This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
    I think I might buy one of these Thai cues next, see how I like them. Might as well. All of this the past few days could have a back fire effect on some of the cue makers here, think about it..
    My Ton Praram is a great cue. Maybe not the nicest finish, but I think the laminated shaft changes your perception of the finish. If anything, I might get it lengthened to go to 9mm tip from 8.5mm.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
      Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Do they really buy the basic spliced up cue for only £60 ????
      That's a lot cheaper than i would imagine
      Surely shipping and customs costs that alone ???
      Think that's what it said on the other thread, could be totally wrong though. Wey looks like Jason has blocked me on fb, guess he doesn't like the truth lol, not so open an honest afterall. Personally don't believe it was only 8 Thai cues or that it was an error of judgement, rather I believe he got greedy and thought he could get away with it. Oh well, I thought he was a good bloke and wasn't looking to fall out with him, guess sh*t happens
      You guys on here beggar belief u really do. You've done nothing but criticise Jason over the past few days questioning the blokes integrity and business practice's and u wonder why he doesn't regard u as a "friend" in cyberspace and blocks you. Jeez. Unbelievable.
      Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
        Couldn't really be bothered phoning around for quotes TBH. Couple of the ex-pros at my club have used Tony Wilshaw for repairs so I just went with him. Did a good job.
        Yeah fair play it's gonna be a good job, WSS are local to me literally 5 mins away so it was an easy choice, and the guy did a great job

Comment

• Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
          if you can't win in a court of law, then your point is moot and invalid. it is your own responsibility to ask before you purchase the item what exactly is in it or how it was made. if the seller doesn't divulge you have the option not to buy - and if he lies to you about the origin then you can sue him for false marketing

as explained before "handmade" is a subjective descriptor - it doesn't say by whose hand and where - if you are assuming that it is 100% made in the UK then that's your own problem, not the cuemaker's

The bold above is not entirely correct my friend. Not in the UK anyway.

Labels, name badges or whatever, used to mark the origins and intellectual ownership of a product MUST NOT BE MISLEADING.

That law varies from product to product, but still, product labels or tags used to identify it, MUST NOT BE MISLEADING.

'IF' a product is badged with an individuals name or business name, (one who actually resides and trades from the UK),
          with the only other text on that label / badge being "Hand made", then, that label / badge is most definitely misleading.

I'm pretty sure UK trading standards would see it as such too, but, whether they'd be bothered to instigate any proceeding is another matter.

Still, for anyone who has in the past, continues to or does in the future, use imported products to label them as their own, the real sting may be in lost credibility and respect. I say that, as in doing so, they would be making their integrity appear very questionable.

Of course, I might be talking crap.
          Last edited by trevs1; 29 July 2013, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            golferson:

At 175 I'll take 3. Do you take paypal?

Terry
            no paypal in the 80s terry just CASH!

Comment

Think that's what it said on the other thread, could be totally wrong though. Wey looks like Jason has blocked me on fb, guess he doesn't like the truth lol, not so open an honest afterall. Personally don't believe it was only 8 Thai cues or that it was an error of judgement, rather I believe he got greedy and thought he could get away with it. Oh well, I thought he was a good bloke and wasn't looking to fall out with him, guess sh*t happens
              Originally Posted by throtts View Post
              There should have been a recall on the 8 cues and a offer of a full refund or he should told the customers to keep the sticks while he builds them what they previously thought they was going to get and that's UK Handmades...If there was more though, now that would be a risky offer ...
              Did you guys miss the reply from Jason where he said he had contacted those involved with the 8 and has sorted it with them (only 1 person was making demands of him out of the 7). I would think that if any of Jasons cues come up for resale then a simple email to Jason to ask if the cue number was one of the 8 would be answered immediately.

I don't know about you but it seems to me that if a seller of a Jason Owen '8' cue tried to sell it off as not being one of the 8 then surely that reflects on their character and if only 1 person out of the 7 owners (Jason is the 8th) are unsatisfied and trying make demands of Jason and the others are indeed happy with their cues and Jasons apology then there's only likely to be one sold out of frustration...

