No announcement yet.

Selling Cues - 'The Price is Right!'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must admit if I sell on here I tend to just ask what I paid for it, if I buy a cue with the intention of trying to make a profit I stick it on Ebay. My reasoning behind this as that we are a forum that help each other out, and I have had some proper bargains off here, even from those you would probably class as full time dealers. I do feel we should be more open with the pricing, or at least have an offers over price it would help a lot of members to see what cues are going for, both to be able to bid and price there own cues.
    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
      I must admit if I sell on here I tend to just ask what I paid for it, if I buy a cue with the intention of trying to make a profit I stick it on Ebay. My reasoning behind this as that we are a forum that help each other out, and I have had some proper bargains off here, even from those you would probably class as full time dealers. I do feel we should be more open with the pricing, or at least have an offers over price it would help a lot of members to see what cues are going for, both to be able to bid and price there own cues.
      making a profit on ebay is extremely difficult these days, for example i tend to offer £350 for a plain TW cue now if that sells on ebay for say £450, which is not impossible i will end up with £382, not including the £50 a month you pay for being a business seller and the % of the profit you pay to HMRC at the end of the year. it is an awful lot of outlay and a lot of expense for both the buyer and the seller to make money only really for ebay and paypal!
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Is that how much they take! Jeez, it does sound a tough way to sell.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
          making a profit on ebay is extremely difficult these days, for example i tend to offer £350 for a plain TW cue now if that sells on ebay for say £450, which is not impossible i will end up with £382, not including the £50 a month you pay for being a business seller and the % of the profit you pay to HMRC at the end of the year. it is an awful lot of outlay and a lot of expense for both the buyer and the seller to make money only really for ebay and paypal!
          Totally agree, but for someone like me turning car boot sale finds or cues I've had to clean up it just keeps my paypal topped up for more purchases, I always feel guilty turning a profit from a fellow member, like I've deprived someone else that really wanted it. I think that's why the cloak and dagger of pm sales riles me so much. No disrespect intended to those who incorporate the forum into there business model and activley participate offering advice, just everyone else! Lol
          No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            Is that how much they take! Jeez, it does sound a tough way to sell.
            Yeah 10% of the final sale fee (including the postage!) then 3.4% +20p paypal fees to get your money

Comment

I sold a Parris cue to ADR once, I thought at the price I sold it to him I would make a certain amount and he would make the same(I thought that was fair ) I didn't realise how much he would lose on eBay, genuinely I thought it would cost you maybe twenty quid, lol, you can tell I'm clueless about these things.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                Yeah 10% of the final sale fee (including the postage!) then 3.4% +20p paypal fees to get your money
                sob sob - stop it!

Comment

I sold a Parris cue to ADR once, I thought at the price I sold it to him I would make a certain amount and he would make the same(I thought that was fair ) I didn't realise how much he would lose on eBay, genuinely I thought it would cost you maybe twenty quid, lol, you can tell I'm clueless about these things.
                  Now you know why so many sales get pulled from ebay, if someone makes a reasonable offer and you can avoid 10% fees it's worth doing !

Comment

it is frightening how expensive it is.

Comment

Selling Cues - 'The Price is Right!'

Ebay has its costs but we all as sellers and most importantly as buyers end up there as a result of their marketing. The fees they charge are healthy to them but are as a result of their investment in their service, technology, and advertising. It is their reach that we are paying for and I think it is justified.......but given the chance to deal outside of their fees I am there like a shot
                      On Cue Facebook Page
                      Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                      Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

Now you know why so many sales get pulled from ebay, if someone makes a reasonable offer and you can avoid 10% fees it's worth doing !
                        it is also why people put a buy it now that is too high hoping somebody will make them an off ebay offer.

Comment

Yep it's changed my mind to all this.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stupree View Post
                            Ebay has its costs but we all as sellers and most importantly as buyers end up there as a result of their marketing. The fees they charge are healthy to them but are as a result of their investment in their service, technology, and advertising. It is their reach that we are paying for and I think it is justified.......but given the chance to deal outside of their fees I am there like a shot
                            when i started selling cues on ebay their fees were a very reasonable 2% now i actually get a better deal from bonhams!

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                              when i started selling cues on ebay their fees were a very reasonable 2% now i actually get a better deal from bonhams!
                              Yep, I remember the early days too. There were to sites that entered the market at roughly the same time, ebay and QXL. I actually favoured QXL and typically it was ebay that went on to conquer.

Bonhams provide a good service but their sales aren't frequented by many of the locals down the pubs and clubs throughout the UK. .......sadly
                              On Cue Facebook Page
                              Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                              Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

Originally Posted by Stupree View Post
                                Yep, I remember the early days too. There were to sites that entered the market at roughly the same time, ebay and QXL. I actually favoured QXL and typically it was ebay that went on to conquer.

Bonhams provide a good service but their sales aren't frequented by many of the locals down the pubs and clubs throughout the UK. .......sadly
                                same - qxl was actually better! true but bonhams very good if you are selling a 1950's racing car!

Comment

Working...
                                X