Cues suitability with tips...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cues suitability with tips...

I've sworn by Kamui MH for a while now, hence selling off what I thought were going to be surplus tips. But with my new maple TW, they feel completely different to when used with my laminated shaft Ton Praram cue, they feel way too hard.

Anyone else experienced this?

I started a thread about this not long ago after using my new TW with a Talisman soft. Way too hard a sound and feeling. Putting a Blue Diamond on helped a lot and I now have a MW super tip on which is fine too.

I found some of TW's old posts saying that some cues are just not suited to laminated tips due to each cues individual hitting sound. The TW I have now is a real solid hitter anyway so I suppose I didn't need the harder tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
      I started a thread about this not long ago after using my new TW with a Talisman soft. Way too hard a sound and feeling. Putting a Blue Diamond on helped a lot and I now have a MW super tip on which is fine too.

I found some of TW's old posts saying that some cues are just not suited to laminated tips due to each cues individual hitting sound. The TW I have now is a real solid hitter anyway so I suppose I didn't need the harder tip.
      I knew I had read a few threads about this in the past, but I can't remember Trev saying that, must have missed it. Can't be coincidence can it? I've put a Pool Baron Hornet on now, much softer, I will see how that goes.

Comment

Found it from May last year.

"Any tip "can" be fine, but it does depend on the cue it's being fitted to, and the person it's being fitted for. Some players like a firmer sound on the contact, while some like a softer, more cushioned sound. Now, the problem here is that each cue has its own individual contact sound, and so while putting a firmer tip on might make it sound firmer, if it happens to be a cue which has a very firm contact sound naturally, then firm tips "might" feel like you've just glued a pebble onto the end of your cue. Not nice at all."

Seems like a plausible explanation to me. I did some research a couple of weeks ago as I was worried there was something wrong with the cue because it really did sound like I had a pebble on the end!

Comment

Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
          Found it from May last year.

"Any tip "can" be fine, but it does depend on the cue it's being fitted to, and the person it's being fitted for. Some players like a firmer sound on the contact, while some like a softer, more cushioned sound. Now, the problem here is that each cue has its own individual contact sound, and so while putting a firmer tip on might make it sound firmer, if it happens to be a cue which has a very firm contact sound naturally, then firm tips "might" feel like you've just glued a pebble onto the end of your cue. Not nice at all."

Seems like a plausible explanation to me. I did some research a couple of weeks ago as I was worried there was something wrong with the cue because it really did sound like I had a pebble on the end!
          Cheers mate.

Comment

Cues suitability with tips...

Yes I've noticed this myself, you never know how a tips going to feel on a new cue till you try, though for every cue I've had there's not one brand of tip which I could say suited them all...
            Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

The zan (s) is far more superior than all the layer tips, its allows to do all types of shots with ease and accuracies.
              do not try the zan (M) is a bit too hard for snooker.
              having tired over the years with more than 50 types of press and layered tips, the Zan (S) stays on top of my list.
              unfortunatley its also very expensive too. once you tried it you'll be hook. try to lathe them down from 14 to 11mm
              before glueing.

Comment

never heard of Zan tips, do you have any link or websites for these? cheers
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Found this, don't know if it's them or not http://zan-tip.com/eng/technology.html

And there is a post here that mentions them started by MrBluejay http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...41906-Zan-Tips

Comment

thanks for the links
                    as I thought, very much a US-pool tip, especially in Japan region.

from the home page, it seems to read that it takes 8 pigs and hogs to make a "single" tip!
                    an Aston Martin has about eight cow hides for a whole car-interior
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

no going back tip. remember get the (S)

Comment

Originally Posted by twenisix View Post
                        no going back tip. remember get the (S)
                        For some people maybe, but if you read the thread you'd understand that the zan might not work well on all cues...
                        Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

The zan (s) is far more superior than all the layer tips, its allows to do all types of shots with ease and accuracies.
                          do not try the zan (M) is a bit too hard for snooker.
                          having tired over the years with more than 50 types of press and layered tips, the Zan (S) stays on top of my list.
                          unfortunatley its also very expensive too. once you tried it you'll be hook. try to lathe them down from 14 to 11mm
                          before glueing.
                          recent experiment done:
                          after lathe down the cue tip to 11mm I then transfer the tip to the vice clamp. I applied some pressure to compress the tip to spread the tip wider in diameter (not very tight for about 20 second) this process helps to stretch the leather to minimise the run-in for the new tip. the results show even better "firmed solid tip without losing its grip" I tested this on 3 cues and the feel were very similiar and same consistency when play.

Comment

recent experiment done:
                            after lathe down the cue tip to 11mm I then transfer the tip to the vice clamp. I applied some pressure to compress the tip to spread the tip wider in diameter (not very tight for about 20 second) this process helps to stretch the leather to minimise the run-in for the new tip. the results show even better "firmed solid tip without losing its grip" I tested this on 3 cues and the feel were very similiar and same consistency when play.
                            the Zan S after lathe down and compressed. its about 11.3mm in diameter. after glueing requires a side trimming
                            and shaping.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X