One Piece or 3/4 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
    ....but find it a bit heavy (19.5 lbs)...
    WOW that is heavy !!
    (guess you meant 19.5 oz)

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      WOW that is heavy !!
      Got some extra weight added there ha ha
      "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Had always played with 3/4 butts but bought had a one piece built earlier in the year and I love it. It somehow feels more solid, plus as I had an annoying habit of accidentally unscrewing the cue I'd sometimes be playing the odd shot and hear a weird clunky sound as it wasn't tight enough. The first couple of months I struggled to play with the one piece but i put that down to a combination of going with an extra 1 1/2" longer, slightly heavier & general new cue syndrome The only real downside is transport

Comment

I play in so many different clubs I've always used jointed cues for ease of transport, probably the same reason as most people, though i think i will get a 1 piece cue made to my spec in the future for curiosity purposes!
          Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

My first cue was a 1 piece Powerglide Excalibur..... and I stupidly had it made into a 3/4 about 20 years ago, don't ask me why I did but what a mistake that was!!

After doing that I've been a 1 piece man all the way.....
            Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
            Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              WOW that is heavy !!
              F*ck! lol sure 19.5 oz!
              Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                My first cue was a 1 piece Powerglide Excalibur..... and I stupidly had it made into a 3/4 about 20 years ago, don't ask me why I did but what a mistake that was!!

After doing that I've been a 1 piece man all the way.....
                yep i still use a 1piece excalibur fantastic cue straight as the day it was bought 25yrs ago!

Comment

Originally Posted by the nugget View Post
                  yep i still use a 1piece excalibur fantastic cue straight as the day it was bought 25yrs ago!
                  Ahhhh nice, they are ace cues.......

And I would have been still using mine if I haven't of butchered it, lesson learnt the hard way!!
                  Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                  Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

I have had a 3/4 Parris Special circa 1986 , a Parris Special circa 1988/9 , a Craftsman that Dave Brown reckons was 1984/5 , a Barracuda Professional 3/4 from the 80s and a Classic Custom from the mid 80s 3/4 , I have a Riley Burwatt 3/4 " long butt ( 25 1/2" ) that is an 80s cue and probably made in imitation of Alex & Jimmys experiments with long 3/4 butts. I also own a 1982 Barracuda Gold Medal that is centre jointed , but also 4/5 jointed at the time of purchase.The technology/joints and the will to experiment existed back then , so it wouldnt surprise me if a 3/4 cue of + 30 years was still in existence .

Comment

I do not think there is any difference - it is all in the mind. If the cue is made right and is balanced and feels right that is all that matters - I have mainly used one piece cues because I thought they 'felt' right or different but in retrospect they where just good cues - I have also played with cues with the joint above the splices that played very well too - easier to carry a three quarter cue and have recently switched to one - I would still use either - does not matter to me.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                        I do not think there is any difference - it is all in the mind. If the cue is made right and is balanced and feels right that is all that matters - I have mainly used one piece cues because I thought they 'felt' right or different but in retrospect they where just good cues - I have also played with cues with the joint above the splices that played very well too - easier to carry a three quarter cue and have recently switched to one - I would still use either - does not matter to me.
                        I have been playing with 1 p cues for about 2 yrs now and I would never consider a jointed cue again, I have tried 3/4 machined spliced cues since and the difference in feel is massive, when trying more expensive jointed cues the difference is more subtle but it is still there.
                        Definitely not in the mind stuff.
                        " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

I had been using 3/4 Cues for over 25yrs and tried a few 1pc Cues aswell but always found 3/4 Cues alot more convenient to carry around in the Car or going to tournys etc, But I started using 1pc Cue full time around 8-10yrs ago and I gotta be honest i have found a big difference and dont really wanna go back to 3/4 Cues althou they are alot more convenient.

Im not sure if others agree here but I find you feel the shot/touch more, And if you look at the Top Players in the World Ronnie, John Higgins, Trump, Ding, etc all Use 1pc Cues which is definately more hassle for them than us as they play alot more Tournys and travel alot more with them. I have Bought/Sold and Tried more Cues than most and I always Favour the 1pc Cue.

:snooker:

Comment

Jimmy White was using a 3/4 cue in 1982, this is a clip from a match against Alex Higgins. You can see the big white joint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJ5wyFlgeM
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X