Recommend a good clear linseed oil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a good clear linseed oil.

Im going to refinish my shaft which is a light coloured ash, im after a linseed oil that won't yellow the wood and will keep the ash light in colour. What can you recommend, I presume it has to be boiled linseed oil.
    sigpic

Alot of the Cue Makers say Raw Linseed Oil is better mate i always use Raw.

Gaz.

Comment

Recommend a good clear linseed oil.

Cheers Gaz, not sure why put boiled as the last lot I bought for a previous cue was Raw lol. Thanks for correcting us.

The cue I have now has a lot lighter ash so i need a light coloured linseed as the stuff I have here would yellow it.
      sigpic

Comment

I believe all linseed oils (whether raw or boiled, as well as most other finishing oils) have a natural colour which will eventually change the colour of the wood it is applied to, if ever so slightly.
        I believe there is a finishing oil which does not have much natural colour and IIRC MW mentioned it some time ago, Danish I think he said but it can be tricky to work with.
        So the trick could be not to add too much linseed at any one time and don't keep on adding oil multiple times
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I'd only ever use Raw never boiled on my cues, I'd take a look on Ebay lots of linseed oil on there, got a good deal on a bottle myself this month £5.47 for 500 ml :snooker:

Comment

Boiled will make the shaft yellower quicker than raw, i use a mixture of raw and tung oil

Comment

There's nothing wrong with using boiled linseed oil, as Mike Wooldridge has stated. For clear linseed you can get artist quality refined linseed which is very light in colour or use tung oil, like rogibear I use my own blend of linseed with tung oil, used both raw and boiled and both work well. You can use Danish oil but follow the instructions exactly, if you don't you'll end up with a horrible sticky mess, it won't darken the shaft much at all though
              Last edited by Dave Walton; 11 December 2013, 05:15 AM.

Comment

John parris selling light colour linseed cue oil. Very good i used few times. It doesn't change colour of the shaft. Hope it helps.

Comment

I go to the art shop and use a clear linseed oil that's used to mix with oil paints.

Comment

Working...
                  X