No announcement yet.

Parris cue bottom filling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That makes sense too as it does weigh 18.5-19oz 15-20yrs old maybe was a one piece and been re-weighted lol

Comment

Originally Posted by alexw147 View Post
      That makes sense too as it does weigh 18.5-19oz 15-20yrs old maybe was a one piece and been re-weighted lol
      Butt looks a bit on the long side for it to have been a 1 piece, usually a 1 piece with a joint would be split at around 12 inches or so, that looks a good bit higher.

Comment

dont JP have a choice of butt length - 12" and 16" - so it could be a 16" ?
        also if it was an alteration, the joint could be placed wherever wanted?
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          dont JP have a choice of butt length - 12" and 16" - so it could be a 16" ?
          also if it was an alteration, the joint could be placed wherever wanted?
          16 inch butts tend to be solid ebony, the overall length including splices is around 22", 12 inch butts the overall length is usually around 17-18 or so inches and as they're originally built as a 1 piece they'll usually be a bit lighter as there's ash in the butt as opposed to solid ebony. The butt on that cue in the pic looks very long for it to originally have been a 1 piece.

Comment

Dean , as far as I know all early Parris were jointed at 12" or thereabouts , 16" joints were later and indeed are the preferred " modern " joint position on his website.If I remember correctly 12" joints are only an option on his " cuebuilder " for Specials etc, ,Narl , yes early Parris cues tend to be lighter .I have had two early Parris Specials 1 x circa 1986 and 1 x 1988-89 . The earliest one was jointed at 12" ( sold ) and one jointed at 11 1/2" ( mine,all mine) .Both cues started as a one piece and as such are lighter than the 3/4 with solid ebony butts , they originally had no s.d joint either . My 88-89 has no s.d joint and weighs just over 17.25 oz and the 86 weighed 18 oz , because it had an s.d. joint added later. Alex , although I am no expert , but I am talking from personal experience , I think your cue has been re-weighted , nice cue though.

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
              Dean , as far as I know all early Parris were jointed at 12" or thereabouts , 16" joints were later and indeed are the preferred " modern " joint position on his website.If I remember correctly 12" joints are only an option on his " cuebuilder " for Specials etc, ,Narl , yes early Parris cues tend to be lighter .I have had two early Parris Specials 1 x circa 1986 and 1 x 1988-89 . The earliest one was jointed at 12" ( sold ) and one jointed at 11 1/2" ( mine,all mine) .Both cues started as a one piece and as such are lighter than the 3/4 with solid ebony butts , they originally had no s.d joint either . My 88-89 has no s.d joint and weighs just over 17.25 oz and the 86 weighed 18 oz , because it had an s.d. joint added later. Alex , although I am no expert , but I am talking from personal experience , I think your cue has been re-weighted , nice cue though.
              you are about bang on, saves me some typing!
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

cheers for that info guys
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

it is jointed at 17" exactly, cue length is 58 1/2" long the butt is hollow till half way down when it seems to be solid from there on, really just wanted to know what this plug was/why it is there (i'd rather the butt was solid but you can only find out so much before buying). if i have been told correct info and going by the dark well used butt and shaft (dead straight great finish etc) was made between 1995-2000, so parris must have made the butt joint at 17" originally to get correct cue balance for a slightly longer cue perhaps, unless other makers have parris joints to use. cue came with parris ext that screws directly into the shaft.

Thanks for the insight so far guys very useful !
                  Last edited by alexw147; 24 January 2014, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X