• Originally Posted by cally View Post

Wheres wooly?.......

Would be good to hear mikes thoughts on this, well all makers should chuck there 2p in, had to laugh at jason owen admitting using thai cues after his back against the wall, but said nowt until it was pushed.. .... Naughty!
                                Aye.. so true m8. Makes you wonder.. but as your sig says.. you gotta laugh int ya

Comment

Working...
                                X