Sydney Lee cue has a twin ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney Lee cue has a twin ??

Got this cue the other night, thought it looked similar to my recent Cannon Match cue, could of been separated at birth lol, splices slightly different in length but very close match
    Guess made by Peradon ??

A couple of nice looking cues there.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Guess made by Peradon ??
      The Sydney Lee is made by Peradon (50s?), the Cannon was by Weilding's Ltd at the time, even though actually owned by Peradon, but as you say and we can all see they do look like they came from the hands
      very nice finds
      Last edited by DeanH; 7 September 2013, 02:23 PM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Weildings were selling both the "Cannon" and "Sydney Lee" cues in the mid-50's. There is a green veneer Sydney Lee cue which looks a lot like this one in their 1956-57 catalogue.

They were taken over by Peradon in 1958, so I would guess that these cues were both from the Weilding's workshop in Acton, although Peradon might have continued the design after the take-over and they might date from this period.
        Last edited by 100-uper; 7 September 2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Got this cue the other night, thought it looked similar to my recent Cannon Match cue, could of been separated at birth lol, splices slightly different in length but very close match
          Guess made by Peradon ??
          Really feeling envy, British have many chances to get nice and beautiful snooker cues with affordable price, but as for Malaysian and Singaporean, we can only see the photos and dream abt it, it will become very high price after convert to our coutry currency, specially for Malaysia, exchange rates is £1 = MYR 5.20, with this money we can have a lunch and drink.

Comment

Thanks for info, great knowledge

Comment

i have a mascot which is damn near identical also.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Just like to add to DeanH's post which correctly identifies Peradon as making the Sydney Lee cue. They started making them in 1935, which is when he turned professional, and continued until the start of the war. Unfortunately I don't know what these early cues looked like as the catalogues I have are not illustrated. Probably a cue expert will be able to tell you of any difference.

Peradon began to sell them again in the early 50's, which was presumably when the timber became available once more. But production stopped almost immediately and switched to Weildings, so I assume that Sydney made a new deal with them.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                  i have a mascot which is damn near identical also.
                  The "Mascot" is a Burroughes & Watts model, and the earliest reference I have to this cue is 1937 when it is described as having a "green inlaid veneer splice," a description which continues through to 1953, which is my last reference. I'm fairly sure that B&W had stopped making their own cues by the 1950's but can't say who they were buying them from at that time. However, the earlier date for the start of this design suggests it is unlikely to come from the same workshop as the others. Possibly Weildings pinched the design from them!

Comment

Sydney Lee cue has a twin ??

maybe Weilding's made them for B&W at this time?
                    Last edited by DeanH; 7 September 2013, 09:56 PM.
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
                      The "Mascot" is a Burroughes & Watts model, and the earliest reference I have to this cue is 1937 when it is described as having a "green inlaid veneer splice," a description which continues through to 1953, which is my last reference. I'm fairly sure that B&W had stopped making their own cues by the 1950's but can't say who they were buying them from at that time. However, the earlier date for the start of this design suggests it is unlikely to come from the same workshop as the others. Possibly Weildings pinched the design from them!
                      maybe i have also seen a K&C cue from i would guess the 70's which is bang on identical.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

A popular design then, i too have seen a Mascot as adr said that looks very similar
                        I like that it is not too "in your face", quite subtle really

Comment

Working...
                        X