Joint above the splice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint above the splice

I have noticed that some cue makers use the joint just above the splice construction method (I think it may be more common on older cues) wonder if this makes any difference to the playing quality balance e.ct. of the cue as opposed to 3/4 jointed and one piece Andrew Gibbs Cue maker appears to have used it as his personal choice on many cues.

I could be wrong, but I think most cues jointed above the splices would be made as a one piece first then jointed afterwards. Where as those 3/4 jointed are made in two parts. Therefore making these naturally heavier due to a solid butt.

Comment

Had my cue for pool made as a 1 piece and jointed through the ebony fingers at 16". Simply as that's where I prefer the joint with the balance point being at 17" plus always liked that look through Steve Davis's cue. Generally jointing above the splices will give a more forward balance

Comment

Yep as already said, cue made as one piece, then split, joint gives ease of transport and a forward balance

Comment

I have a GBL cue here which is maple shafted and was made as a 1pc and then jointed above the splices and refinished by MW and it seems to be one hell of a nice cue. Even though it's maple I've had no problems when I tried it out for awhile.

I cannot detect any difference in its playability as compared to my own MW (ash) playing cue.

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Tried two cues like this both played superb actually - don't know why more are not made that way - smaller case and better balance - who's idea was it to split a cue 3 quarter anyway?

Comment

Joint above the splice

I've had an MW cue for about 13 years, it's jointed about an inch fron the end of the splices, still looks good.

Comment

I love to know where you can get a smaller case for a cue made this way, especially if it is available in Asia. It takes me more than 3 hours a day for commute and I appreciate the convenience greatly.

Comment

Originally Posted by lbs View Post
                  I love to know where you can get a smaller case for a cue made this way, especially if it is available in Asia. It takes me more than 3 hours a day for commute and I appreciate the convenience greatly.
                  Would probably have to be custom made

Comment

You can convert a 3/4 Cue Craft case by removing the end caps and placing the case on a bench and carefully cutting the case down to whatever size you want , ( both ends , to balance the case out , you still want the handle in the middle ) .Replace the end caps and you have a shorter case.Some " Tournament " style cases , particularly Barracuda ( no longer made , try e-bay ) were also made short .My altered two section Cue Craft is 44 3/4" long , down from approx 50 1/2" ,( external ) and 42 3/4" internal ( chalk compartment loses 2" ) and my 3 section Barracuda Tournament is 43 1/2 " ( ext ) and 43 1/4 " internal. I suppose that as long as you can remove the end caps , then any case can be altered , length wise.

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
                      You can convert a 3/4 Cue Craft case by removing the end caps and placing the case on a bench and carefully cutting the case down to whatever size you want , ( both ends , to balance the case out , you still want the handle in the middle ) .Replace the end caps and you have a shorter case.Some " Tournament " style cases , particularly Barracuda ( no longer made , try e-bay ) were also made short .My altered two section Cue Craft is 44 3/4" long , down from approx 50 1/2" ,( external ) and 42 3/4" internal ( chalk compartment loses 2" ) and my 3 section Barracuda Tournament is 43 1/2 " ( ext ) and 43 1/4 " internal. I suppose that as long as you can remove the end caps , then any case can be altered , length wise.
                      My mate (Stevie on here) did exactly that to fit his cue to perfection. A bit of time, patience and a few pop rivets and its the perfect size. He said is was so easy to do as well.
                      You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Nice to see you around Fred . Yes easy job and if you dont damage the end caps , you dont need to rivet them back on.Really tight fit so no problems as long as you are careful.

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
                          Nice to see you around Fred . Yes easy job and if you dont damage the end caps , you dont need to rivet them back on.Really tight fit so no problems as long as you are careful.
                          Cheers old school. Takes more than the big "C" to get rid of me on here! Lol
                          You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X