This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
    as explained before "handmade" is a subjective descriptor - it doesn't say by whose hand and where - if you are assuming that it is 100% made in the UK then that's your own problem, not the cuemaker's
    And what if a length of ash is clamped into a cnc lathe to turn the shaft down in seconds to an accuracy that the human hand can't replicate. Then that shaft is placed into another machine that planes the butt end ready for the hardwood splices, again in seconds to an accuracy that the human hand cannot replicate.
    Then an actual person glues on the hardwood splices, clamps them and when the glue is dry the whole thing is put back into the cnc lathe to be turned down in seconds to the finished article that is specified as a cue blank.

Or do you think there are hundreds of little Thai craftsmen beavering away with hand planes all bloody day.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
      Just creating a cut off point so for when I launch the Ti cues.
      The threads have helped me realise that the Thai cues as a stock cue is the way to go.
      Jason Owen Ti cues will launch soon, badged as such, in stock and ready to go.
      Be watching with interest Jason. I'd buy one from you. Honesty can bring its own reward as you will no doubt find. Well done on speaking up mate.
      "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
        And what if a length of ash is clamped into a cnc lathe to turn the shaft down in seconds to an accuracy that the human hand can't replicate. Then that shaft is placed into another machine that planes the butt end ready for the hardwood splices, again in seconds to an accuracy that the human hand cannot replicate.
        Then an actual person glues on the hardwood splices, clamps them and when the glue is dry the whole thing is put back into the cnc lathe to be turned down in seconds to the finished article that is specified as a cue blank.

Or do you think there are hundreds of little Thai craftsmen beavering away with hand planes all bloody day.
        i think you will find their beavering away with hand power planes,and they dont use cnc lathes thats just overkill but i get your point

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post

Under those circumstances, I would expect to be paying £150-£200 for the finished article, not £400-£800.

Comment

• Originally Posted by gnomus View Post
            Under those circumstances, I would expect to be paying £150-£200 for the finished article, not £400-£800.
            just a side note re prices,i went to open the workshop one day and this bloke parked right in my spot in a brand spankin new xjs.went round the corner and hes waiting for me to openup.he looks at this cue its 175 pound,bear in mind its middle 80s so its not cheap but its handmade(gotta be careful here) he says fxxx me thats dear! i said do you like playing snooker? he says love it try to play most days,i says do you like driving?he looks at me funny then says no but you gotta get from a2b aintchya,i said you just spent 30odd grand on your car but wont spend 175pound on a cue,he slunk out, no sale but i felt better(parkin in my spot the txxt

Comment

• JasonOwen:

If you do that and post it here and if you have one on my specs or can alter one *AND I BEAT THE RUSH* for certain I will buy one. Only thing I'm particular on is the side grain is straight and a pure medium flex shaft.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                i think you will find their beavering away with hand power planes,and they dont use cnc lathes thats just overkill but i get your point
                I think we've already discovered on the closed thread that these cue blanks are indeed machine made. As Crispian pointed out, the splices have a shape to them that is defined by a certain machine planing procedure. The only handsplicing is done in the UK, apparently, and that's only the added decorative veneeers and burrs etc.
                It's a rip off pure and simple to badge these cues as handmade.
                Error of judgement simply equates to being found out, as we see everytime an MP makes a resignation speech.

Comment

• Originally Posted by gnomus View Post
                  Considering that the shaft is what a good cue is really all about, why bother with a UK Thai cue maker at all. Those Chinese cues on ebay are half that price and made the same way.
                  Don't be fooled into paying for the name when it isn't relevant.

Comment

• Looks like Jason isn't gonna let us know what numbers the 8 Thai cues are. What's the point in admitting 8 but only disclosing his own playing cue no.85, that's IF there was only 8, who knows, I do know him not disclosing the numbers of the other 7 means anyone wanting to buy one of his cues 2nd hand could also be ripped off paying too much believing they're buying a handmade cue made by Jason Owen and not receiving what they paid for! Bad enough it happening once without Jason being happy to sit back and watch it potentially happen again!

Just a thought, if I took an old cue to a cue maker, and asked for it to be retapered from the original 11mm tip size down to for eg 9.5mm, fitting a ferrule and tip, adding a badge and applying a finish, how much would that cost me? Hoping for an answer from as many cue makers as possible then ill get to the point of me asking the question

Comment

• Dave:

I had this done through Stu Green to an old Will Hunt cue I bought which actually had to be re-ferruled and re-tapered too and then refinished completely. If I remember right the price was around 25GBP maybe 35, not certain, but I remember I was surprised at how little it cost.

Terry
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                        ...adding a badge ..
                        What do you mean by badge tho, if not their cue they shouldn't be adding their badge to it

Comment

• Glad I bought a phoenix from craftsmen now, I thought it maybe the case that most cue makers would buy in prefinished shafts and
                          even full part finished cues.

Its a fact that no cue maker can make you a cue that will play the way you want it to play(you may get lucky), you need to go some place you can try out cues first , or if you want to take a chance and order it online surely you are safer just getting a thai cue at £200 max,
                          Unless your a collector of cues - TRY THEN BUY.
                          Chas

Comment

• Originally Posted by chas6868 View Post
                            Glad I bought a phoenix from craftsmen now, I thought it maybe the case that most cue makers would buy in prefinished shafts and
                            even full part finished cues.

Its a fact that no cue maker can make you a cue that will play the way you want it to play(you may get lucky), you need to go some place you can try out cues first , or if you want to take a chance and order it online surely you are safer just getting a thai cue at £200 max,
                            Unless your a collector of cues - TRY THEN BUY.
                            Chas

i think its been proven if youre buying blind the go with Robin Cook , Trevor White and a few others who,s cues hold their valu , otherwise you may find you,ll lose a lot on the resale . Different if you can go and try before you buy as its certain to be a keeper .

Comment

• golferson:

At 175 I'll take 3. Do you take paypal?

Terry
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                                Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                                ...adding a badge ..
                                What do you mean by badge tho, if not their cue they shouldn't be adding their badge to it
                                What type of badge for now is irrelevant, for the sake of argument a customised by xxxx badge

Comment

Working...
                                X