Cue length - advice please ~~~~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue length - advice please ~~~~

I have been using 57" cue for many years.....
    Lately I'm trying to shorten down the distance between the bridge & tip, from 14" to maybe about 12".

Thus I ordered anther cue which is 56" & arrived last week.... A Maximus Ultimate from Thailand.
    I'm quite comfortable with the new 56" cue & I think this is the suitable length for me ~~~~

My concern is what should I do to the current 57" cue ?

The 57" cue is actually quite new, received few months ago from TW, 1pc ash with plain cocobolo butt.
    A fantastic cue I ever have ~~~~~~
    I did think of shorten the TW from 57" to 56" but most of my friends disagree with me !
    They said I should not alter the TW cue, I should keep as what it is otherwise I may face difficultly if I wanna sell the cue in future.

Should I or shouldn't I alter the cue length ~~~~ ??
    Last edited by kadobau; 16 October 2013, 02:40 AM.

If you feel better using 56" cue rather than 57" I'd get it shortened. It kinda annoys me when people say keep something the same just because of the resale value even tho it's not suitable for you. It's like me I've got and ordered custom JPU and Jason Owen cues at " non standard lengths 55" " because that's what is suitable for me. Not because it will effect the resale value if I wanted to sell.

Comment

Originally Posted by kadobau View Post
      Lately I'm trying to shorten down the distance between the bridge & tip, from 14" to maybe about 12".

Thus I ordered anther cue which is 56" & arrived last week.... A Maximus Ultimate from Thailand.
      I'm quite comfortable with the new 56" cue & I think this is the suitable length for me ~~~~

The 57" cue is actually quite new, received few months ago from TW, 1pc ash with plain cocobolo butt.
      I did think of shorten the TW from 57" to 56" but most of my friends disagree with me !
      They said I should not alter the TW cue, I should keep as what it is otherwise I may face difficultly if I wanna sell the cue in future.

Bro, if you wanna shorten your TW cue, I suppose you gotta look for a good cue maker or whosoever can do it well for you. But I don't see any in Malaysia though. Maybe you gotta send it to Thailand?

Comment

I've never understood why players need a shorter cue, just hold the cue higher up the butt!!!
        Why ruin a cue by chopping bits off or adding length to it and altering the balance, just adapt your grip, far cheaper and easier and also having that extra length can help when playing shots just out of your normal reach when stretching slightly for instance.

Comment

hi kadobau can I ask a personal question... how tall are you (ft/in) and if you know what your arm lengths are? These can indicate what cue length can be comfortable.
          I am 5'9" and play with cues just over 57" and my bridge distance us usually around the 8"-10" and I dont have my hand all the way the end of the butt. This is what I am comfortable with.
          Do you play with the hand at the end of the butt or some way down the butt?

To cut down a 57" cue? I would say no, or at least not yet, wait till you know for definite that 56" is what you need to play comfortably
          And if you do, remember the badge would be affected by the reduction, and if the badge is not left/reset the value of the cue can be affected. (sorry for saying this but we are on TSF - the home of the cue-buyers/sellers )
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Dean H the badge won't be affected, the usual way to shorten a cue is to do it at the tip end

Comment

ah yes :redface-new:
              Last edited by DeanH; 16 October 2013, 08:57 AM.
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by involver View Post
                Bro, if you wanna shorten your TW cue, I suppose you gotta look for a good cue maker or whosoever can do it well for you. But I don't see any in Malaysia though. Maybe you gotta send it to Thailand?
                There is one in Muar..... expert & also good player.

He is not a cue maker, cause he doesn't make cue to sell.
                But he knows how make a cue just that he don't have those great woods to make a great cue......
                He is actually just a cue doctor ~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Last edited by kadobau; 16 October 2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                  I've never understood why players need a shorter cue, just hold the cue higher up the butt!!!
                  Why ruin a cue by chopping bits off or adding length to it and altering the balance, just adapt your grip, far cheaper and easier and also having that extra length can help when playing shots just out of your normal reach when stretching slightly for instance.
                  Hi! I'm always holding right to the end of the butt so it almost a fix length when I play.
                  I did try to hold higher up but not consistently at the same place & I have to look at it and check it out almost every shot !!!
                  This make me very busy ~~~~ Maybe I'm not good enough to handle this circumstances

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    hi kadobau can I ask a personal question... how tall are you (ft/in) and if you know what your arm lengths are? These can indicate what cue length can be comfortable.
                    I am 5'9" and play with cues just over 57" and my bridge distance us usually around the 8"-10" and I dont have my hand all the way t

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And if you do, remember the badge would be affected by the reduction, and if the badge is not left/reset the value of the cue can be affected. (sorry for saying this but we are on TSF - the home of the cue-buyers/sellers )
                    Hi! I'm 5'10" ~~~~~ I'm always have my hand right to the end of the butt.... you can't see the badge !
                    Last edited by kadobau; 16 October 2013, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      I am 5'9" and play with cues just over 57" and my bridge distance us usually around the 8"-10" and I dont have my hand all the way the end of the butt. This is what I am comfortable with.
                      Do you play with the hand at the end of the butt or some way down the butt?

To cut down a 57" cue? I would say no, or at least not yet, wait till you know for definite that 56" is what you need to play comfortably

I'm 5 "11" and i have a 57.5 and i hold the cue up the butt a little, there is no reason to chop it, just hold it up the butt

Comment

Hi! I'm always holding right to the end of the butt so it almost a fix length when I play.
                        I did try to hold higher up but not consistently at the same place & I have to look at it and check it out almost every shot !!!
                        This make me very busy ~~~~ Maybe I'm not good enough to handle this circumstances
                        if thats the case then place a piece of tape where your comfortable holding the cue to help with the momery of where to hold, eventually it will become second nature

Comment

The TW (57") cue is actually my main playing cue & the Maximus Ultimate (56") is suppose to be my spare cue ~~~~

But now end up I'm sticking to the Maximus rather than the TW ~~~~~

OMG ~~~ I paid so much for the TW end up become a spare cue ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Comment

The TW (57") cue is actually my main playing cue & the Maximus Ultimate (56") is suppose to be my spare cue ~~~~

But now end up I'm sticking to the Maximus rather than the TW ~~~~~

OMG ~~~ I paid so much for the TW end up become a spare cue ! ! ! ! ! ! !

If your 100pc happy with the maximus and your not a collector then i would sell the tw, swapping between cues imo is a recipe for disaster

Comment

Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
                              If your 100pc happy with the maximus and your not a collector then i would sell the tw, swapping between cues imo is a recipe for disaster
                              I'm not a cue collector but I'm trying to be ~~~~~~ LOL ~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X