Grain Filling Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grain Filling Advice

I've posted on here previously regarding exposed grain on my cue and it would appear the cue maker concerned doesn't seem interested. I've had both Parris and Trevor White cues before and I know the grain isn't meant to be as exposed as it is and feels considerably rough.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to take it or send it to a cuemaker so was wondering if there was anything that I could do myself that doesn't have considerable risk involved?

I've searched through for forums and found a million and one different ways of filling the grain, most of which seem to involve using sandpaper which scares the life out of me! I did see a couple of people mention beeswax could be used to fill the grain to a degree?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I think sending it to someone to do properly would be your best bet, from what i have seen, you 1st get a totally black cue and have to sand it back, looks a bit scary for a novice to try

Comment

Don't try it yourself, you'll make it worse.

Send it to someone who can finish it for you properly as it might not be the grain needing filled at all, it might simply need a rub back and re-finished. Impossible to tell without having the cue in your hand.

Comment

I sent my pool cue which needed some grain filler replaced in areas to Andy Travis a while back, checked with him before on his workload, got the cue back beautifully refinished in a week.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Golden View Post
          I've posted on here previously regarding exposed grain on my cue and it would appear the cue maker concerned doesn't seem interested. I've had both Parris and Trevor White cues before and I know the grain isn't meant to be as exposed as it is and feels considerably rough.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to take it or send it to a cuemaker so was wondering if there was anything that I could do myself that doesn't have considerable risk involved?

I've searched through for forums and found a million and one different ways of filling the grain, most of which seem to involve using sandpaper which scares the life out of me! I did see a couple of people mention beeswax could be used to fill the grain to a degree?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
          just try this : http://www.jpennyltd.co.uk/shopping/...tion.php?id=51
          i personnaly use the black one ( same product from another brand called syntikor ) and the result is just stunning , and it's very easy . I'm actually refinishing some ash shafts for friends of mine , i can post pics of how i use this wax i needed . All you need is 600 sandpaper , a black wax stick , iron wool , a cloth and lot of care

Comment

Originally Posted by liquidsymphony View Post
            just try this : http://www.jpennyltd.co.uk/shopping/...tion.php?id=51
            i personnaly use the black one ( same product from another brand called syntikor ) and the result is just stunning , and it's very easy . I'm actually refinishing some ash shafts for friends of mine , i can post pics of how i use this wax i needed . All you need is 600 sandpaper , a black wax stick , iron wool , a cloth and lot of care
            An oil finish isn't easy after using wax!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
              An oil finish isn't easy after using wax!!!
              it depend of the oil used . i personnaly never use linseed oil but lemon oil , generaly used by guitar players to clean and protect rosewood guitar necks , linseed oil is to thick and sometimes make your shaft sticky . in fact i tend to slightly oil and than apply wax . the wax i use is solid and i do not heat it before so it fills the grain without preventing the wood from "absorbing" oil for a better finish

Comment

Working...
              X