Finding "the one"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    I've not really had many cues to find one I partcularly like, though I have had many cues from different cue makers just to gauge different levels of quality down the years.

Personally so long as a cue is within a certain spec, so for me that is anywhere between 57.25-58", 9.3-9.6mm tip, 17.75-18.5oz weight, I'm fairly comfortable within those specs. For me the problem that most players have is they never really give a cue a chance. They keep buying cues in the hope it transforms their game when the reality is the only way to improve is practice hard and stick with one cue. To be good at snooker you need to know the cue inside out, know how to execute every shot so that it become a natural instinct. Too many players think a cue can make them 3 blacks better but it just doesn't work like that.

So long as a cue is well balanced, not too whippy and not too stiff the rest is down to you.
    I agree with quite a lot of this, however I am not looking for the cue to transform my game but I am looking for the cue that suits my game. I know that the answers do not lie in the cue itself and concede that I may need to alter my game and shot selection. May not be a bad idea seeing as I have never been a century break maker.

With the grading a cues playability being so subjective I do find myself buying cues based on specs then appearance and have played with many beautiful examples of craftsmanship. I have found that so many modern cues are incredibly stiff.

I do wish that we had a Green Baize or a Craftsman Cues type dealer in the south where we could easily try a few cues. It would certainly have saved me a lot of time but may mean the demise of the courier industry
    On Cue Facebook Page
    Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
    Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
      I've not really had many cues to find one I partcularly like, though I have had many cues from different cue makers just to gauge different levels of quality down the years.

Personally so long as a cue is within a certain spec, so for me that is anywhere between 57.25-58", 9.3-9.6mm tip, 17.75-18.5oz weight, I'm fairly comfortable within those specs. For me the problem that most players have is they never really give a cue a chance. They keep buying cues in the hope it transforms their game when the reality is the only way to improve is practice hard and stick with one cue. To be good at snooker you need to know the cue inside out, know how to execute every shot so that it become a natural instinct. Too many players think a cue can make them 3 blacks better but it just doesn't work like that.

So long as a cue is well balanced, not too whippy and not too stiff the rest is down to you.
      I'd have to totally agree with you there as well mate..... I think people get a little too hung up on specs.

As long it's a well made cue and within those ranges, it can only be down to you to get on the table and practice.
      Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
      Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
        Just ordered a GBL today. Just some minor changes to it and it is going out on Friday. 1 peice. I have a 3/4 GBL now. I hope this will be my last....LOL
        Love your optimism Les, but no, this will not be your last !!
        " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

Working...
        X