Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue Query

Good Evening everyone,

Sorry I already posted this under general queries incorrectly.

My Name is Henry and I live in South Africa, I am glad to be on the forum.

I used to play when I was much Younger and have started again a few months ago.

I bought a new cue today - BCE endorsed heritage cue - mark Selby.

Is it a good cue to start with?

I dont understand a couple of bit of terminlogy, please could You give me advice.

I hope it's not a solid peice of ash wood, I hope the but is different wood.

two different descriptions :

"BCE Heritage Collection Center-jointed Ash Snooker Cue Endorsed by Mark Selby (HER-300)
    BCE's Heritage Collection is the mid-range of the BCE stable.

Featuring good quality matching grain ash shafts they are fitted with a distinctive Heritage badge.

The cues feature BCE's Spiral Brass Joint System and have genuine veneer inlays on an ebonised four-point butt.

This cue is endorsed by Mark Selby and bears his signature."

And

"The Mark Selby Signature Cue Series. Just one of this wide range of 2 piece snooker cues from one of the biggest names in the snooker world and endorsed by the Jester from Leicester. The Mark Selby Signature Cue Series are Machine spliced cues which incorporate a beautiful Birds Eye maple front splice with a genuine veneer inlaid butt. Dimensions (Averaged): Length: 57 inches / 145 cm. Weight: 18 oz / 510 g. Tip: 9.5 mm."

Please explain what ebonised 4 point butt is
    what is front splice.

In dumb terms Have I bought a cue where the butt and front join with those "v" shapes.
    Is the butt different to the ash shaft.

I don't want one solid piece of wood cue.

i see there is black paint "v"s and butt or is the splice just painted on.

it seems like a nice cue.

Regards,

Henry

Hi Henry, first of all welcome to the forum. Ebonised 4 point butt = the 4 point part relates to the 4 distinct points of the splices or fingers. Ebonised basically means staining or painting other woods to look like ebony. The front splice is the wedge/splice of wood that's on the butt where the flat section is. The bad news for you is that your cue is all ash and the butt is painted black not actually spliced, the front splice and veneers however are real splices. The finish is usually pretty thick varnish/laquer and will feel sticky during play. There's no reason though why it won't play well if you keep your hands dry and can deal with the stickiness problem. Personally id have someone who knows what they're doing to remove the varnish from the shaft and oil finish it though. Or obviously buy a different cue. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news

Comment

Thank You for the information You have shared with Me.

So basically they take an ash shaft, cut it in half and put a centre joint to make 2 pc cue, then just paint on the "v" shapes.

Oops, Not too good, looks like a nice cue, However seem it will be the fire wood for my next bbq.

Comment

Basically yes. Try it it might still be a good player

Comment

thanks for ruining my day , Could you suggest where I can buy a decent cue, spliced, veneer nice wood on butt?
          Remember it is ZAR 17... to 1GBP so on the cheap side but with the specs i am looking for.

Comment

The general consensus is usually to buy the best for what you can afford to part with.

If you post a budget, then you will get suggestions to give you the most bang for your buck.

Comment

Thank You,

I am looking around 70 GBP - ZAR 1250.00

Comment

Britannia Cues are the flavour of the month around that price.

Have a shop around on ebay... You will have to pay a delivery charge though.

Comment

I don't know what's available in South Africa so its hard to suggest anything but if you speak to Adr147 (Andrew Ramsay) on here he may have something in your budget and specs, postage could be the killer though :-(

Comment

Yip, I know the postage will be hectic to here, in some situations it could be as much as the cue.
                    I have freinds going over there a lot of the time, so My timing will have to be good.

I am upset with this purchase, Thought it was an OK cue, will try it for now, and look into getting something soon.

Comment

That doesn't make it a bad cue, it kind of tricks you into believing you are getting something your not, but it could still be a nice cue to play with, one of the best players in our club plays with a centre jointed ,nylon type joint, cue that can not have cost much, he has been through all the top makers and settled on this one, you wouldn't waste your effort putting it in the bin if you saw it lying around lol, but it suits him .
                      Should add he's done a bit of work to it to get all the varnish etc off the top half.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Thank You, I was hoping for it to have been 2 different woods joined at the butt, However I will give it a go.

Comment

Was there not a TSF member in SA who was starting to make cues or arrange for cues to me made locally?
                          Can't remember is name, anyone?
                          Dont know his prices though (doubt at this level) even if he selling at the moment but you never know?
                          Good luck in your search
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yip Arataki cues.

Comment

yep I think that is the same as the TSF mamber was discussing.
                              What prices are they?
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X