Just my 2 cents but as a recent recipient of a Jason Owen cue and having spoken directly to the guy myself I think I'm qualified to speak. I wonder how many of the other folks here making demands of Jason have actually purchased from him? I know he is trying to make the necessary changes to his business and he is making his way through dealing with his actual customers and their concerns so its no wonder to me that he would shut out the other noises while he does the right thing in talking to those who have made purchases from him.

Again, just my 2 cents
              Mick

Comment

You need that in writing too, verbal is no good. In fact, that would be a good route to take when ordering a cue, have the maker write down on paper what exactly you are getting, be a bit like a authenticity certificate which would be good for sell on and make ones cue making business a better and more valuable one.

You mean like has already been done, only for them to be found out as imported cues after all.

Lets be clear here, a maker can tell people what the hell he / she likes.

Comment

• I agree, trev, and you are not talking crap.

It boils down to if the consumer has the time and the money to take seller to court, it as simple as that. In these cases it'll surely be a small claims court hearing..
                  JP Majestic
                  3/4
                  57"
                  17oz
                  9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                    I think we've already discovered on the closed thread that these cue blanks are indeed machine made. As Crispian pointed out, the splices have a shape to them that is defined by a certain machine planing procedure. The only handsplicing is done in the UK, apparently, and that's only the added decorative veneeers and burrs etc.
                    It's a rip off pure and simple to badge these cues as handmade.
                    Error of judgement simply equates to being found out, as we see everytime an MP makes a resignation speech.
                    yep the blanks are turned,the splices are power planed by hand! in a jig.the butts are belt linished they would never stand up to being turned

Comment

I agree, trev, and you are not talking crap.

It boils down to if the consumer has the time and the money to take seller to court, it as simple as that. In these cases it'll surely be a small claims court hearing..
                      Small claims court up to £10,000 now so not so small, but miles away from this topic.

Comment

• Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                        You mean like has already been done, only for them to be found out as imported cues after all.

Lets be clear here, a maker can tell people what the hell he / she likes.
                        Yes, but you have the proper written descriptive receipt be it electric type or written. I would rather have that than nothing in court other than telling Mr Judge we discussed it over a coffee, that's for sure..
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Can't really see any cuemakers answering tbh so my point was that even if getting that work done would cost £50, add that to the around £60 I think I read it cost to buy the Thai cue is on the other thread would be £110 that's including his labour, but he allegedly sold at least 2 of these cues for £400, profit of £580 on just 2 of the Thai cues, all just estimated costs from prices thrown around on the forum. If it was me who'd bought one of these cues id be onto Jason for a partial refund, if it was a genuine error of judgement it would only be fair for Jason to offer some sort of partial compensation, that's only my opinion though, not saying Jason should or shouldn't or that the customers would want any firm of compensation its just my opinion on things
                          I am forgetting Jason said he also weighted and added a butt joint so through profit margin won't be quite as much as I first though

Comment

• As a little light relief, and hopefully a way of putting Thai-gate into perspective, look what I found on the Acuerate website (note this isn't their UK website).

I'm confused, I was there in Newport when Hendry made the 147, and I was under the impression that he was using an acuerate cue. Turns out he was using a John Parris Acuerate Replica, WTF!?

So, in other words, even though he was being sponsored by acuerate at the time, and was singing their praises, he was still using a Parris!

However, when it comes to being ripped off, look at the price:

http://www.acueratecues.com/special-...e-147-replica/

UNBELIEVABLE!!

Comment

Yeah I know mate that's why I'm hoping to get a few different prices to get an average price for the work I mentioned
                              Around £30 to £40, but no badge is fitted.

Comment

• Holy Moly, even for a anorak that's expensive...
                                JP Majestic
                                3/4
                                57"
                                17oz
                                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Working...
                                X